Catch-All Anything Thread

Texsox

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I've had too many beers tonight. It was my sister's last day at work, and of course me being the younger brother, forces me to shout everyone at the bar.

And as for that Texas girl, well I wonder if she's been in a solarium lately. :bang

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 06:51 AM)
So I've had too many beers tonight. It was my sister's last day at work, and of course me being the younger brother, forces me to shout everyone at the bar.

And as for that Texas girl, well I wonder if she's been in a solarium lately.  :bang

Flaxx' DBAHO to American Dictionary: shout = buy a round of drinks.

Hope it didn't cost you gobs of Vickies, Mate.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 12:02 AM)
I just finished watching Gods and Monsters on Showtime.  It is an damn excellent film, even if you are not a James Whale/Universal Horror fan.

...and if you aren't gay...right? Or did you want to tell us something now???

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 01:33 PM)
...and if you aren't gay...right? Or did you want to tell us something now???

Yeah, if the film was about Wallace Worsley I guess they could have called it "Hunchback Mountain." :P

But, seriously, Kid, what did you think of Gods and Monsters? The imagery in homage of Bride of Frank, some very blatant and some very subtle, that was peppered throughout the film was great I thought.

A young minister was asked by a funeral director to hold a grave-side

service for a homeless man, with no family or friends, who had died while

traveling through the area. The funeral was to be held at a cemetery way

back in the country, and this man would be the first to be laid to rest

there. Here is his story.........

As I was not familiar with the backwoods area, I became lost; and being a

typical man I did not stop for directions. I finally arrived an hour late.

I saw the crew, eating lunch, but the hearse was nowhere in sight. I

apologized to the workers for my tardiness, and stepped to the side of the

open grave, where I saw the vault lid already in place. I assured the

workers I would not hold them long but this was the proper thing to do.

The workers gathered around, still eating their lunch. I poured out my

heart and soul. As I preached, the workers began to say "Amen," "Praise

the Lord," and "Glory," I preached, and I preached, like I'd never

preached before: from Genesis all the way to Revelations.

I closed the lengthy service with a prayer and walked to my car. I felt I

had done my duty for the homeless man and that the crew would leave with a

renewed sense of purpose and dedication, in spite of my tardiness.

As I was opening the door and taking off my coat, I overheard one of the

workers saying to another, "I ain't never seen anything like this before .

. . and I've been putting in septic tanks for twenty years.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 12:31 AM)
Flaxx' DBAHO to American Dictionary:  shout = buy a round of drinks.

Hope it didn't cost you gobs of Vickies, Mate.

Hey Jim, have you heard of a Belgium Beer called KWAK? My Dad's in Brussels at the moment and he's raving about it.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 07:31 PM)
Hey Jim, have you heard of a Belgium Beer called KWAK? My Dad's in Brussels at the moment and he's raving about it.

Aye, I have. I've had it in bottled form, sadly never out of a cask. It's a Flemmish regional specialty. It's been several years and I can't recall many details but I remember it being a good, earthy but not too over the top farmhouse ale typical of Flanders (and similar to the French Country ales).

If they are serving it correctly to your dad in Brussels (I'm terribly jealous, btw)then they are serving it to him in a "stirrup cup" muck like an English half-yard. The story is that however many hundred years ago the beer was sold out of a coach house inn to coachmen in a similar glass so that they could put it in the stirrups of their saddle to drink from while they were tending to their horses at night in the stables.

The more you drink the more you (think you) know.

:drink

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 01:18 PM)
But, seriously, Kid, what did you think of Gods and Monsters?  The imagery in homage of Bride of Frank, some very blatant and some very subtle, that was peppered throughout the film was great I thought.

Ahem...is this where I blow my cover??? Ummm, I actually never saw it. Heh, umm, it never interested me for some reason. I'm just not much of a "documentary" type of film fan. I know I should see it. I really just need to be in the mood for it, I think. Maybe I'll throw it into my Netflix and watch it eventually.

KWAK is pretty decent. I killed a bottle one night after working in the yard all day. It was about 100 degrees out and I had leveled the creek behind my house and chainsawed up a bunch of trees that were dead/dying .It was the most "manly" day I ever had. I actually lost 5 pounds in that one day. I was exhausted, and the family was out of town. So, I went next door to my buddies house, cracked a KWAK and got loaded on that and whatever the hell he had on tap at the time.

Hey Jim, ya ever drink up the Beast?

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 10:15 PM)
Ahem...is this where I blow my cover??? Ummm, I actually never saw it. Heh, umm, it never interested me for some reason. I'm just not much of a "documentary" type of film fan. I know I should see it. I really just need to be in the mood for it, I think. Maybe I'll throw it into my Netflix and watch it eventually.

It's about as much documentary as Shadow of the Vampire is, so basically just a a period piece with a lot of attention to detail.

Without giving too much away, I think the screenwriter and director did a great job of leveraging the fact that Whale suffered a stroke into an incredible storytelling vehicle. The stroke had left him basically unable to keep track of streams of thought or temporal awareness, so all the flashbacks, hallucinations etc. that get weaved in to tell the story find their basis in the fact that Whale can't keep any of the stuff sorted out in his brain.

It's absolutely worth seeing. Even Brendan Fraser is less annoying than usual in it. :)

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 09:11 PM)
He's gotta start somewhere.  :cheers

Before long he'll be drinking Trappist Dubel out of a chalice at dinner.  :D

LOL....it's where I have been starting. I can only see it getting more expensive. :D