Catch-All Anything Thread

Texsox

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Feb 26, 2006 -> 10:19 PM)
Whatever happened to quick sand?  It used to be a major plot point in so many of my favorite shows (eg. Gilligan's Island, The Incredible Hulk, The Dukes of Hazzard).  I remember many a Friday night spent worrying about the fate of Daisy Duke as she slowly sank deeper and deeper into the sand trying to stay as still as possible while keeping an ear out for the General Lee's welcoming horn.  Did rapid urbanization of our country's last remaining rural outposts dry up all the quick sand?  :huh

:lolhitting

I can picture a Lassie episode about that.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, try to answer this trivia challenge without going to the Internat for help.

Swiss engineer Georges de Mestral invented this product in 1948 after he took a close look at the seed pod burrs which kept sticking to his dog on their daily walk in the Alps.

What is the product?

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 09:41 AM)
OK, try to answer this trivia challenge without going to the Internat for help.

Swiss engineer Georges de Mestral invented this product in 1948 after he took a close look at the seed pod burrs which kept sticking to his dog on their daily walk in the Alps.

What is the product?

Velcro?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 12:49 PM)
Velcro?

:headbang Very good. I couldn't believe it was invented that long ago, and actually on the market as early as 1951.

I'm writing a piece on biomimetics and thought Velcro would be a good example of design inspired by nature.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 12:14 PM)
:headbang Very good.  I couldn't believe it was invented that long ago, and actually on the market as early as 1951.

I'm writing a piece on biomimetics and thought Velcro would be a good example of design inspired by nature.

Nautilus weight lifting machines would add a nice marine component to the discussion. Would the rally crede count

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 07:23 PM)
Well this should be a fun night, I'm about to bike out in this:

us_lax_closeradar_medium_usen.jpg

I don't know how much rain you've gotten, but its been a steady downpour the last 3 or 4 hr's here. Got a rain gage (eerr a glas cup) out back and it looks like at least an inch thus far.

Rain rocks though.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 06:27 PM)
Nautilus weight lifting machines would add a nice marine component to the discussion. Would the rally crede count

That they would, and ultimately the piece is a discussion of marine biomimetics. Cool stuff about taking the design of brittlestar eyes and using it to improve fiber optic transmission, making artificial bone out of a carbonate wafer matrix inspired by the form/function of the nacre (mother of pearl) of mollusk shells, barnacle adhesives, etc. . .

Playing Touch Footy (basically rugby without the mauling, tackling) today in 90 degree heat showed me how much I really need to get into shape / fit.

But I did have the honor of scoring the first try with a nice little dummy (I'm assuming nobody has any idea what I'm talkin about here). :bang :aussie:

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 1, 2006 -> 02:54 AM)
Playing Touch Footy (basically rugby without the mauling, tackling) today in 90 degree heat showed me how much I really need to get into shape / fit.

But I did have the honor of scoring the first try with a nice little dummy (I'm assuming nobody has any idea what I'm talkin about here).  :bang  :aussie:

Nope we know exactly what you are talking about...

9318smiffy.jpg