Catch-All Anything Thread

Texsox

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 09:49 AM)
Is there anything better than a Ludens Throat Drop? I mean, I like the Halls Fruit Breezers as well, but that classic cherry flavor can't be topped.

We've got things called Stepsils down here for that. I prefer the Orange Flavor myself.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 05:42 PM)
Anyone catch The Colbert Report Monday night?  Stephen gave the Sox mad props.  Was pretty cool.  He lived here for a few years when he did Second City.

He gave us a few mentions last October too. Love that damn show.

Sit down, kids - I have a NEW fish story to share with you!!!!

So we went to the pet store to get a replacement for Fishy, the dead betta.

So we get a nice reddish betta, and we're asking the TRAINEE at the pet store what fish, if any, can live with a betta........

( can ya feel what's comin'? )

......so the TRAINEE tells us that bettas get along with Goldfish pretty well.....

( how 'bout now? any guesses what's comin' yet??? )

so we buy Ruby ( the red betta ) and Goldy ( the goldfish ) and we put them in the same tank.....

( oh, I KNOW you can tell what's about to happen )

....we go to sleep, there are two fish in the tank, swimming around, looking to all the world to be the BEST of friends....

....we wake up.....there is ONE fish in the tank.

Ruby has EATEN Goldy.

So now we have to explain the damn FOOD CHAIN to my daughter!!!

:lol:

She took it pretty well, actually - we're moving (Jack) Ruby, the Goldfish Murderer, to the old small tank and getting her two goldfish for the bigger tank.

And I'm putting the tanks RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER so that murderous betta can LOOK at the two goldfish every day and salivate!!!!

Never trust a trainee, is the moral of this story.....

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 01:50 PM)
Sit down, kids - I have a NEW fish story to share with you!!!!

So we went to the pet store to get a replacement for Fishy, the dead betta.

So we get a nice reddish betta, and we're asking the TRAINEE at the pet store what fish, if any, can live with a betta........

( can ya feel what's comin'? )

......so the TRAINEE tells us that bettas get along with Goldfish pretty well.....

( how 'bout now? any guesses what's comin' yet??? )

so we buy Ruby ( the red betta ) and Goldy ( the goldfish ) and we put them in the same tank.....

( oh, I KNOW you can tell what's about to happen )

....we go to sleep, there are two fish in the tank, swimming around, looking to all the world to be the BEST of friends....

....we wake up.....there is ONE fish in the tank.

Ruby has EATEN Goldy.

So now we have to explain the damn FOOD CHAIN to my daughter!!!

She took it pretty well, actually - we're moving (Jack) Ruby, the Goldfish Murderer, to the old small tank and getting her two goldfish for the bigger tank.

And I'm putting the tanks RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER so that murderous betta can LOOK at the two goldfish every day and salivate!!!!

Never trust a trainee, is the moral of this story.....

No way, Critic.

A betta CAN'T eat a goldfish unless it a fry. Not possible. It could harass and beat it to death, but not eat it.

If you didn't have a lid on that bowl, then Goldy jumped (yes, she could have been spooked by Ruby and that made her jump). She may have flopped around and under a table or something, but I'm pretty sure you're gonna find a dried up ex goldfish lying on the floor in the next week or so.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 04:20 PM)
No way, Critic.

A betta CAN'T eat a goldfish unless it a fry.  Not possible.  It could harass and beat it to death, but not eat it.

If you didn't have a lid on that bowl, then Goldy jumped (yes, she could have been spooked by Ruby and that made her jump).  She may have flopped around and under a table or something, but I'm pretty sure you're gonna find a dried up ex goldfish lying on the floor in the next week or so.

And what exactly do you know about fish? :D

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 03:20 PM)
No way, Critic.

A betta CAN'T eat a goldfish unless it a fry.  Not possible.  It could harass and beat it to death, but not eat it.

If you didn't have a lid on that bowl, then Goldy jumped (yes, she could have been spooked by Ruby and that made her jump).  She may have flopped around and under a table or something, but I'm pretty sure you're gonna find a dried up ex goldfish lying on the floor in the next week or so.

Full steel mesh lid across the entire top of the tank.

I scoured the gravel, looked in the pump intake, looked at every square inch of the tank.

There would be no place to go for Goldy if she got out of the tank anyway - it's on a countertop and there are no gaps or cracks or anything. We've looked all over the floor a bunch of times.

There were fairly large chunks of scales on the gravel, which Jack Ruby was picking at in the morning. And I'm certain they were scales - they looked nothing like the fish food, which we put in the tank 12 hours previously.

I have no other possible explanation for Goldy's complete disappearance. I hope you're right, because that would make more sense than Jack Ruby eating her, but I see no remains of any kind.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 04:28 PM)
Full steel mesh lid across the entire top of the tank.

I scoured the gravel, looked in the pump intake, looked at every square inch of the tank.

There would be no place to go for Goldy if she got out of the tank anyway - it's on a countertop and there are no gaps or cracks or anything. We've looked all over the floor a bunch of times.

There were fairly large chunks of scales on the gravel, which Jack Ruby was picking at in the morning. And I'm certain they were scales - they looked nothing like the fish food, which we put in the tank 12 hours previously.

I have no other possible explanation for Goldy's complete disappearance. I hope you're right, because that would make more sense than Jack Ruby eating her, but I see no remains of any kind.

Well, if you found some remains (scale chunks) then it makes more sense that she could have been killed and then pulled apart. Maybe some of her ended up in the filter and some in a betta's belly. It's an impossibility, however that the jaw morphology of a betta won't accomodate eating a goldfish. In the wild, B. splendens feeds on zooplankton mosquito larvae and the like - they are not piscivores.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)
Well, if you found some remains (scale chunks) then it makes more sense that she could have been killed and then pulled apart.  Maybe some of her ended up in the filter and some in a betta's belly.  It's an impossibility, however that the jaw morphology of a betta won't accomodate eating a goldfish.  In the wild, B. splendens feeds on zooplankton mosquito  larvae and the like - they are not piscivores.

Well, then maybe the betta sold the goldfish on eBay....

:D

Whatever happened, it's just REAL weird - I never had a fish disappear overnight like that! If I ever find any remains, I'll post a followup.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 07:59 PM)
Well, then maybe the betta sold the goldfish on eBay....

:D

Whatever happened, it's just REAL weird - I never had a fish disappear overnight like that! If I ever find any remains, I'll post a followup.

This site has been turning into Fishtalk.com lately and I love it!

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 07:25 PM)
This site has been turning into Fishtalk.com lately and I love it!

Sorry about Fishtalk.com, man, but I been havin' me some FISH DRAMA lately...

Maybe I should get the fish a little green seat, ask him how Singleton's doing as a radio guy and what he thinks about Barry Bonds and bring this full-circle.

:bang

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)
It's an impossibility, however that the jaw morphology of a betta won't accomodate eating a goldfish.  In the wild, B. splendens feeds on zooplankton mosquito  larvae and the like - they are not piscivores.

uhmm, exactly what I was thinking . . . :huh:

I have for sale a FlaSoxxJim to English (with Latin subtitles) phrase book available on eBay. :D

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 01:05 PM)
Which posters do you speak of?

Who the hell are you? :D

I forgot his name already, but I looked and the guy had 4,000 posts and I never heard of him. Then I looked in a few more threads and found a bunch of people I didn't recognize.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)

Who the hell are you?  :D

I forgot his name already, but I looked and the guy had 4,000 posts and I never heard of him. Then I looked in a few more threads and found a bunch of people I didn't recognize.

It was busy while you were on vacation.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 01:55 PM)
It was busy while you were on vacation.

What was sadder was the two players who earned roster spots and I'm looking at the roster thinking, who the hell is he? March is a terrible month to miss everything. I called Kap for an update.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 02:07 PM)
yeah, but the shampoo stains will show up once it dries.

Were you being sarcastic? Haha because I definitely wouldn't shampoo my hat. I just heard this from somebody in the gift shop at the Cell yesterday after I got my hat. I thought they might be bulls***ting me.