Catch-All Anything Thread

Texsox

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 09:46 AM)
I saw a lot of this when I was in Cali. recently and now I'm seeing it here these past few days that we've had warm weather.  Women wearing shorts or short skirts and huge cowboy boots.  WTF?  I'm not sure I like it.

Anyone?

I prefer jeans and boots myself. The skirts and boots just seems a little weird. BTW, a great fitting pair of boots is about the best feeling on the feet. I have a pair of Justin steel toe ropers that are more comfy than slippers.

Two for one

Teen continues family's Eagle Scout tradition

HARTLAND TOWNSHIP, Mich. When Tom Stevenson achieved the rank of Eagle Scout, he fulfilled a promise he made to his great-grandfather.

Robert Stevenson started a family tradition when he earned the honor 75 years ago.

Tom's father, Bob Stevenson, and grandfather, Dick Stevenson, also were Eagle Scouts. They'll be on hand with more than 100 other guests at a Sunday ceremony honoring 17-year-old Tom at Hartland High School in Livingston County.

Only two-percent of all Boy Scouts win Eagle Scout status.

Tom also played varsity football and has maintained a three-point-nine grade-point average.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 09:51 AM)
The boots always fit huge and loose on their legs, so they move around, not to mention, it's summer, aren't they hot as hell?

Not unusually hot. Your feet and lower legs are always in shade. Actually sandals and stuff with the sun beating down, are hot also. The desert dwellers learned a thing or two about surviving in heat and sun. Loosly wrapped, garmets covering the skin are usually cooler. It is also one of the times in the out of doors where cotton actually works well. In cold weather cotton kills.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 09:01 AM)
Not unusually hot. Your feet and lower legs are always in shade. Actually sandals and stuff with the sun beating down, are hot also. The desert dwellers learned a thing or two about surviving in heat and sun. Loosly wrapped, garmets covering the skin are usually cooler. It is also one of the times in the out of doors where cotton actually works well. In cold weather cotton kills.

It's a pain in the ass, not to mention a major trip hazard, when my loosely wrapped cloth shoes unravel mid-stride. My feet do stay cool, though.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 11:01 PM)
It's a pain in the ass, not to mention a major trip hazard, when my loosely wrapped cloth shoes unravel mid-stride.  My feet do stay cool, though.

I love the phrase, at least it's a dry heat. My oven is a dry heat. Stick your head in there and turn your hair dryer on high, and you have a lot of days in Texas. If you don't love the heat, this isn't the place for you.

103 >>>>> -10

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 10:01 PM)
I love the phrase, at least it's a dry heat. My oven is a dry heat. Stick your head in there and turn your hair dryer on high, and you have a lot of days in Texas. If you don't love the heat, this isn't the place for you.

103 >>>>> -10

Yeah gimme the heat any day of the week over the cold. :aussie:

Although I prefer the "dry heat" you get in a place like Phoenix, compared to the 100 temp days we get down here in the summer. Usually that heat comes from the wind, and it ain't that good of a feeling outside when you've got a heat vacuum blowing right at you.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 06:15 AM)
Yeah gimme the heat any day of the week over the cold.  :aussie:

Although I prefer the "dry heat" you get in a place like Phoenix, compared to the 100 temp days we get down here in the summer. Usually that heat comes from the wind, and it ain't that good of a feeling outside when you've got a heat vacuum blowing right at you.

We have really high humidity at the island. The Rio Grande Valley will range on the same day at the same time from 90 degrees and 55% humidity at the beach to 104 degrees and 15% humidity away from the beach. And there is always a 12 mph wind from the southeast.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 06:53 AM)
No way do I want it that hot. It's miserable. You can't take off your skin! At least in the cold you can put more clothes on to get comfortable.

It is what you become use to. Bundled up in a parka, boots, gloves, hats, and having your cheeks frozen and finger's numb isn't my idea of fun anymore. And for the extremes, it's the same, air conditioned home to air conditioned car to air conditioned office. Same as Chicago in the winter. I also appreciate the casual dress that heat encourages. The only suit I wear anymore is a swim suit.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 08:03 AM)
It is what you become use to. Bundled up in a parka, boots, gloves, hats, and having your cheeks frozen and finger's numb isn't my idea of fun anymore.  And for the extremes, it's the same, air conditioned home to air conditioned car to air conditioned office. Same as Chicago in the winter. I also appreciate the casual dress that heat encourages. The only suit I wear anymore is a swim suit.

I lived in the insane Florida heat for 9 years. I'm well aware of it, the fact that I don't like it, and what I prefer.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 07:08 AM)
I lived in the insane Florida heat for 9 years. I'm well aware of it, the fact that I don't like it, and what I prefer.

It isn't for anyone. Here, the wind is more a nuisance for me. Don't get me wrong, I dislike 103 for weeks on end. I just can't take the extreme cold anymore. I look at some of my ice fishing gear and wonder how I ever survived camping on the ice for a weekend. That kind of cold would kill me now.

When I first moved here I laughed when the temps hit 40 and they were opening up warming shelters everywhere. I put on a light jacket and wondered what all the fuss was about. Now 60 degrees and I'm bundled up like an idiot cursing the "cold". :D

I am certain if I ever move back north, I will wonder how I ever survived 105.

And Steff, is it the capris year round that would cause the problem :D

My wife has family in Palm Desert, Ca. I'm not sure why they didn't just build that city on the sun. We made the mistake of going there in late July early August one year. They get the meanest, most relentless, opressive sun ever. At 7:00 am it was 101 degrees and topped out at 128 one day!!

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 09:23 AM)
My wife has family in Palm Desert, Ca.  I'm not sure why they didn't just build that city on the sun.  We made the mistake of going there in late July early August one year.  They get the meanest, most relentless, opressive sun ever.  At 7:00 am it was 101 degrees and topped out at 128 one day!!

See.. that just aint right. You can't even walk outside without feeling like you're melting. Can't do anything. It's miserable.

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 09:31 AM)
See.. that just aint right. You can't even walk outside without feeling like you're melting. Can't do anything. It's miserable.

It's a seasonal golf resort town. It's all country clubs and winter homes. Come late May, people get the hell otta there and head back east, then they flock back in October.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 09:45 AM)
It's a seasonal golf resort town.  It's all country clubs and winter homes.  Come late May, people get the hell otta there and head back east, then they flock back in October.

One of our agents takes Jim to some golf outing out there every June. Every night he calls and it's the same thing over and over... "It's effing hot. Sweating all day. Have to wear pants".. bla, bla, bla...

How is that fun?

I love hot weather and I loathe cold weather. I enjoy baking outside and if I have a bottle of water handy you can handle the heat. Our bodies were built with defenses for the heat but when it is brutally cold and you are sitting in your car shaking violenty as you wait for it to heat up...Oh do I hate that.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 09:50 AM)
I love hot weather and I loathe cold weather. I enjoy baking outside and if I have a bottle of water handy you can handle the heat. Our bodies were built with defenses for the heat but when it is brutally cold and you are sitting in your car shaking violenty as you wait for it to heat up...Oh do I hate that.

Remote start. :P

QUOTE(Steff @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 09:48 AM)
One of our agents takes Jim to some golf outing out there every June. Every night he calls and it's the same thing over and over... "It's effing hot. Sweating all day. Have to wear pants".. bla, bla, bla...

How is that fun?

June, July and August are NOT the months to be out there. Now Dec., Jan and Feb. guaranteed 75 degrees and sunny every day from 10am-3:00pm.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Apr 14, 2006 -> 09:50 AM)

If we're talking about extremes, I look at it this way, no matter how cold it is outside, if you put on enough clothing, you can stay warm. On the other hand, if it's 110 degrees outside, you could be butt naked and you will still feel like you're on fire.

I'll take 90 over 20 any day though. People who prefer the cold are wierd.