Catch-All Anything Thread

Texsox

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 11:24 PM)
ninjabeg.jpg

By Ninja he means Malt45 and by family he means his liver and by Kung Fu he means more Malt45 . . .

I like the smiley faces on the bottom. Think Goldy could put together a seminar on cardboard sign making for personal fund raising entrepreneurs?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 10:36 AM)
I don't know if you guys come across many of them, but downtown there are a lot of panhandlers.  Do you ever give them money?  Never? sometimes? always?  If sometimes, how do you determine when?

Funny my mom story: she never gives money to pan handlers. But one day she saw a guy with a dog, and a sign in front of the dog that read: If there is no dog behind this sign, I ate him.

She gave him a few bucks.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 10:04 AM)
Ocassionally you'll see people out there with kids, I can't walk away from that.

Me neither. I give most of the time even thought most of them probably make more than I do... :ph34r:

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 08:36 AM)
I don't know if you guys come across many of them, but downtown there are a lot of panhandlers.  Do you ever give them money?  Never? sometimes? always?  If sometimes, how do you determine when?

If they make me laugh, I give them a little bit. If they have kids with, I usually give them something. If they look psycho, I give them a little bit.

True story, in my little corner of the world, there are two country clubs. The old school, old money, boring club and the one I belonged to. About two blocks from their club is an overpass and a regular "personal fund raising entrepreneur" who was always there. I was leaving the club, and had just received an ugly cap with that club's logo. I gave the guy the cap and told him everytime I saw him, and he was wearing it, I would give him a dollar. He looked damn good in it. For about three weeks, I was giving the guy a few dollars a week, and so were a couple buddies of mine from the club.

All of a sudden, he's not wearing it. Someone from that club gave him $40 for the cap. The offer started at $5 and I heard later the guy explained he was making $5 a day with that cap. LOL.

Depends on the situation.

I work overnights on Sundays, so if I get approached on the way back to the car at 2 or 3am, I generally give something. During the day, not usually.

One time I was wearing a Reds batting practice jersey and this guy walks up to me ( seemed to be enjoying some "adult beverages" along the way ) and says "YES!!! THE BIG RED MACHINE!!! OHhhh, man, I remember THAT team, boy!!! There was Joe Bench.....and Charlie Hustle.....and Johnny Perez......and MORGAN. Man, those boys could PLAY SOME BALL!!!"

So I'm just smiling and chatting a little, trying to ease my way outta there, when he pulls a beat-up Streetwise out of his jacket and says "Can one Reds fan help another one out?" He got me, I expected a "request" for some cash, but not the Streetwise!

I gave him two bucks - one for the paper and one for the act!

QUOTE(The Critic @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 09:28 AM)
Depends on the situation.

I work overnights on Sundays, so if I get approached on the way back to the car at 2 or 3am, I generally give something. During the day, not usually.

One time I was wearing a Reds batting practice jersey and this guy walks up to me ( seemed to be enjoying some "adult beverages" along the way ) and says "YES!!! THE BIG RED MACHINE!!! OHhhh, man, I remember THAT team, boy!!! There was Joe Bench.....and Charlie Hustle.....and Johnny Perez......and MORGAN. Man, those boys could PLAY SOME BALL!!!"

So I'm just smiling and chatting a little, trying to ease my way outta there, when he pulls a beat-up Streetwise out of his jacket and says "Can one Reds fan help another one out?" He got me, I expected a "request" for some cash, but not the Streetwise!

I gave him two bucks - one for the paper and one for the act!

I like guys like that, putting a little effort out there. I like a good emergency, stuck on the road, whatever story. I'll suprise some of the tellers, if I can bust their story, I'll still give them some coinage.

I've seen some creative attempts, like the guy who 'helps you' flag down a cab, or opens a door for you. My car broke down once and I was looking under the hood when the neighborhood drunk came up to me and gave me his 'former mechanic professional advice', then asked for a few bucks.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)
I've seen some creative attempts, like the guy who 'helps you' flag down a cab, or opens a door for you.  My car broke down once and I was looking under the hood when the neighborhood drunk came up to me and gave me his 'former mechanic professional advice', then asked for a few bucks.

The guys who are making s*** up, and you know and more importantly *they* know it are fun. The guys who are talking s*** because they don't know where they are, scare me. Give me the drunk who makes up stuff, has no earthly clue, and I'll give him a couple bucks and remember why I miss YAS* when he doesn't post for a couple days. :cheers

*I kid because I care™

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 11:05 AM)
Dammit - when is the supposed free lunch getting here?!  If it doesn't get here soon, I am going to break out the lunch I brought from home.

Bush has been trying to get it to you, but the damn democrats keep blocking it.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 09:36 AM)

Almost never. I'm broke.

Anyone see the same people for years?

I've seen the same guy on the El for many years and used to have his speech memorized, and there's a lady who's always on State St. with her kids...