Catch-All Anything Thread

Texsox

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 08:28 AM)
Another ex of mine is getting married. Definitely threw me for a loop this morning. There should be some sort of law about not telling people that before noon. Ugh.

Sounds like you need a hug.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 08:47 AM)
Sounds like you need a hug.

Yeah. The situation was made worse, that when I last chatted with him (granted, last July) he wasn't seeing anyone...

On the plus side, now, 1/2 of the guys I've dated are married or getting ready to be. That means I'll only have to get that call a few more times. :)

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)
Yeah. The situation was made worse, that when I last chatted with him (granted, last July) he wasn't seeing anyone...

On the plus side, now, 1/2 of the guys I've dated are married or getting ready to be. That means I'll only have to get that call a few more times.  :)

I know how you feel. Wish I could help..... and I mean that in the most respectful way.

Hans Grapje was raised in a Catholic school in The

Hague, Netherlands and, as a young man, aspired to

become a priest However, he was drafted into the Army

during WWII and spent two years co-piloting B17s until

his aircraft was shot down in 1943 and he lost his

left arm.

Captain Grapje spent the rest of the war as a

chaplain, giving spiritual aid to soldiers, both

Allied and enemy. After the war, he became a priest,

serving as a missionary in Africa, piloting his own

plane (in spite of his handicap) to villages across

the continent.

In 1997, Father Grapje was serving in Zimbabwe when an

explosion in a silver mine caused a cave-in.

Archbishop Grapje went down into the mine to

administer last rights to those too severely injured

to move. Another shaft collapsed, and he was buried

for three days, suffering multiple injuries, including

the loss of his right eye. The high silver content in

the mine's air gave him purpura, a life-long condition

characterized by purplish skin blotches.

Although Cardinal Grapje devoted his life to the

service of God as a scholar, mentor, and holy man,

church leaders agree: he will never ascend to the

Papacy.

No one wants a one-eyed, one-armed, flying purple Papal leader.

Wow. That hurt. :bang

But it does remind one of the story of Ibrahim the monk...

A wandering monk, Ibrahim walked barefoot everywhere he went, to the point that the soles of his feet eventually became quite thick and leathery.

And because he ate very little, he gradually became very frail.

Several days often passed between opportunities to brush his teeth, so he usually had bad breath.

Therefore, throughout the region, he came to be known as:

the "Super-Calloused Fragile Mystic Hexed by Halitosis."

(Um-diddle-iddle-iddle Um-diddle-ay :D)

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)

On the plus side, now, 1/2 of the guys I've dated are married or getting ready to be. That means I'll only have to get that call a few more times.  :)

Enjoy being young and the marriages and in a few years babies that happen to friends, it will happen to you, if you want it.

The other end of the line is where life really sucks.

Overheard in New York tidbit for the day:

Dumb teen: Hey, look at this! It says "Train for jobs in beeyotch."

Smarter teen: Fool! That word is biotech. Why you gotta be ignorant all your life?

--1 train

A review from imdb...

First, let me just say that I consider the original Sandlot the ULTIMATE "boys of summer" movie. (Yes, even marginally beating out Stand By Me.) That said, I was disgusted to hear this was getting made. If you loved the first, DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THIS ONE.

The single great thing that made the first movie a classic was the fantastic performances of all the kids. The kids in this movie are just annoying! It seems like they filmed each scene a piece at a time to allow the kids to remember EACH line! I'd blame the director, but it's the SAME one as the first!

*SPOILER*(Kind of) - What makes this movie an even more unforgivable sin is the BLATANT ripped off gags and story elements of the original: a retelling of an old story by lanternlight, a fast kid versus the beast, kids yelling for comedic value, and worst of all... they simultaneously re-use AND WASTE the line, "You play ball like a girl!" ARRRGHH!

What IS good about this movie? The only thing I can think of is: A) a different decade that added a different flavour and B) the heartbreaker-in-training Samantha Burton who was clearly cloned from the DNA of Rachel Leigh Cook and Angelina Jolie. And WHY is it Brett Kelly is still getting steady work!?

Please, I beg you, skip The Sandlot 2 and watch the original again. While you're cherishing THAT treasure and wondering if the sequel was a blatant money-grab, think about this... the end of this movie left room of another sequel. Sigh. Groan. 3 out of 10

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 28, 2005 -> 07:20 PM)
I :bang

Or are they just ripping the story, and doing it all over again?  Like they tried to do with Home Alone 3.

Looked like the same concept. Although the sandlot kids had girls on the team this time going up against the local little league or whoever it is they're supposed to be playing.

James Earl Jones is in it again, though.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Apr 29, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
We were in Babies R Us over the weekend shopping for a shower gift.  One of the songs we heard  while in there was "PYT" by Michael Jackson... knowing what I know now, that song is f***ing disgusting. :puke

Michael Jackson playing in a babies store? :ph34r: