Catch-All Anything Thread

Texsox

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 09:41 AM)
The Great wall of China is neither continuous, visible from space, nor built within one dynasty... discuss.

The viewable from space thing is an absolute myth. It's more than long enough, but not nearly wide enough to be seen from space.

And yes, three distinct dynasties contributed to its construction. In fact, during its initial construction, three distinct Chinese states independently built walls that were later connected to become part of a unified Great Wall.

as far as the discontinuity, I assume most of the rubbled and missing sections were there at one time but I don't know.

I've always liked the personification of the Great Wall as a huge dragon snaking across China, with its tail up in the ast and its head driking from the sea in the west.

Absolutely the Great Wall remains high on my must see life list.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 09:48 AM)
I also think the "close as a blade" claims made by some companies is also bunk, but I've been a convert to electric shavers for the last 3+ years.  They are a lot better than they used to be.

I really like the Norelco Advantage shaver I have.  It's one of the units that takes the cartridge of Nivea skin lotion so when you press a button it pumps a little lotion to stand your beard up and lubricate the blades as theu cut.  Pretty pricey at $80 or so I think, and you have to replace the blades every 6 months or so, but I've had the same one since Christmas 2001.

Wow, nice I'm converted. I'll pick something up and just return it if it sux.

THX.

QUOTE(winodj @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 09:48 AM)
I have a friend who is so broke that he told me yesterday he didn't have any money to eat for the next two weeks and had no food.

I've been there and it is rough. It's a sobering thought to think so many of us are just an injury/illness or lay-off from being in that same boat.

I wish your friend the best. I can tell him first hand from my leanest days that a 10-lb bag of potatoes (did I just muff that spelling Quayle-style?) can keep a college student alive for a week.

Apparently West Nile Virus was found in some animal/mosquito or another in my neighborhood as they sprayed last night. Of course before last night I had yet to get a skeeter bite and this morning I work up with two of them. BASTARDS!!! lol

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 10:02 AM)
I've been there and it is rough.  It's a sobering thought to think so many of us are just an injury/illness or lay-off from being in that same boat.

I wish your friend the best.  I can tell him first hand from my leanest days that a 10-lb bag of potatoes (did I just muff that spelling Quayle-style?) can keep a college student alive for a week.

I agree about the taters being an inexpensive form of sustinance. I lived on those during college as well.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 10:12 AM)
I agree about the taters being an inexpensive form of sustinance.  I lived on those during college as well.

Non name brand cereal and Mac & Cheese is good also.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 11:15 AM)

Hell yes Malt-o-Meal.

And you can get two meals out of an 84 cent box of Rice-a-Roni. Not delicious, but doable.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 10:16 AM)
Brian loves it when I make that and then mix in some beef. His favorite lunch lol.

Mmmm, generic cereal with beef. My favorite... :P

QUOTE(winodj @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 10:21 AM)
I lived for ten days off friends handouts and Ramen and mustard.

I sent him 25 dollars to help out.

Damn good friend ya are! $25 and a smart plan can keep him eating for a decent amount of time. Lots of starch to fill the belly up, and some canned veggies to maintain vitamins.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Aug 2, 2005 -> 05:42 PM)
Am I the only one who has gotten sick of watching sportscenter lately because they play that "open road" song every commercial basically.

You've only got about 32 more days to endure it. It'll pass before you know it.

Just found a splinter of wood in my sammich. Scared the hell outta me because I thought I broke another bracker. It still sucks because I made my sammich and I damn well know I didn't put that there. :huh:

Edited by Queen Prawn

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
Just found a splinter of wood in my sammich.  Scared the hell outta me because I thought I broke another bracker.  It still sucks because I made my sammich and I damn well know I didn't put that there.  :huh:

WOOD? wtf, so who did?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
WOOD?  wtf, so who did?

It sure the heck looks like a splinter of wood. Only thing I can think of is that it is wheat chaff (sp?) from the crust on the whole wheat bread.