Catch-All Anything Thread

Texsox

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 10:55 AM)
Also sorry to hear about Stinky, QP.

You don't know it, but your affection for hamsters actually made me get one for the kids after being out of the rodent pet thing for 25 years.  We have a very friendly teddy bear named Squirmy who I admit I enjoy having around as much as the kids. The 5 Cat Army isn't sure why we brought them such a delicious looking morsel only to keep them away from it, but they are starting too realize that hamsters are friends not food.  The cats have now moved on to staring endlessly at the tank in my daughter's room with her pet turtles in it.

Don't tell your kids that or you'll be paying for therapy for years. . . :P

And I'm sorry about Stinky Queen, that really sucks. Pets are like family--except that they're always nice. It's always horrible when they go.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)
Don't tell your kids that or you'll be paying for therapy for years. . . :P

And I'm sorry about Stinky Queen, that really sucks. Pets are like family--except that they're always nice. It's always horrible when they go.

Yeah, I guess that didn't come out right, did it? :bang

For the record, My Kids >>> My Kids' Hamster

Although feeding and cleaning up after the kids

My cat never really cared too much about the hamster or the fish we had. She was curious at first, but then moved on.

I'm noticing a trend with these hamutaro names:

Stinky

Speedy

Squirmy

Mine growing up though were Flower and Flower II. I was original. My sisters was Rinky Dink. Rinky was a mean little bastard though.

It's been a rough few days. Monday, my car started acting off so I had to request an emergency day off for yesterday. By monday night we knew Stinky wasn't going to make it and then whil Brain was getting ready for work, we got a call from his sister that his dad was rushed to the hospital. Here it is Wednesday and they still don't know what is wrong. Took the car in Tuesday and it turned out to be a wheel bearing (much worse than anticipated), but at least it was covered by warranty so it was $400 out of the dealership's pocket (dealership, not manufacturer warranty), not mine. Then stinky died last night. . . yup, rough couple of days, but we made it and hopefully Mr C is out of the hospital soon.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)
My cat never really cared too much about the hamster or the fish we had. She was curious at first, but then moved on.

I'm noticing a trend with these hamutaro names:

Stinky

Speedy

Squirmy

Mine growing up though were Flower and Flower II. I was original. My sisters was Rinky Dink. Rinky was a mean little bastard though.

The hamsters of my childhood included the very unoriginally named Snowball and Teddy, and also the wryly named (so I thought) Augustus Gloop – he was the fat hamster that looked like he was going to get stuck in his Habitrail tube like the kid from Willy Wonka.

I also had a turtle named Sal Manella and then in college I had two iguanas named Kid Charlemagne (cool points if you get the ref) and Mr. Primitive.

Sorry QP. Pets add so much to our lives, but there is always the down side, when they leave us. Stinky was a lucky rodent to live such a happy life. I am certain that you will be rewarded for caring for one of God's creatures like you did.

A professor at Cleveland University was giving a lecture of the supernatural.

To get a feel for his audience, he asks, "How many people here believe in ghosts?"

About 90 students raise their hands.

"Well, that's a good start. Out of those of you who believe in ghosts, do any of you think you have seen a ghost?"

About 40 students raise their hands.

"That's really good. I'm really glad you take this seriously. Has anyone here ever talked to a ghost?"

About 15 students raise their hand.

"Has anyone here ever touched a ghost?"

3 students raise their hands.

"That's fantastic. Now let me ask you one question further...Have any of you ever made love to a ghost?"

Way in the back, Bubba raises his hand.

The professor takes off his glasses, and says "Son, all the years I've been giving this lecture, no one has ever claimed to have made love to a ghost.

You've got to come up here and tell us about your experience."

The big redneck student replied with a nod and a grin, and began to make his way up to the podium.

When he reached the front of the room, the professor asks, "So, Bubba, tell us what it's like to have sex with a ghost?"

Bubba replied, "Shiiiit! From way back thar I thought you said 'Goats'."

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 03:11 PM)

Then you need to ditch Mr. Hashana and get a boyfriend that will spend more time.

Man, if there was a Mr. Hashana that could get me off for 3 days, I would not let that one get away!!!!!

Queen, I’m sorry to hear about your loss. It can be difficult enough to find a sympathetic shoulder to lean on when grieving for a “traditional” pet like a cat or dog. It’s nice to see that people here understand your feelings of sadness about Stinky.

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 04:37 PM)
Queen, I’m sorry to hear about your loss.  It can be difficult enough to find a sympathetic shoulder to lean on when grieving for a “traditional” pet like a cat or dog.  It’s nice to see that people here understand your feelings of sadness about Stinky.

I agree and I greatly appreciate it. My mom was at the game with me last night when I found out he had died. She was actually comforting which is most unlike my mother. Brian was worried about how I would take it, but couldn't put it off anymore as he was leaving for work around the 7th inning and didn't want me to find out by coming home and seeing an empty spot where the cage was. He took care of the burial services so I didn't have to see him (if anyone digs behind our garage, I am afraid of what they might think with the 3 hamster graves we have back there).

Thanks again everyone for the thoughts, it does help.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 02:25 PM)
Man, if there was a Mr. Hashana that could get me off for 3 days, I would not let that one get away!!!!!

Wow. If he could get you off for three days, he would be a gaziollionaire and never have to work a day in his life.

Putting the S in SL&P

Just finished watching the Season 3 opener of Nip/Tuck on Tivo...

IMO it is the best show currently on television.

It's the only show that when I'm finished watching I desperately want to see the next episode, the only other show that ever did this for me was 24.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 11:51 PM)
Just finished watching the Season 3 opener of Nip/Tuck on Tivo...

IMO it is the best show currently on television.

It's the only show that when I'm finished watching I desperately want to see the next episode, the only other show that ever did this for me was 24.

I bought season 2 for myself as an early b-day gift and watched the entire set Sunday night/Monday morning even though I watched it all last season. LOVE it!! The premier was slow in the begining (icky big lady) but they sure did kick it up a notch during the last 20 minutes. ;)

Looking forward to this season. It's one of those shows you can watch over and over again. :cheers

A Lesson in Change

It took a major health scare for me to learn that I needed to start paying attention to my life.

By Alan Alda

I was in an ambulance, bumping down a mountain road for an hour and a half. Someone on a gurney was moaning at the top of his voice. It was me.

I was gripped by something that comes upon us from time to time, whether we like it or not: change. It wasn't something I felt I really needed.

I was aware of being tripped up by change for the first time when I was seven years old. One day I was playing with my friends and the next I was in bed with a case of polio. I got over that, but a year later, my dog died from eating leftover Chinese food and I got introduced to the biggest change there is. I suddenly realized that death is permanent. It won't go away; nothing you do can bring your dog back.

Then in my teens, I chose a profession that has change at its very core; I became an actor. People in other lines of work sometimes don't change jobs until years have gone by. Actors change them every few weeks. M*A*S*H, of course, went on for eleven years, but that was an oasis that only made a desert of change seem even hotter. Every new job is another set of challenges, with new skills to master, or fail at in a public way. And every few years the kind of part you were once right for is only right for the generation behind you.

You'd think after forty years or so of a life like this that I'd be used to change. But it still could surprise me when it made its blunt and unforgiving entrance. I suddenly had to leave the familiar place I was in and go into the unknown. I did know that if I didn't accept change I couldn't grow, I couldn't learn. I couldn't make progress at anything unless I was willing to go through this dark tunnel of uncertainty. So I went through it, but usually I went through it warily, sometimes even a little suspiciously.

It took a lesson on top of a mountain in Chile to make me accept change in a way I never had before. I think I even began to like it.

I was in an observatory, in in a remote part of Chile, interviewing astronomers for a science program called Scientific American Frontiers. The show often called for me to do dangerous things in far-off places, and I was always a reluctant adventurer because I'm a cautious person. This wasn't dangerous; it was just talk, but suddenly something inside me literally started to die. My intestine had become crimped and its blood supply was choked off. Every few minutes more and more of it was going bad, and within a few hours, so would the rest of me.

The astronomers brought me down the mountain and hustled me to the closest town; not a very big one, but amazingly, there was a surgeon there who was expert in intestinal surgery. I had only a few hours. There was no chance to fly to a larger city.

It's not just that I'm cautious; I usually practice a form of caution almost indistinguishable from cowardice. And yet I wasn't frightened. It happened too quickly for fear to set in. Knowing I might not wake up from the surgery, I dictated a few words to my wife and children and grandchildren. And then I went under.

I woke up a few hours later with a deep understanding that this surgeon had given me my life. I was grateful to him in a way I had never been grateful to anyone before; I was grateful to the nurses and to the painkillers; I was grateful to the soft Chilean cheese they gave me to break my fast. The first bite of that bland cheese, because it was the first taste of food I had in my new life, was gloriously complex and delicious. Everything about life tasted good to me now. Everything was new and bright and shining.

I hadn't asked for this change and I certainly wouldn't have picked it if I had a choice, but it actually transformed and excited me.

When I got home, I saw that I was paying more attention to things. The way the cheese tasted when they finally let me eat again became the taste of life for me. And I began doing more of the things I care about and caring more about whatever things I did. It didn't matter if what I was doing was an official, important enterprise -- or a game on a computer screen. I gave it my attention. My sense of taste for everything had been heightened.

It's only been two years since that night in Chile. Maybe this will all go away, and maybe I'll take life more for granted again. But I hope not. I like the way it tastes.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 11:51 PM)

"rescue me" is the only show i can say that i had those feelings about anytime lately.

QUOTE(SnB @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 09:40 AM)
"rescue me" is the only show i can say that i had those feelings about anytime lately.

That too. The difference is, I Tivo'ed the entire 2nd season of Rescue Me, week by week and didn't watch any of the episodes until one day where I watched the entire season at one time. So I never had to wait for next week.

FX is probably my favorite channel right now with Rescue Me, Nip/Tuck, Starved, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and others. It's passed up every other channel.