Catch-All Anything Thread

Texsox

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 12:05 AM)
I saw that on Crumb book on Amazon, it looks good.  Thanks for the review.

Kitchen Sink repronted his Legends of the Blues trading card set last year, and supposedly they are also doing/have done the jazz and country sets as well.  11 bucks for reprinted sets beats the heck out of a hundred dollars or so for the originals unless you are a serious collector.

I suppose you've seen the movie Crumb by Terry Zwigoff?  Really gives you a good look at how warped the guy is.  I suggested to my wife we watch that and American Splendor as a double feature one night, but she didn't go for it.

My kinda person. f***ed up people ( like crumb) have always intrigued me and gets me to want to learn as much possible about them. The one word i hate being throw around with him throw is racist. He is basically everything and anything else... but not racist. He has alot of respect for black people and was basically just writing about how things were at the time he was growing up. He even mentions it in the book i suggested.

What i find weird is that he never mentions pekar in ''crumb'' but r crumb gets a mention in american splendor? They were supposedly good friends for a long time and stilla re to this day. He also hated ''crumb'' and hated the fritz the cat movie.

(On the hit movie "Fritz the Cat" which was based on his comics): "They put words in Fritz's mouth I never would've had him say. It was not my movie. I had nothing to do with it. They just used a couple of my stories. But a lot of people seem to think I was involved - that bothers me."

He even sued to get his name removed fromt he credits...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068612/trivia

Believe it or not... it's not every day you find someone that either knows or likes crumb.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thing is, I'm also a big Ralph Bakshi, so i enjoyed his take on Fritz in the movie version. No, it wasn't Crumb's Fritz, but I still think it catches a lot of the flavor of street life at the time. It wasn't as good as Wizards or Heavy Traffic, or even American Pop, but it was a solid Bakshi film from his heyday.

I don't know about the Pekar/Crumb relationship, or why Crumb seems to slight him now.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 07:01 AM)
I believe the history of pop culture can be found here, in this thread. We should bind it and sell it. Like a pet rock.

The guy MADE a million dollars...

I suggest we market my "jump to conclusions" mat...

Only you, the king of Green.

It's not that easy being green;

Having to spend each day the color of the leaves.

When I think it could be nicer being red, or yellow or gold...

or something much more colorful like that.

It's not easy being green.

It seems you blend in with so many other ord'nary things.

And people tend to pass you over 'cause you're

not standing out like flashy sparkles in the water

or stars in the sky.

But green's the color of Spring.

And green can be cool and friendly-like.

And green can be big like an ocean, or important like a mountain,

or tall like a tree.

When green is all there is to be

It could make you wonder why, but why wonder why?

Wonder, I am green and it'll do fine, it's beautiful!

And I think it's what I want to be.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 12:02 AM)
Actually it's from a huge Canadian Show called Trailer Park Boys.  It's risen to cult like status up here, they're even making a movie now.  You should check it out off of like torrentspy or something, it's the funniest thing I've seen on television since Seinfeld.

Great...you guys just got the guys at work here basically cheering now. They are all HUGE fans of that show. It is pretty damn funny. Randy there is a sexy beast.

Now do some hot knives and get to work.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 01:29 AM)
BTW, in real life, when talking to someone that posts here, have you found yourself saying, "that was in green"?

No. Basically when I talked to Jason, all he wanted to know was how hot the Aussie Chicks were. :nono

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 11:35 PM)
And how old were you when you came Down Under?  :P

Hold on, let me do the math. . .13? Oh my god, that was 10 years ago. AGH! I'm ancient.

And for the record, the first boy I ever kissed (well, ever kissed and enjoyed it) was an Aussie boy I met there.

All together now: Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Nov 3, 2005 -> 10:37 PM)
Hold on, let me do the math. . .13? Oh my god, that was 10 years ago. AGH! I'm ancient.

And for the record, the first boy I ever kissed (well, ever kissed and enjoyed it) was an Aussie boy I met there.

All together now: Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

He's still thinking about you . .

15659.jpg

Ah, there's no predicting what you might do on a good old vegemite bender. :aussie:

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 12:59 AM)
He's still thinking about you . .

15659.jpg

Ah, there's no predicting what you might do on a good old vegemite bender. :aussie:

*shudder* vegemite is the devil.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 12:01 AM)
*shudder* vegemite is the devil.

Eh, it's not so bad. No worse than licking the inside of a week old sardine can at least. :D

Whodathunk Colin Hay would have duped the world about the 'joys' of a vegemite sammich? :)

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 5, 2005 -> 01:36 AM)
Eh, it's not so bad.  No worse than licking the inside of a week old sardine can at least.  :D

Whodathunk Colin Hay would have duped the world about the 'joys' of a vegemite sammich?  :)

Jim, don't make the Soxtalk general public hate on seafood now. You should know better. :P :nono

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 10:55 AM)
Random food craving for the day: Fays BBQ. I don't even like meat, but I am craving it like mad. It's been so long since I had that delicious, delicious BBQ. Mmmmmmmm.

Comparable to The Patio ribs..?

Random complaint.. $900 friggin bucks to fly from Chicago to Vegas to Florida back to Chicago. :angry:

QUOTE(Steff @ Nov 4, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
Comparable to The Patio ribs..?

Random complaint.. $900 friggin bucks to fly from Chicago to Vegas to Florida back to Chicago.  :angry:

I am unfamiliar wtih Patio ribs. But they have Fays at all the little town festivals/county fairs in the Fox Valley area.

That is one hell of an expensive plane ticket. I was thinking of flying from here (Upstate NY) to Toronto for a conference next week--but $700 round trip!!!! Crazy!