Favorite Stand-Up Comedians

LowerCaseRepublican

I've been listening to a lot of stand up lately and am even thinking about doing some on the down low at open mic nights on campus. I know there was a thread like this in the past, but I was too lazy to find it. So I wanted to see who peoples' favorite stand up comedians are.

My top 5 favorites have gotta be:

1. Lenny Bruce

2. Bill Hicks

3. Richard Pryor

4. Sam Kinison

5. David Cross

Honorable mentions: Dane Cook, Larry the Cable Guy, Ron White, Mitch Hedberg, Dave Chappelle

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 06:04 PM)
No Carlin, Apu?

Some people may consider our President to be there unintenional favorite stand up comedian.... :lolhitting

Carlin is pretty good. His albums "Parental Advisory" and "Complaints and Grievances" have me laughing my ass off but he's no Kinison, Bruce or Hicks that just seem to nail observations on an entirely different level. If you haven't seen it, watch Bill Hicks' "Relentless" performance. I cannot stop laughing with the stuff he brings up.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jan 8, 2005 -> 06:09 PM)
Carlin is pretty good.  His albums "Parental Advisory" and "Complaints and Grievances" have me laughing my ass off but he's no Kinison, Bruce or Hicks that just seem to nail observations on an entirely different level.  If you haven't seen it, watch Bill Hicks' "Relentless" performance.  I cannot stop laughing with the stuff he brings up.

I have 4 or 5 Carlin DVD's. One is a box set of some his real old stuff which is great and holds up to today.

Bruce

Carlin

Cook

Cosby

Rock

You can't go wrong with that five. Much love to Hicks for keepin the political humor alive (with extra vigor). Rodney Dangerfield doesn't get enough respect either.

I've read like three books on LB in the last two months. I learned more about methadrine and the life of a dope addict than I thought I would but he is still one of my heros.

HICKS

Rock

Regan

Cross

Kinison

Dennis Miller was very funny in his day, but his day is pretty much long gone.

I enjoy Denis Leary a lot, but I wouldn't really put him in my top 5.

Chappelle's Show is great, but I don't really enjoy him as a standup.

Looking at my own list, I have to ask MYSELF how the cleanest comic alive, Brian Regan, got on my list with those other four???

Answer? Regan makes me giggle like an idiot every time I see him! :headbang

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 09:30 AM)

Dennis Miller stopped being funny when he decided to be partisan about his anger... that and most comedians that get so self-absorbed in their "style" stop being funny after too long. Al Franken used to be real funny too, but he stopped being funny right around the time he decided to be a radio host. Although, he still tries really hard. Just not funny.

Has anyone read "Naked Pictures of Famous People" by Jon Stewart? That book is freakin hysterical.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 06:30 AM)
HICKS

Rock

Regan

Cross

Kinison

Looking at my own list, I have to ask MYSELF how the cleanest comic alive, Brian Regan, got on my list with those other four???

Answer? Regan makes me giggle like an idiot every time I see him!  :headbang

Brian Regan is pretty damn funny, I agree.

I loved his "Wanna go halves on a pie?" bit. That one always cracks me up,