What happen to the post???

LDF

QUOTE(Mr. Zero @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 04:58 PM)
I'm not particularly mad about the word gay not being allowed here.

It's how when someone uses the word gay, everyone freaks out like he just said "OSAMA BIN LADEN IS BOSS". If some new guy slips, who gives a f***? But no, there's always the guy who'll say "You know, that word isn't allowed here" and then everyone flips out and then another huge debate on the word gay happens.

:lol:

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10576&hl=

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 05:04 PM)
I really don't understand what is so hard to understand about this.

The admins and mods get together and made decisions, most always approved by Jason and that is how things are done.

Who is anyone else to come on here and question the decisions that are made?

If you want to use the word gay or any other bashing, start your own website and have at it.

This site is so lenient about what we allow, yet when anyone is asked to do something like remove a signature for its content or not to use certain words, it's like we are asking people to walk on water.

Everyone should understand that it is no one's right to post whatever they see fit on this site.  You are fortunate that Jason provides this public forum in which we can all have these discussions.  To constantly bash and second guess decisions that are made is unnecessary and also disrepectful to those who put the thought and time into making them.

Then I think it's about time you made an Rules forum and put them all into it. Not just the one that you guys made awhile ago, but all the unwritten rules you guys have.

1. Don't use the word gay.

2. Don't question our authority.

3. Don't call anyone names.

4. Don't be an annoying jackass.

1, 2 and 4 are written nowhere on this site. I suggest you write it down so no one makes the mistake again. How are they supposed to know that the word gay is wrong when people are flipping each other off with smilies and using the word f***? Then they post it and a bunch of people freak out on him.

QUOTE(Mr. Zero @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 05:40 PM)
Now what made me think you were a teenager???

For the record, I have NEVER seen anyone call another poster gay on this site. I've seen people call other things gay, but not as a personal attack. Gay is a new term. It came along like 4 or 5 years ago.

I've called myself gay here many times. That's not an insult. But I remember the word meaning homosexual at least 6 or 7 years ago.... so I think you're wrong on that point. :P

QUOTE(winodj @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 05:16 PM)
I've called myself gay here many times. That's not an insult. But I remember the word meaning homosexual at least 6 or 7 years ago.... so I think you're wrong on that point. :P

Does my signature offend you, winodj? (the text [be honest])

If not, I find it rather funny that people who are not gay take offense to the word, but someone who is doesn't. It's hysterical, really! :lolhitting

QUOTE(Mr. Zero @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 04:31 PM)
Yeah, but I'm sick of all this protecting gay people. There's only one f***ing gay person on the board, and he doesn't even care (or so it seems). He's never the one saying "Guys quit using that word please", it's the admins. I don't know why there's so much protection for it, he's probably heard every gay joke in the world, some guy calling a football player gay on a message board isn't gonna make him freak out.

I'm not gay, I'm offended by the usage. Perhaps you don't mind if your aren't the one being insulted. When you are being insulted, do you want everyone to adopt the attitude of it isn't me, so why should I care?

"First They Came for the Jews"

By Pastor Niemoller

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 08:08 PM)
I'm not gay, I'm offended by the usage. Perhaps you don't mind if your aren't the one being insulted. When you are being insulted, do you want everyone to adopt the attitude of it isn't me, so why should I care?

Yeah, actually. That'd be nice.

And how is someone calling a football player gay or posting the Are You Gay? thing relevant to that poem? No one I know is coming for the gays.

QUOTE(Mr. Zero @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 09:13 PM)
No one I know is coming for the gays.

You're joking, right?

Here you go. Yep. Nobody's coming for the gays.

The Life and Death of Billy Jack Gaither

Matthew Shepard and Steve Kennedy - But what's two more dead f**s?

And this guy is DEFINATELY NOT coming for the gays, eh?

phelps.jpg

And, as far as Tex' quote. Hitler was never coming for Christian America, just a buncha Jews an ocean away. Better not to get involved there, too?

Guys I'm going to say this once. If anyone thinks this is an issue dealing with the word gay your 100% wrong. If anyone thinks wino is involved in this your wrong.

The point was there was a sig that was a 100% attack and bash on someones character and that is not tolerated. Yes, it was removed, but it was just one of a long line of attacks on that users list.

This site has had umteen discussions on being gay and I don't care if you think being gay is right or wrong or are indifferent on the subject. The fact is someone bashing someone for being gay won't be tolerated, not one bit.

It be like bashing someone for there religion or color. Thats it. Lets not debate the persons characters. And for anyone thinking that you get banned for knocking the mods/admins your dead wrong. How much stuff gets discussed here and sometimes people disagree with us, I've never had a problem with that.

I prefer for it via PM's because its a more private discussion that doesn't create this disruption persay but everything gets listened to and talked about and things sometimes change.

I'm sorry, I just don't feel the need to explain every action done out in public. Its not polite to that person thats involved in it. Have we ever made mistakes sure, but who hasn't, overall this board is ran damn well and were always open on advice on ways to improve it, but please just send a PM or an email.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 10:00 PM)
Guys I'm going to say this once.  If anyone thinks this is an issue dealing with the word gay your 100% wrong.  If anyone thinks wino is involved in this your wrong.

The point was there was a sig that was a 100% attack and bash on someones character and that is not tolerated.  Yes, it was removed, but it was just one of a long line of attacks on that users list.

This site has had umteen discussions on being gay and I don't care if you think being gay is right or wrong or are indifferent on the subject.  The fact is someone bashing someone for being gay won't be tolerated, not one bit.

It be like bashing someone for there religion or color.  Thats it.  Lets not debate the persons characters.  And for anyone thinking that you get banned for knocking the mods/admins your dead wrong.  How much stuff gets discussed here and sometimes people disagree with us, I've never had a problem with that.

I prefer for it via PM's because its a more private discussion that doesn't create this disruption persay but everything gets listened to and talked about and things sometimes change. 

I'm sorry, I just don't feel the need to explain every action done out in public.  Its not polite to that person thats involved in it.  Have we ever made mistakes sure, but who hasn't, overall this board is ran damn well and were always open on advice on ways to improve it, but please just send a PM or an email.

Well said.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 02:59 PM)
Apple Pie with Cheddar cheese on top sounds nasty.

You've obviously never had an apple grande from Taco John's then have you?

Take a flour tortilla, fry it, coat it with cinnimon and sugar, top with hot apple filling and cheddar cheese.

*drool*

You really have to try it to know if you'd like it or not. I've had friends who thought it sounded gross but fell in love once they tasted it.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 05:45 PM)
Some people get it.  :cheers

There could be zero gay members here, zero Jewish members here, zero black members here, yada yada... and those of us who care about such things would STILL strive to maintain a civil and respectful decorum around here when it comes to ethnic/social/religious group affiliations.

Which doesn't mean all of that and much more can't be discussed here.  It is discussed and debated and argued.  But the debates are actually meaningful if people use the littlest bit of restraint and rise above the attacks and the slurs.

Very well put, Jim.

Now, if any of you want to disrespect Democrats - go right ahead! ;) :lol: :bringit

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 12:56 PM)
Let me mess with it, and I'll create the group.

Take a look at the group, and make sure that you have all of the same abilities and stuff like that as you had before. If it all works, let me know, and then I will add anyone else who wants to be in the group.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 02:00 PM)
Take a look at the group, and make sure that you have all of the same abilities and stuff like that as you had before.  If it all works, let me know, and then I will add anyone else who wants to be in the group.

Looks good as far as I can see. I guess you guys are good for something. :P