Luis Castillo for 2B?

beck72

QUOTE(S720 @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 05:35 PM)
Heck, I say we forget Castillo and sign Iguchi and be done for this offseason.  With Iguchi aboard, our team is all set and ready for 2005.

:snr

I think Iguchi is still out there. No other team seems to have stepped up. But if the Sox could get CAstillo by waiting a week or two, it'd be worth it.

One thing KW has done by filling the biggest holes early, is leave the sox open to further improving themselves. Other teams are scrambling to fill A, B and C holes, which can cause them to overpay/ get ripped off via trade. The sox can sit back and make a deal not because they have to. But because they want to improve the team.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 12:13 PM)
I think Iguchi is still out there. No other team seems to have stepped up. But if the Sox could get CAstillo by waiting a week or two, it'd be worth it.

One thing KW has done by filling the biggest holes early, is leave the sox open to further improving themselves. Other teams are scrambling to fill A, B and C holes, which can cause them to overpay/ get ripped off via trade. The sox can sit back and make a deal not because they have to. But because they want to improve the team.

honestly do your really think the sox will even get castillo? I dont think they will and who would they give to the marlins anyways

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 01:18 PM)
honestly do your really think the sox will even get castillo?  I dont think they will and who would they give to the marlins anyways

Good point. A trade involving castillo was never going to happen. Some guy from the Miami herald listed a bunch of teams that needed a second baseman and claimed that those teams were interested.

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 07:18 PM)
honestly do your really think the sox will even get castillo?  I dont think they will and who would they give to the marlins anyways

If Castillo's on the trade block, sure. [which as I first posted, a marlins insider said he could be traded as they have Easley] Ozzie has long admired what Pierre and Castillo did for the Marlins and would have KW overpay to get him. Like the Freddy Garcia trade.

I see the Marlins trading Castillo if they can get a big salary guy, like Delgado or Javier Vazquez [as the M's have been mentioned w/ him as well].

Damaso Marte comes immediately to mind of who they could want for their bullpen. Seeing how he makes $1.58 mill and Castillo over $5 mill , they'd save some money and get a nice arm in Marte

QUOTE(Chisoxmatt @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 07:27 PM)
Good point.  A trade involving castillo was never going to happen.  Some guy from the Miami herald listed a bunch of teams that needed a second baseman and claimed that those  teams were interested.

The herald quoted a Marlins insider as saying Castillo could be traded. It's not some fantasy I cooked up. I listed the link and put the quote on the first page.

I said the Sox could be a match, based on how highly Ozzie viewed Castillo from his days on the Marlins. To think the sox wouldn't be interested in him if he was on the block would be foolish. You think they'd stick with Willie and forget about trying to get Castillo, if he was available?

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 01:53 PM)
The herald quoted a Marlins insider as saying Castillo could be traded. It's not some fantasy I cooked up. I listed the link and put the quote on the first page.

I knew you were accurate when you said he could be traded. I just meant he wasnt going to be traded to the Sox.

I said the Sox could be a match, based on how highly Ozzie viewed Castillo from his days on the Marlins. To think the sox wouldn't be interested in him if he was on the block would be foolish. You think they'd stick with Willie and forget about trying to get Castillo, if he was available?

I just doubt KW wants to give up players when he can sign a FA (Cora, Iguchi).

Maybe im wrong, i just dont think i am. :)

I knew you were accurate when you said he could be traded.  I just meant he wasnt going to be traded to the Sox.

Big Difference between Cora/Iguchi and castillo... Castillo is proven the other 2 are not.

QUOTE(Chisoxmatt @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 09:24 PM)
I knew you were accurate when you said he could be traded.  I just meant he wasnt going to be traded to the Sox.

If KW wanted to sign either Cora or Iguchi, he has had 3, 4 weeks to do it. If it hasn't happened by now with those two, its likely the sox won't sign them

But to get an impact player with a decent contract [like Castillo] means giving up good talent. Why pay an extra $5 mill for a guy like Renteria when its possible to get a similar player for less [even if it means giving up talented players/ prospects]? KW has shown a willingness to trade for top talent, far more than he has in signing top FA's

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 10:05 PM)
I honestly don't think Sox will get him and I also don't think he gets traded at all unless they get Delgado and decide they need money spent elsewhere as well. Castillo will probably be with them this upcoming year and I'm 100% sure he isn't coming to the Sox. Sorry White Sox Nation.

Vazquez has also been linked with the Marlins. If they don't get Delgado, they may make a move for Vazquez. Beinfest has a knack for pulling off good trades and getting a guy they target [like IRod, Leiter, the LoDuca trade, etc]

I wouldn't them out. And I wouldn't count Castillo still being available [as they need power, they already have Pierre]

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 01:18 PM)

No. I don't think they will get Castillo. In fact, every time a quality player pops up on the rumor mill, I consider whether it would be a good match or a realistic possibility for the Sox. I speculate on what it might take to get the player. But to say that I think they will get a particular guy is going out on a limb. However, it's Jamuary and it's fun to talk, speculate, argue about the possibilities.

Heres a dumb ?...

If the Marlins lose out on Delgado how would you feel about dangling Konerko out there for a swap with Castillo?

I mean I like Kong as much as anyone but I think that Castillo would be more important to the new direction of this team. However we would have to find either a new 1B or a new backup 1B/OF (Like that guy from the Pirates maybe)

Koney for Castillo straight up? No way. That is way too high a price to pay.

I think some of you are drinking too much Ozzie Koolaid & forgetting Koney's contribution.

We loss potentially 200 RBI & about 150 R between a healthy Maggs & Lee.

I'm leary of dumping another 100 RBI for speed & defense.

Sounds like the Marlins want to get something done this weekend. I've got to hand it to the Marlins. They know what they want and aren't afraid of going all out to get the players they need. Hopefully they'll see they can win w/o Castillo [as the have pierre for speed, and LoDuca to hit #2], and put him on the market

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/13/sports/b...html?oref=login

"Winning more important than location"? We'll see. The Marlins would give Delgado a better chance of winning than the other teams pursuing him--the mets, O's and Rangers.

Found this article and it mentioned what the Marlins payroll likely would be. It should be around $61.5 mill after signing their arb. players. [which is really close to last yrs payroll of $62.27 mill]. If they signed Delgado to a deal [with say $11 mill this yr, more in later yrs], they'd be close to $11 mill over last yrs payroll. They seem to operate with the same mindset as the Sox, that they hav a reasonable payroll and not have huge jumps from yr to yr. If this holds true, then they'll have to dump some salary Conine and Encarnacion each make a lot. Yet would be hard to get rid of. Paring salary elsewhere would be likely

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-mar...la-sports-front

QUOTE(frahungski @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 07:04 PM)
yeah, it'd be nice, but there's no way we acquire castillo.  i doubt they gouge the bullpen to pick this guy up, even if ozzie is in love with him.  also, i don't see delgado playing for a team like the marlins, he just doesn't seem to fit the bill.

You are acting like ' this guy'' is pokey reese.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 10:39 PM)
You are acting like ' this guy'' is pokey reese.

no, not at all. i realize that castillo is one of the premier second basemen in the league for the role that he plays. i was suggesting that there's no chance of getting castillo. and if we did get him, but had to trade marte to do it, i wouldn't be happy. i think that marte is more valuable to the team that castillo would be. but that's just my humble opinion.

QUOTE(frahungski @ Jan 15, 2005 -> 05:34 AM)
no, not at all.  i realize that castillo is one of the premier second basemen in the league for the role that he plays.  i was suggesting that there's no chance of getting castillo.  and if we did get him, but had to trade marte to do it, i wouldn't be happy.  i think that marte is more valuable to the team that castillo would be.  but that's just my humble opinion.

I think the Sox make a deal like Marte for Castillo in a nanosecond. If KW thinks Iguchi is an "impact player", Castillo is Ty Cobb. The biggest question is would he be available? They're trying to get a public stadium deal [remember--chicks dig the long ball], and what better way than get a big time slugger who also happens to be a native of a country just off the coast of FLA. With a Delgado signing, CAstillo would most definitely be available.

The salary relief, near $4 mill. a yr, makes a big difference to a team that counts pennies like the M's. The marlins have Pierre at the top of their lineup [who does many of the same things Castillo does]. LoDuca can hit #2, and Easley can take over 2B, which a Marlins insider had suggested to the Miami Herald--this wasn't me suggesting it [Willie Harris would likely be dealt w/ marte, and can platoon w/ him--this is my suggestion, as Harris makes the minimum and can fit w/ the Marlins, maybe learn a few things from his fellow southerner Pierre]

The reason the post-2004 Marte would be available? He has shown he's not closer. And the Sox have two other guys ahead of him as possible closers should Shingo get hurt or be ineffective. No way would the Sox have done something like this going into 2004 with the questions surrounding the bullpen. The sox now have vets filling key spots and guys like Munoz, Adkins and Diaz can battle for the last spot vacated by Marte. It weakens the bullpen a little. But IMO, the overall team is improved, with a guy like Castillo playing everyday.

The sox could absorb the loss of Marte, esp with Vizcaino on the team. He's great against LH hitters [like a .160 BAA] and situational LHP's like Cotts and Munoz on the team [who also can pitch more than 1 inning at a time].

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 15, 2005 -> 11:40 AM)
Damn fine analysis there, Beck72.  :cheers

Thanks.

All the pieces seem to be fitting in for the Marlins getting Delgado. They are supposedly close to getting a new stadium deal. What better way of "thanking" FLA fans than by signing a big time slugger. Coming off a Delgado "high", the marlins could deal Castillo quick for salary relief and top bullpen help. Fans won't go crazy, saying goodbye to Luis. Esp. as the big bat is needed more than a tablesetter [FLa was near the bottom of the NL in most power categories, like 12th in SLG]. Delgado + MArte >>> Castillo and the FLA bullpen as is.

I just think a deal like this sounds too reasonable--for both FLA and the Sox. Then both teams would be ready for ST. With the questions surrounding POdsednik [will he hit .275 even?]and Harris, the Sox would be more than willing to "overpay" should Castillo be on the block. There's the backup leadoff man/ tablesetter/ #2 hitter the Sox need. Both FLA and the Sox make "win-win" deals, operating under the concept that you have to give up something in order to get something.