Luis Castillo for 2B?

beck72

I'd love to have Castillo however I'm not giving up any of our bullpen arms unless it was adkins or someone like that(which wouldn't get anything done) the bullpen as currently constructed is so good and having a great bullpen is very important throughout the season but even more important in the playoffs, a good bullpen can honestly win you a world series, ala the angels of 02.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 08:58 PM)
How about Vizc+Harris+1M for Castillo? The Marlins still get a 2B, a solid NL RP, & 1M to cover his cost.  Maybe throw in a PTBNL as well.

The Sox won't move Vizcaino. Anyways, stats aside, Vizcaino has one thing going for him Marte doesn't---he hasn't failed as a potential closer. Marte has. If Shingo goes down, Hermanson and Vizcaino would have shots at the closer spot. Hawkins, I mean Marte, has had his chances as closer. that train has left the station

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 09:04 PM)
I'd love to have Castillo however I'm not giving up any of our bullpen arms unless it was adkins or someone like that(which wouldn't get anything done) the bullpen as currently constructed is so good and having a great bullpen is very important throughout the season but even more important in the playoffs, a good bullpen can honestly win you a world series, ala the angels of 02.

IMO, a great everyday lineup is more important than having a great bullpen Getting CAstillo, at the expense of Marte, would give the sox a great lineup and the Sox would still have a very good pen. [Look at Boston last yr, only Foulke had an ERA under 3.00, with both top setup men, Timlin and Embree w/ ERA's over 4.00] Hermanson is just starting to make the conversion from SP to the bullpen, and able to throw mid 90's heat. Vizcaino was the key guy to getting Danny Kolb leads last yr, and who many expected to take over as closer once he was traded to ATL.

I'd love to trade an Adkins or even Cotts [who had just as much success keeping inherited runners from scoring as Marte, an even more important stat than ERA for a setup guy]. Yet it likely wouldn't happen.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 09:14 PM)
The Sox won't move Vizcaino. Anyways, stats aside, Vizcaino has one thing going for him Marte doesn't---he hasn't failed as a potential closer. Marte has. If Shingo goes down, Hermanson and Vizcaino would have shots at the closer spot. Hawkins, I mean Marte, has had his chances as closer. that train has left the station

So what if he can't close?

If it comes down to it that Marte has to close, that means we're in a lot worse shape than we all think (and I doubt that happens, even if Shingo falters).

Here's how I see it going down if Shingo fails. Hermy will be given the first shot, then they'll give it to Vizcaino if Hermanson fails. If Vizcaino fails as well, that means we've all really overestimated how good our bullpen is, and we're going to have about zero shot at the playoffs.

Just because a guy can't close doesn't mean he isn't good.

Find me a better bargain just about anywhere in the major leagues than Marte @ less than 1.5 million (I'm pretty sure he makes less than 1.5, though I could be wrong).

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 04:16 PM)

If it comes down to it that Marte has to close, that means we're in a lot worse shape than we all think (and I doubt that happens, even if Shingo falters).

Here's how I see it going down if Shingo fails.  Hermy will be given the first shot, then they'll give it to Vizcaino if Hermanson fails.  If Vizcaino fails as well, that means we've all really overestimated how good our bullpen is, and we're going to have about zero shot at the playoffs.

Find me a better bargain just about anywhere in the major leagues than Marte @ less than 1.5 million (I'm pretty sure he makes less than 1.5, though I could be wrong).

I'm with you on this one. Damaso is the best left handed reliever in the american league. He had an off year last year and he was still pretty darn good, if we got Damaso back to his form from 2 years ago which I think we will then he is absolutely lights out.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 04:20 PM)
I'm with you on this one.  Damaso is the best left handed reliever in the american league.  He had an off year last year and he was still pretty darn good, if we got Damaso back to his form from 2 years ago which I think we will then he is absolutely lights out.

Kline is now on the orioles so he has some competition for best left handed reliever in the american league this year.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 10:20 PM)
I'm with you on this one.  Damaso is the best left handed reliever in the american league.  He had an off year last year and he was still pretty darn good, if we got Damaso back to his form from 2 years ago which I think we will then he is absolutely lights out.

the best reliever in the AL, are you kidding me ..................

and what happens if he doesn't.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 10:16 PM)

Here's how I see it going down if Shingo fails.  Hermy will be given the first shot, then they'll give it to Vizcaino if Hermanson fails.  If Vizcaino fails as well, that means we've all really overestimated how good our bullpen is, and we're going to have about zero shot at the playoffs.

I've stated this before. Marte is one of the best set up men around. But a set up guy is even more valuable if he can also close [ala Dustin, Vizcaino, see Dotel, Lidge etc] But Marte is less valuable going into 2005 as he was going into 2004 because he was an option to close games. He won't be this yr.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 06:51 PM)
Kline is now on the orioles so he has some competition for best left handed reliever in the american league this year.

Ya aj, when I wrote that steve was the first guy I gave consideration to when it used to be Guardado but as long as marte gets back to previous form I'd take him over Kline, jmo.

Marte is definitely among the top 10 RP in the AL. But many of you are making this trade on the hope that Vizc & Herm can get the job done in the AL. I share you're hope but I'm doubtful.

I can't believe one of you said you value a great lineup over a great pen.

I suggest you look at the past World Series winners & divisional winners before making such a statement. A great pen is essential to being a contender.

That being said if Vizcaino can get it done in the AL then Marte might be expendable. But we really have to wait & see on that. I certainly would not make this trade now. Maybe around June if Harris+Valdez is not getting it done.

I believe Ozzie is going to split their time between LH & RH. Assuming of course we don't get a better UIF in that time.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 19, 2005 -> 02:49 PM)
I don't know many guys who, if they had a 3.42 ERA over the course of 73+ innings, would be considered bad...

And that was really a bad year for him, I think he had a dead arm for the most part even though he could hit 95 MPH or faster on the radar. Like I said before, I'd prefer to sign Iguchi and hang onto Marte.

I would love to have Rollins though. Even if it meant giving up Garland.

Rollins at SS, & Uribe at 2B give us one of the best scoring IF's in the AL.

I still can't believe his either scored a R or drove in an RBI in 98 gms for the Phils last year. That's amazing.

They wouldn't give up a talent like that for just Marte. They'd want Garland.

FWIW, the Marlins look to be the favorites to sign Delgado, w/ only the Orioles remaining. He'll prob. sign monday or Tues.

With the fish adding another year to the deal, getting rid of a long term contract like Castillo could be right around the corner. I know their team pres. said that wouldn't happen. but that was before a 3 yr $36 mill deal w/ deferred money went to a 4 yr, $48, 50 mill deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1973917

With the Marlins offer reportedly upped from 3 yrs and $36 mill to 4 yr and $50 mill, the Marlins would almost have to trim salary. [and have a rock solid, concrete plan in place after signing Delgado--trading Encarnacion and his $4 mill salary won't be easy].

The marlins operate very much like the sox payroll wise. Upping in one area, means cutting back in others. With position players like Delgado, Lowell and Castillo the only ones signed for big money [Lowell makes $8 mill a yr], and young pitching that will cost more money in the yrs ahead, a guy like Castillo could very well be cut loose in the Carlos Lee mold type deal.

If Delgado is signed, I wouldn't be surprised to hear "rumors" from the regular radio and print sources circulating about possible trades of Castillo

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 01:24 AM)
With the Marlins offer reportedly upped from 3 yrs and $36 mill to 4 yr and $50 mill, the Marlins would almost have to trim salary. [and have a rock solid, concrete plan in place after signing Delgado--trading Encarnacion and his $4 mill salary won't be easy].

The marlins operate very much like the sox payroll wise. Upping in one area, means cutting back in others. With position players like Delgado, Lowell and Castillo the only ones signed for big money [Lowell makes $8 mill a yr], and young pitching that will cost more money in the yrs ahead, a guy like Castillo could very well be cut loose in the Carlos Lee mold type deal.

If Delgado is signed, I wouldn't be surprised to hear "rumors" from the regular radio and print sources circulating about possible trades of Castillo

The Marlins may have to add Jason Stokes their top prospect with Encarnacion to get a deal done. Not too many teams are going to want to acquire Juan by himself.

Whoa! sportsdaily reports the Marlins have yet to offer a 4th year. It's believe there will be a 4yr option but as it stands now there are two offers

remaining on the table: O's at 30M/3, & Fish at 36M/3.

The Fish offer includes quite a bit of deferred money making the two offers close.

The Mets say they are still in it but it looks doubtful.

The Rangers are out. Even though they were the first to offer 48M/4 they made it clear Texeira was the 1B & Delgado would be the DH. He said no thanks.

Delgado had made it clear he wants to play for a contender. I think that makes the O's doubtful & keeps the Mets alive. The O's are being used just to get a 4th yr option out of the Fish.

Does trading Castillo drop the Fish from contending? I don't think it does.

There are plently of teams with quality 2B that might be willing to take on the 16M/3 contract. The Fish would still save $ w/out giving up too much in quality. I wouldn't put it past the NYY$ to fashion a deal centering around Womack to get Castillo. They've got even in the budget for that.

http://newyorkpost.com/sports/mets/38777.htm

According to the New York Post, the Mets have made their final offer to Carlos Delgado -- four years, $51 million.

The Marlins and Orioles are believed to be in the same dollar range, though Florida's offer probably includes deferred money. Jan. 25 - 4:03 am et

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/10725850.htm?1c

A source told the Miami Herald that the Marlins are close to signing Carlos Delgado. Florida is at four years and $50 million, the paper reports. "The Marlins are in prime position right now," said the baseball industry source. "I would be surprised if it went in another direction. I think he's going to be a Marlin." Jan. 25 - 4:55 am et

Four year for 50 million is way too much but that is not our problem. Everyone originally thought he was crazy after the world series for saying he wanted 16 million per year. Well, sure looks like her is gonna get near that amount no matter who he signs with.