Luis Castillo for 2B?

beck72

Looks like the marlins are going hard after Delgado. One thing FLA has going for them over TEX is they'd keep Carlos at 1B. And TEX needs to dump salary first [soriano] in order to afford him. Go Marlins! From the Miami Herald:

MARLINS

Offer to Delgado: three years, $35M

BY CLARK SPENCER

The Marlins are prepared to award Carlos Delgado the richest contract in club history.

Even so, the team's three-year offer of about $35 million for Delgado might not be enough to persuade the free agent first baseman into flaunting his home run swing in South Florida.

The New York Mets remain interested in Delgado despite being close to agreeing with Carlos Beltran on a seven-year, $119 million deal and earmarking $53 million for pitcher Pedro Martinez last month.

And Delgado is said to have a hankering for the Texas Rangers, who also have eyes for him.

TOP OFFER?

Still, the $35 million, which likely would be parceled out beyond 2007 in deferred payments, could be the largest figure offered to Delgado so far.

The Baltimore Orioles reportedly made him a three-year, $30 million offer in December and were rejected.

The Marlins have a definite need for a left-handed run producer, and Delgado would fit the bill.

Delgado, 32, is coming off one of his worst seasons, during which he hit 32 home runs and drove in 99 runs for the Toronto Blue Jays. The season before, he hit 42 home runs with 145 RBI.

PREFERS RANGERS

But The Fort Worth Star-Telegram has reported that Delgado would like to play for the Rangers, and the Mets are in a spending spree that might not end when they finalize their deal with Beltran.

If the Marlins are successful in signing Delgado, he would take over at first base for Jeff Conine, who has undergone two shoulder operations during the offseason but could spend time in the outfield.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 11:56 AM)
PREFERS RANGERS

But The Fort Worth Star-Telegram has reported that Delgado would like to play for the Rangers, and the Mets are in a spending spree that might not end when they finalize their deal with Beltran.

this would equal no castillo if he went to the rangers

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
People love harris cause fist time people heard his name thought he was next ray durham and which now kenny wants ray ray back

I don't love Willie but he's not a bad player. He posted some decent numbers last year and if we have to I have no problem going into the year with willie as the 2b, although I'd prefer to get a middle infielder that could hit 2nd.

For some reason, even thought I dont like him, I think that Willie may succeed better with this lineup around him. I dont think he felt natural in the lead off role, and I think with some more players around him, and another season, he may improve on not only his base stealing, but his hitting as well. his defense, as far as I am concerned, is good enough if not better than most of the guys out there. Lets see what this lineup will get us

QUOTE(babybearhater @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 01:36 PM)
For some reason, even thought I dont like him, I think that Willie may succeed better with this lineup around him.  I dont think he felt natural in the lead off role, and I think with some more players around him, and another season, he may improve on not only his base stealing, but his hitting as well.  his defense, as far as I am concerned, is good enough if not better than most of the guys out there.  Lets see what this lineup will get us

There will definately be a lot less pressure on him to succeed if he goes into the season hitting 9th instead of first, if the Sox cannot aquire another 2B.

QUOTE(babybearhater @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 01:36 PM)
For some reason, even thought I dont like him, I think that Willie may succeed better with this lineup around him.  I dont think he felt natural in the lead off role, and I think with some more players around him, and another season, he may improve on not only his base stealing, but his hitting as well.  his defense, as far as I am concerned, is good enough if not better than most of the guys out there.  Lets see what this lineup will get us

marlins sort of have somewhat of a similar build in thelineup as the sox do now, i dont think it would make a difference of what team willie goes to whether it is the marlins As or other

IMO Willie would excel in the 9 hole and hit .290+ this year with an OBP over .350.

I'd have him hitting well over .300 but he has to face lefties sometime...

Maybe spending more time around Arow's work ethic, and Spods base stealing expertise will allow him to grow in those aspects of the game.

QUOTE(babybearhater @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 08:37 PM)
Maybe spending more time around Arow's work ethic, and Spods base stealing expertise will allow him to grow in those aspects of the game.

I'd rather go for the real deal in a guy like Castillo than hope Harris learns the finer points of the game by osmosis

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)
IMO Willie would excel in the 9 hole and hit .290+ this year with an OBP over .350.

I'd have him hitting well over .300 but he has to face lefties sometime...

He'll face a lot of lefties hitting either 9 or 2 in the line up because of SPod being a lefty. A manager can bring in a lefty, and he will face back to back lefties either at 9&1 or 1&2 in the line up depending on where Harris hit. It makes using a relief pitcher easier to use if you can have him face two hitters instead of one. And since the Sox lacked LH hitting so badly last year, there wasn't many situational lefties used against the Sox.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6689542/

The All-Star second baseman is eligible for salary arbitration and likely will get a raise from $5.4 million to $7.5 million or more.

“We’re very comfortable with Soriano, comfortable with our club where it sets up with him there,” Hart said Thursday, a day before the winter meeting. That doesn’t mean Hart isn’t willing to listen to offer. But there won’t be a deal unless “somebody was to overwhelm” the Rangers.

That doesn't sound like a clubhouse cancer to me. It seems more like a team that knows that if he's all-star in 2005 they have no chance of signing him as a FA. The bottom line is this. Soriano helped make this team more competitive than A-Rod did.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/tex/news/tex...s_tex&fext=.jsp

As a World Series hero, an All-Star Game MVP and a Silver Slugger Award winner, Alfonso Soriano has experienced many thrills in baseball.

On Dec. 7, the Rangers second baseman proudly walked on to Alfonso Soriano Field, a renovated youth baseball facility in his hometown of Quisqueya, in the Dominican Republic.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/tex/news/tex...s_tex&fext=.jsp

The Rangers will revolve around a young infield that has become the pride and joy of the franchise. Soriano is the best offensive second baseman in the league.

So I strongly disagree with your assertion that the Rangers are actively shopping Soriano. If a great deal comes their way they'll take it because they have no chance of signing him long term. Steinbrenner had the NYY's considering a deal before the winter meetings to get him back. But when news surfaced of RJ wanting out of the AZD the NYY's shifted gears.

So I repeat if the CWS has the opportunity to get Soriano & sign him

to a mutli-year deal they should do it. He is far above any other talent on the list.

i like willie. i don't buy this inconsistency stuff that keeps coming up. it seems to me like whenever he does fall off, it is because of a change in his role. he was doing so well at the beginning of last season, but then if i remember right, he was moved for a few games to CF, and sat a few games in favor of uribe. he never recovered. before that he was batting over 300 and looking very solid. i think he can do it.

More info on Soriano (stuff you probably don't know):

Soriano has it all (power, speed, & a picture-pefect swing). In 2004 he helped the Rangers go from bottom feeders to playoff contenders. No other player was marked as having a more significant role in the Rangers rise than Soriano. Soriano was named MVP of the 2004 MLB AS Game.

Born in the DR in 1976, Soriano has been playing baseball since he was 6.

Grooming himself to be a big league SS. At 18 he signed with the Hiroshima Toyo Carp of the Japanse Central League. There he became a better baseball player, learned to speak Japanese, & learned to eat a better diet.

After signing with the NYY in 1998 Soriano became a superstar just 4 yrs later being the first 2B to join the 30/30 club (30HR, 30SB) & was a finalist in 2002 for league MVP. His combination of speed & hitting makes him one of the most dangerous leadoff hitters in MLB. He was voted to start at 2B in both the 2003, 2004 AS Games.

I was not aware of his Japanese baseball roots before looking it up. I think he would make a fine addition to the CWS if we could afford him.

Jugger, there have been enough rumors suggesting that they were looking to trade him. I am also postive there were talks about reyes for soriano but the mets backed off. So we are gonna have to agree to disagree.

This is the latest I could find.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/baseball/10474697.htm Long-term deal interests Soriano

Soriano, represented by SFX, a three-time All-Star who earned $5.4 million in 2004, said Tuesday he would be all ears if the Rangers approached him about a long-term contract. Rangers assistant GM Jon Daniels said. "Soriano is, a little bit different case. But right now, I don't have any reason to believe that we won't be able to work a contract out."

If what you said was true then why the hell didn't KW trade Lee for Soriano?

Based on everything I read the Rangers were looking to add strength to their OF.

KW could have given them Lee+Harris for Soriano. Maybe a middle prospect as well.

He takes care of power & leadoff in one move. That's why I just don't buy it. I think the Rangers were simply demanding too much based on Soriano's star status & no one met their price. That's not the same as actively shopping him.

No team is going to trade for him w/out a 72 hr window to sign him long term. That includes Houston. So the Rangers will demand a king's ransom in talent to get him & then the team will owe him a King's ransom to sign him.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)
If what you said was true then why the hell didn't KW trade Lee for Soriano?

Based on everything I read the Rangers were looking to add strength to their OF.

KW could have given them Lee+Harris for Soriano.  Maybe a middle prospect as well.

He takes care of power & leadoff in one move.   That's why I just don't buy it.  I think the Rangers were simply demanding too much based on Soriano's star status & no one met their price.  That's not the same as actively shopping him.

:huh:

Soriano does not improve the defense, and he would've sucked up more money that would have been used to sign AJ or El Duque.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)
He takes care of power & leadoff in one move.

Soriano is not a lead-off hitter. You are acting like he is great but a career .820 ops? .498 slugging? .324 obp? :puke Defense is mediocore at best. To me at least he is not a super star or a player to build around.

As a leadoff hitter he posted a 907 OPS. Up 30 pts over his career avg of 874 OPS.

2002-04 avg's:

Apr .354A, .399O, .565S

May .253A, ..296O, .490S

Jun .307A, .341O, .494S

Jul .257A, .293O, .511S

Aug .275A, .317O, .504S

Sep .301A, .348O, .556S

Soriano has proven over the last 3 yr's he can be a very effective leadoff-hitter. But with his power it's a waste to use him as such.

He is more suited as #2, #3.

Defensively they say Soriano is good when healthy & energetic. But as the season wears & he becomes tired he is prone to lapses. He's not going to win a GG any time soon. But he is good at turning DP's & helps a team more than he hurts them defensively.

The biggest question mark is his health. At midseason in 2003 he was on pace to win the AL MVP. But he digressed a little from that point on & tore a tendon in his hamstring in late 2004. He opted not to have it surgically repaired this winter.

Still, given the money we spent on Luis & what we are offering to Iguchi

I would have much preferred Lee being traded to Tex for Soriano than Lee being traded for Pods, Luis, & PTBNL. Money wise it would have made no impact on the signing of El-Duque & AJ.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 03:57 PM)
As a leadoff hitter he posted a 907 OPS. Up 30 pts over his career avg of 874 OPS. 

2002-04 avg's:

Apr .354A, .399O,  .565S

May .253A, ..296O,  .490S

Jun  .307A,  .341O,  .494S

Jul .257A,  .293O, .511S

Aug .275A,  .317O,  .504S

Sep .301A,  .348O,  .556S

Soriano has proven over the last 3 yr's he can be a very effective leadoff-hitter.  But with his power it's a waste to use him as such.

He is more suited as #2, #3.

I do not care what his ops is since you think he can be lead-off hitter. He has s***ty obp for a lead-off hitter, .324 life time. He has good power but i mean come on he has never had an ops over .900.