• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

guys espn rumor mill got it from contracostatimes

Posted on Mon, Jan. 10, 2005

Report: D'backs eye A's Byrnes

The Arizona Diamondbacks have explored filling their center field position by acquiring A's outfielder Eric Byrnes, according to a report in Sunday's Arizona Republic.

However, the Diamondbacks could make a run at Mike Cameron now that the New York Mets reportedly have reached an agreement with free-agent center fielder Carlos Beltran.

Byrnes, who is arbitration eligible, hit .283 with 20 home runs and 73 RBI last season. He also had 17 stolen bases in 18 attempts.

Oakland is looking for infield depth because of the uncertainty of Mark Ellis, who missed all of 2004 because of a shoulder injury.

The Chicago White Sox also have inquired about Byrnes.

I doubt this will happen, but I'd LOVE to get this guy. Talk about a grinder!!

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 04:19 PM)
guys espn rumor mill got it from contracostatimes

Posted on Mon, Jan. 10, 2005

Report: D'backs eye A's Byrnes

The Arizona Diamondbacks have explored filling their center field position by acquiring A's outfielder Eric Byrnes, according to a report in Sunday's Arizona Republic.

However, the Diamondbacks could make a run at Mike Cameron now that the New York Mets reportedly have reached an agreement with free-agent center fielder Carlos Beltran.

Byrnes, who is arbitration eligible, hit .283 with 20 home runs and 73 RBI last season. He also had 17 stolen bases in 18 attempts.

Oakland is looking for infield depth because of the uncertainty of Mark Ellis, who missed all of 2004 because of a shoulder injury.

The Chicago White Sox also have inquired about Byrnes.

bynes is someone that i thought, since i saw him play with the A's, would be great in a SOX uniform. Even better if he plays 1st, he's good defensively and would fit into Ozzie's play. Not a power hitter but could come up with 20-25 homers. Get him Kenny and trade Konerko for Vasquez

takatsuclub.gif

Unless KW could acquire him to set up another deal, I don't see the need for Byrnes. I mean, I'd much rather have him than Timo on the bench, but I don't see Timo having any trade value, so he's pretty much stuck on the roster. Byrnes would no doubt be a great fit for this renovated team, just don't know where he'd fit in.

Don't get your hopes up Byrnes fans.

Kenny probably put one phone call into Beane verifying Byrnes was on the market. I highly doubt Kenny inquired any further.

Current OF-Podsednik, Rowand, Dye, Everett, Perez, Borchard, Gload, Escobar

2006-2007OF-Podsednik, Rowand, Dye?, Anderson, Escobar, Sweeny?

Kenny is very high on both Anderson and Sweeny; giving up current members of this ball club to aquire a fourth outfielder would be down-right goofy.

Kenny is in the position where he does not HAVE to make any more moves this off-season. The holes in the 2004 Sox have been filled and filled quite fittingly; look for Kenny to make one more signing via free agency for the middle infield (possibly via trade if the perfect deal presents itself).

Byrnes is unnecessary as a 1b.

Especially as Gload was very productive last year, and is a better defensive 1b.

Makes no sense to trade for Byrnes to start at 1b, when if Konerko was moved, Gload would play there at a cheaper price and with out giving up any prospects.

If this is true, then perhaps KW has found some one who wants Rowand, and he thinks Byrnes is an adequate replacement. Or some one to take Everett.

SB

With all these articles on the Sox being: interested in (insert name of player), inquring about (insert name player), could possibly use (insert name of player) it should be obvious that these stories are just a lot of speculation and analysis of writers who have no clue about what KW is doing. The very obvious question is why would we trade for Byrne when we have a loaded OF now? Rowand has come into his own now and the idea we need to "unload him" is crazy. We have Dye signed for LF or RF, we have Everett supposedly healthy and ready to play one of the corner spots or DH if needed. Byrne for IB? Has he ever played IB on a regular basis? Timo Perez and Joe B will be the rest of the OF. I could see Everett being traded, but it sure seems that KW loves ther guy since he traded for him twice.

The idea floated around that maybe KW was looking at Ray Durham probably makes mores sense than any rumor I have heard lately. The question there though is what cost in players and salary and is it worth it?

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 11:55 AM)
With all these articles on the Sox being: interested in (insert name of player), inquring about (insert name player), could possibly use (insert name of player) it should be obvious that these stories are just a lot of speculation and analysis of writers who have no clue about what KW is doing. The very obvious question is why would we trade for Byrne when we have a loaded OF now? Rowand has come into his own now and the idea we need to "unload him" is crazy. We have Dye signed for LF or RF, we have Everett supposedly healthy and ready to play one of the corner spots or DH if needed. Byrne for IB? Has he ever played IB on a regular basis? Timo Perez and Joe B will be the rest of the OF. I could see Everett being traded, but it sure seems that KW loves ther guy since he traded for him twice.

The idea floated around that maybe KW was looking at Ray Durham probably makes mores sense than any rumor I have heard lately. The question there though is what cost in players and salary and is it worth it?

Sounds like at least the Durham rumor had some legs though, with independant confirmation occuring. I wonder what Ray really thinks about coming back to Chicago?

Here is a thought although you will all hate it. Its pure speculation and proably will not come true. What if we were interested in bynes to take rowands place. We send garland and rowand to AZ for vazquez. AZ was rumored to want Rowand and Garland before during the Johnson three way. Just a thought. Not liking it but it makes sense. AZ wants Rowand, we have not signed him, and I bet he is holding out for more money. We must far apart money wise or this thing would have gotten done. Just something to think about.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 06:21 PM)
Here is a thought although you will all hate it. Its pure speculation and proably will not come true. What if we were interested in bynes to take rowands place. We send garland and rowand to AZ for vazquez. AZ was rumored to want Rowand and Garland before during the Johnson three way. Just a thought. Not liking it but it makes sense. AZ wants Rowand, we have not signed him, and I bet he is holding out for more money. We must far apart money wise or this thing would have gotten done. Just something to think about.

I thought the same thing.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)

You are right, i do hate it. That is too much for the type of numbers vazquez would most likely put up here.