ESPN Rumor Central

gsoxs1

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 02:08 PM)
What if you were presented with the option of either Pods or Burns + Garland to get Vazquez, which goes?  If AZ would take Pods, I'd be one happy camper.

The Sox wouldn't and shouldn't give up Pods. They have two RH hitters in Rowand and Dye set for at least 2 yrs. They don't need another RH hitter, at the expense of Pods.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont want to beat a dead horse, but I agree with the trade, but I would rather trade SPOD than Byrnes. Byrnes plays harder I think and would be a better addition to our team. If we could somehow trade garland and SPOD to AZ for Vasquez, that would work out for everyone. They would get a speedy center fielder and a west-coast born pitcher with some promise, and we would get an even better arm for our rotation, and still have our center fielder.

QUOTE(babybearhater @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 09:10 AM)
I dont want to beat a dead horse, but I agree with the trade, but I would rather trade SPOD than Byrnes.  Byrnes plays harder I think and would be a better addition to our team.  If we could somehow trade garland and SPOD to AZ for Vasquez, that would work out for everyone.  They would get a speedy center fielder and a west-coast born pitcher with some promise, and we would get an even better arm for our rotation, and still have our center fielder.

The only problem is that Arizona has expressed an interest in Byrnes.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
We're not getting Vazquez. All reports indicate he wants to play in the NL & on the E coast.  The Marlins are now talking to AZD on acquiring him.  He has expressed an interest to play for FLM. AZD received $19M in the deals & FLM will be asking for a good chunk of that.

Well. That's settled then.

The CWS does not need Byrnes so the only thing making sense to me remains a swap of OFers (giving Beane the cheaper option) or a 3rd team wanting Byrnes & willing to give up a middle IF. But again that makes no sense because that's what the A's are looking for. This looks like a lame rumor at this point & we should just ignore it.

Can someone answer this? Rowand & the CWS avoided arbitration & Rowand remains unsigned. How is that possible? How can he remain unsigned & not a FA? It was my understanding that as a RFA if the CWS do not offer arbitration by the deadline Rowand becomes a FA.

Look this whole thread is speculation including my comments on munoz. In fact most of this board is speculation. Point is IF the Sox are interested in Bynes, which maybe a rumor then they may interested in trading rowand which they might not. I beleive that is what this thread is about, and thats the way it will end until somebody talks to the media.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)
Look this whole thread is speculation including my comments on munoz. In fact most of this board is speculation. Point is IF the Sox are interested in Bynes, which maybe a rumor then they may interested in trading rowand which they might not. I beleive that is what this thread is about, and thats the way it will end until somebody talks to the media.

Speculation is so much fun though. It causes such imteresting discussion here.

I agree with you.  Any trade for Byrnes means that either Rowand or Pods

is sent packing. But where we disagree is what the A's would want for Byrnes.  It's not Rowand or Pods because they picked up Byrnes replacement in the Hudson trade.

I couldnt figure out which one of your 8 posts to quote. But if it is true that Vasquez does not want to play in the AL, and FLA wants him, why dont we turn him around to FLA, and pick up AJ and Castilla????? problem solved.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 05:51 PM)
I agree with you.  Any trade for Byrnes means that either Rowand or Pods

is sent packing. But where we disagree is what the A's would want for Byrnes.  It's not Rowand or Pods because they picked up Byrnes replacement in the Hudson trade.

if your posting to me I never suggested we trade Rowand to the A's. if your not posting to me, then please disregard this post.

For all of you people with this Vazquez hard on...

We have a guy in Garland who like it or not is going to make 3.5 Mil who we know can put up an ERA under 5 in Cell...

You'd rather give that up plus our best prospects and the most solid player to come out of our minor league system in years (Rowand) and a young player who is decent (Harris) for a guy who is going to cost 11 Mil and very possibily would piss his pants in the Cell.

If the money was even maybe but Vazquez just doesn't deserve that money and sure as hell Arizona isn't going to give us any back.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 06:58 PM)

We have a guy in Garland who like it or not is going to make 3.5 Mil who we know can put up an ERA under 5 in Cell...

You'd rather give that up plus our best prospects and the most solid player to come out of our minor league system in years (Rowand) and a young player who is decent (Harris) for a guy who is going to cost 11 Mil and very possibily would piss his pants in the Cell.

If the money was even maybe but Vazquez just doesn't deserve that money and sure as hell Arizona isn't going to give us any back.

no one has said that the sox will trade Rowand, Harris, Garland and top prospects for Vazquez. As for the "Vazquez hard on" it seems the sox braintrust has one, as they are the ones looking for Byrnes as probable trade bait to AZ. Don't kill the messenger.

But a team who trades for Vazquez [if they give up good talent] is likely to get some cash back, to make his salary around $8 mill a yr.

reading is fundamental, I dont think that anyone offered all of those players for Vaz, in fact, I believe that alot of the people posting only said Garland and Bynes or SPODS. So in no way is that our best prospect, now any homegrown best player (arow), so I am not sure that your point makes sense.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 07:43 PM)
no one has said that the sox will trade Rowand, Harris, Garland and top prospects for Vazquez. As for the "Vazquez hard on" it seems the sox braintrust has one, as they are the ones looking for Byrnes as probable trade bait to AZ. Don't kill the messenger.

But a team who trades for Vazquez [if they give up good talent] is likely to get some cash back, to make his salary around $8 mill a yr.

agreed, your post is exactly right.

I couldnt figure out which one of your 8 posts to quote.  But if it is true that Vasquez does not want to play in the AL, and FLA wants him, why dont we turn him around to FLA, and pick up AJ and Castilla????? problem solved.

You're assuming that we have more to give to AZD for Vazquez than the FLM do. I'm not sure I would agree with that but if AZD wants Byrnes that badly & Beane covets something we have then I would certainly pursue it. A 4 team trade surrounding Vazquez as a part of the RJ deal. What a ripple effect!

QUOTE(username3 @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 04:37 PM)
i think we should be lookin to tidy up our infield a little bit.  I'm still not sold on crede.

I’m not the biggest Crede fan, but the guy has been ok, if he was a weak point going into 05. That would be ok with me, I’m more concerned with Willie, nothing against him but I really feel uncomfortable with Willie as an everyday starter, he isn’t consistent enough. And he appears to be afraid or incapable of stealing a base.