Farenheit

Chisoxfn

Gimme a freaking break. On the viewers choice yesterday they gave Farnheit 9/11 film of the year. Not documentary of the year, film of the year. I can't freaking believe that drivel got film of the year.

I know the left side will disagree with me, but its a given that his documentaries are filled with erroneous bulls***. Maybe its just me and my hatred for CBS, but since it aired on CBS I wonder if they had any say in this at all.

I guess it had to be the fact that Hollywood tends to be more left, but I can't possibly believe that the people (I don't know how the voting process works) would of picked this as film of the year.

I mean, was it better then Ray??? where Jamie Foxx did a flipping outstanding job.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 09:38 PM)
Gimme a freaking break.  On the viewers choice yesterday they gave Farnheit 9/11 film of the year.  Not documentary of the year, film of the year.  I can't freaking believe that drivel got film of the year. 

I know the left side will disagree with me, but its a given that his documentaries are filled with erroneous bulls***.  Maybe its just me and my hatred for CBS, but since it aired on CBS I wonder if they had any say in this at all.

I guess it had to be the fact that Hollywood tends to be more left, but I can't possibly believe that the people (I don't know how the voting process works) would of picked this as film of the year. 

I mean, was it better then Ray??? where Jamie Foxx did a flipping outstanding job.

OMG, Jas started a thread. Mark your calendars :lolhitting

Documentary would imply it was factual, and I do not believe it was. As you noted too many undocumented and/or hard to prove opinions IMHAOIO to be a documentary. I thought the directing, production values, and ability to produce strong emotions made it an excellent film, even thought, as lefty as I am, I did not agree with much of the content.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 09:38 PM)

Was Ray even nominated? I mean I didn't vote for any of it (and wouldn't of because I think the movie was stupid) but what exactly was it's competition? Spiderman? The Incredibles?

I'm just curious because I was asleep during this whole award show...

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 01:03 AM)
So a film that plays fast and loose with the facts and actually had the opposite effect that it was intended to have is now film of the year according to these idiots huh?  More reason why the so-called experts are totally out to lunch on what constitutes a good movie.

Nuke, Star Wars insn't real either, and there wasn't really a Napolean Dynamite. Movies can be fiction. Godfather was a great movie by most peoples standards. Was the intent of the film to glorify or demonize organized crime? If it was to demonize, would the film then suck because it had the opposite effect?

Notice it wasn't nominated as a documentary. This movie was not a journalistic or historical portrayal. Just like Rush is entertainent and doesn't have to stick to facts, either do the movies. Major Payne didn't ride in and save that Military Academy and Bill Murray wasn't in the Army.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 07:02 AM)
Nuke, Star Wars insn't real either, and there wasn't really a Napolean Dynamite. Movies can be fiction. Godfather was a great movie by most peoples standards. Was the intent of the film to glorify or demonize organized crime? If it was to demonize, would the film then suck because it had the opposite effect?

Notice it wasn't nominated as a documentary. This movie was not a journalistic or historical portrayal. Just like Rush is entertainent and doesn't have to stick to facts, either do the movies. Major Payne didn't ride in and save that Military Academy and Bill Murray wasn't in the Army.

Did I miss George Lucas trying to influence an election with a movie? Was Major Payne a documentary? Sorry the comparision is weak at best.

Damn I had a much better response written and I accidentally deleted it when pasting the quote. Here's goes a replacement.

What I am saying is the movie should be judged as a movie. Was Gaye undeserving of a Grammy for What's Goin' On because the war was still being fought?

Films do not have to be accurate. The best parallel I can give is the Blair Witch Project. It was shot as a documentary but nominated as a film. To put F911 as a documentary is wrong. Just like calling Rush a journalist is wrong (or so I've been told). Rush distorts things and twists things and gets things totally wrong, yet winds radio awards because he's an entertainer. Moore is an entertainer. We have to accept both.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 08:51 AM)
What's Going On

(Al Cleveland/Marvin Gaye/Renaldo Benson)

Mother, mother

There's too many of you crying

Brother, brother, brother

There's far too many of you dying

You know we've got to find a way

To bring some lovin' here today - Ya

Father, father

We don't need to escalate

You see, war is not the answer

For only love can conquer hate

You know we've got to find a way

To bring some lovin' here today

Picket lines and picket signs

Don't punish me with brutality

Talk to me, so you can see

Oh, what's going on

What's going on

Ya, what's going on

Ah, what's going on

In the mean time

Right on, baby

Right on

Right on

Father, father, everybody thinks we're wrong

Oh, but who are they to judge us

Simply because our hair is long

Oh, you know we've got to find a way

To bring some understanding here today

Oh

Picket lines and picket signs

Don't punish me with brutality

Talk to me

So you can see

What's going on

Ya, what's going on

Tell me what's going on

I'll tell you what's going on - Uh

Right on baby

Right on baby

Edited by Texsox

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 09:03 AM)
Moore tried to pass this drivel off as a documentary when released, during the course of an election. Very similar to "Rathergate".  Of course, as Moore was pressed on issues and truths, he backed away from the documentary stance.

But the marketing hype should be separate from the film for awards. People can say whatever they like, but in the end, the work of art must be judged on it's own merits. Unless you have Moore whispering to you during the movie, what happens outside the movie isn't relevant.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)
But the marketing hype should be separate from the film for awards. People can say whatever they like, but in the end, the work of art must be judged on it's own merits. Unless you have Moore whispering to you during the movie, what happens outside the movie isn't relevant.

Hooray for Hollywood!

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 09:11 AM)
I agree it sucked as a documentary. Rush's show sucks as a journalist.  Both are damn fine entertainment.

At least with Rush, you know you are getting his OPINION. Moore attempted to pass this film off as FACT.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 09:15 AM)
I didn't think so... as long as it had a theatrical release that preceded the DVD release.  I could be wrong though.

I thought there was discussions months ago that Moore, who has control of the movie, refused to submit it as a documentary, only as a film.

Beverly Hills, CA — The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences today announced the list of films that will continue on in the voting process in the category of Best Documentary Feature for the 77th Academy Awards®.

The 12 films from which the five nominees will be selected are listed below in alphabetical order:

"Born into Brothels"

"Home of the Brave"

"Howard Zinn: You Can't Be Neutral on a Moving Train"

"In the Realms of the Unreal"

"Riding Giants"

"The Ritchie Boys"

"The Story of the Weeping Camel"

"Super Size Me"

"Tell Them Who You Are"

"Touching the Void"

"Tupac: Resurrection"

"Twist of Faith"

Eligible documentaries were screened by the Documentary Branch Screening Committee, made up of members of the branch who serve on a volunteer basis. The above films were chosen after a preliminary round of screenings.

The nominated films will be announced along with nominations in 24 other categories on Tuesday, January 25, at 5:30 a.m. PST .

Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2004 will be presented on Sunday, February 27, 2005 , from the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland®. The Oscars will be televised live by the ABC Television Network beginning at 5:00 p.m. PST

Notice something missing? No, the Academy hasn't snubbed Fahrenheit 911. Moore and his film company are entering the work into the Best Picture category, not wanting to settle for the "little" prizes.

Risky move though, as there's no guarantee that the Academy will actually let the film in.

Worldwide distribution rights to Jessica Yu's "In The Realms of the Unreal" were bought today by a distributor called Wellspring. "Unreal" will open in theaters on December 22nd at Film Forum in New York and at San Francisco's Castro Theater. The film debuted at Sundance, played at festivals in London and Seattle, before winning the best documentary award at the Vancouver Film Festival.

From http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/academy_awards/112243

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 09:21 AM)
Whatever was submitted to the Academy is irrelevent.  He tried to pass it off to the public as a documentary.

I agree that passing it off as a documentary was wrong. I just believe each film, song, painting, essay, etc. should be judged on it's own merits, without explanations without gaining or losing points from marketing and "intent".

If Moore would have been a Right Wing Nut instead of a Left Wing Nut imagine the Swift Boat film we would have seen. A little kid in his jammies being gunned down while holding a lolly pop.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 09:34 AM)
I agree that passing it off as a documentary was wrong.  I just believe each film, song, painting, essay, etc. should be judged on it's own merits, without explanations without gaining or losing points from marketing and "intent".

If Moore would have been a Right Wing Nut instead of a Left Wing Nut imagine the Swift Boat film we would have seen. A little kid in his jammies being gunned down while holding a lolly pop.

You specualte about that all you want. That scenario didn't occur. Moore trying to pass this off as a documentary during an election did occur. It has nothing to do with marketing and everything to do with politics.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 09:36 AM)
You specualte about that all you want.  That scenario didn't occur.  Moore trying to pass this off as a documentary during an election did occur.  It has nothing to do with marketing and everything to do with politics.

I am not 100% disagreeing with you on the politics but I believe it was secondary to artistic and career matters.

You don't think he wanted to sell tickets to his movie? I think it had everything to do with his career as a film maker and making gobs of money. The storm of controversy, the notoriety, the selling of tickets allows his next film to be produced.

Do you disagree if he was a Right Wing Nut he would have made something about the Swift Boat vets? I think his professional drive would stay the same, his style would stay the same, just the material would change.