Aussie News

Texsox

Families forced to drink effluent

January 12, 2005

HUNDREDS of western Sydney residents have unknowingly been drinking unhygienic recycled water.

The Daily Telegraph has learned that several residents of Glenwood and Kellyville have fallen ill after drinking the recycled water.

Recycled water was mistakenly pumped through drinking water pipes - at least the fourth such blunder in recent years.

One family suffered from upset stomachs after pipes were misconnected during landscaping works. Others have complained of sore throats and skin irritations.

The dual-pipe recycled water scheme was designed for new estates in the Rouse Hill area in the early 1990s.

Used water goes to a treatment plant in Rouse Hill before being piped back to houses to be used for outdoor hoses and in the toilet.

Documents obtained under Freedom of Information show there have been at least four incidents of cross-connection since 2001.

In the most recent incident - in August - 82 homes in four streets in Glenwood were cross-connected, allegedly after a plumbing mistake in a house under construction.

The mistake occurred in a house on Rothwell Circuit, Glenwood, and affected houses in Rothwell Circuit, Consolo Ave, Carolyn Court and Rory Court in August.

Sydney Water became aware of the cross-connection when a homeowner rang to say his water tasted salty. OMG!

Spokesman Col Judge said Sydney Water technicians repaired the pipes the day after the complaint.

Residents were told of the problem and offered bottled water to drink.

Several local residents complained of rashes and skin problems after drinking the recycled water.

One resident said her husband and two daughters suffered skin problems shortly after moving into their new home in February, 2002.

The problems cleared up soon after the cross-connection was fixed.

Sydney Water offered the affected residents a rebate.

QUOTE(Mr. Zero @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 12:20 PM)
Is this why I haven't seen DBAH0 around the past few hours?

Get well soon!

No that'd just be me being lazy and sleeping in during the summer holidays. :lol:

And now I don't live in Sydney, luckily I live in a state that has CLEAN drinking water. :headbang