Best players by position

I noticed no threads here yet, so I thought I would add one. Here is my list of the top player at each position in the draft and 1 wildcard that could take over the 1st spot at the combines etc.

QB. Matt Leinart USC

WC. Alex Smith Utah(if arm is strong enough in combines he should compete for #1 pick spot)

RB. Cedric Benson Texas

WC. Cadillac Williams Auburn (not much a wildcard, but I just love his style)

FB. Zach Tuiasosopo WSU

WC. Kyle Eckel, if the Navy shortens his service

WR. Mike Williams USC/none

WC. Troy Williamson South Carolina(could end up top WR if his height 6'2 and 4.4 40 times prove themselves in the combine)

TE. Heath Miller UVA

WC. Kevin Everett Miami

OT. Alex Barron FSU

WC. Marcus McNeil Auburn

OG. David Baas Mich

WC. Elton Brown UVA

C. Ben Wilkerson LSU

WC. Jason Brown UNC

DE. Erasmus Jones

WC. David Pollack

DT. Rodrique Wright

WC. Haloti Ngata Oregon(freak of nature, ? on entering draft yet)

OLB. Derrick Johnson

WC. Not really one,I think Johnson is the best player in draft but Demarcus Ware Troy State

MLB. Channing Crowder UF

WC. Odell Thurman UGA (best hitter in draft in my opinion)

CB. Antrelle Rolle Miami(move to safety in his future?)

WC. Justin Miller Clemson

S. Thomas Davis UGA

WC. Rodney Pool OU

Whatever Johnson does in the long run, last year's draft looks pretty bad for the Bears, especially in the lower rounds. Joe and Harriot lasted all of a minute or two before they were cut, Marshall is hanging by a thread, and Krenzel might be soon. I hope they alter their philosophy a bit -- speed's fine, but it's not everything.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 03:53 PM)
Good idea for a subforum, I was gonna ask if we could have one.

Thanks.

Jason was all for it. We think it could be a nice addition to the Sportsbar. I have been very involved with the NFL Draft for over 5 years and I just can get enough draft chatter. In a few days I'll have my first mock draft out and in a few hours, I'd like to have my first position breakdown/analysis.

Stock Rising/Falling, Top Prospects, Hot Positions, Over/Under rated, GM Criticism...all things touched on in the War Room

Dig In! Enjoy Everyone!

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 09:15 PM)
Whatever Johnson does in the long run, last year's draft looks pretty bad for the Bears, especially in the lower rounds.  Joe and Harriot lasted all of a minute or two before they were cut, Marshall is hanging by a thread, and Krenzel might be soon.  I hope they alter their philosophy a bit -- speed's fine, but it's not everything.

I disagree.

That draft has the potential to send us four starters/quality players in Vasher (could be our nickleback next season), Berrian (had a very solid year once he got the rookie-jitters out, speedy, should be the number 3 receiver next season, loved by this coaching staff), Tommie Harris (awesome), and possibly Tank Johnson.

I'll bash Angelo for some of his signings, some of his contracts given out, but one area where I cannot bash him is drafting.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 04:45 PM)
I disagree. 

That draft has the potential to send us four starters/quality players in Vasher (could be our nickleback next season), Berrian (had a very solid year once he got the rookie-jitters out, speedy, should be the number 3 receiver next season, loved by this coaching staff), Tommie Harris (awesome), and possibly Tank Johnson.

I'll bash Angelo for some of his signings, some of his contracts given out, but one area where I cannot bash him is drafting.

I have all the confidence in the world in Angelo's drafting ability.

Last year's draft was a success.

Defensive Tackle- Perhaps the position least likely to produce a rookie impact, was drafted successfully in both Tommie Harris and Tank Johnson. Harris, drafted per Lovie's defensive scheme, was widley successful this season and was on pace to contend for ROY honors. With one season under his belt, two training camps under his belt, and an improved 40 time, Harris will be a forced to be reckoned with next year. As for Tank Johnson: Tank, brought in to compete with Harris, did exactly that. Although he didn't have great success in his rookie campaign, his production was par for the course. If Tommie didn't have the success he had in 2004, Tank would have gotten more recognition as an above-average rookie DT. If he wanted to, Angelo does not have to draft another DT in 2005 or 2006; I guage that as a success at that position.

Cornerback- Vasher. What could be said of this kid that hasn't already been stated? In my opinion, Vasher could have been consider a top three candidate in ROY voting. Often as a reserve or the nickle-back, Vasher proved to be an above average defender with excellent hands and a nose for the football. He can be an upper-tier CB in the future.

Wide Recieve- Berrian, a draft-day risk, panned out. Coming off some serious injury and character questions, Berrian proved he deserved a spot on the roster. I think we are kidding ourselves if we ever expect him to be a Randy/Terrell/Torry recieve, but he can be a very servicable WR in the mold of Terry Porter or Koran Robinson.

Each draft is going to have its disappointments (Joe, Harriot), but on the whole, Angelo drafts with the best of em'. Don't let Tank Johnson dictate if 2004's draft class was a success.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 10:45 PM)
I disagree. 

I'm not questioning his ability to draft good players, I think 2003 was a big success. But the 2004 draft, imo, focused too much on speed. Joe and Harriot had good 40 times, and....? A team has to be able to get at least some role players from the lower rounds, we got next to nothing.

That's my only complaint. Harris looks very good, Vasher was a steal, Berrian and Johnson, wait and see.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 11:51 AM)
It really sucks that the bears wasted their second round pick on Tank last year -- I think that Jonathan babineaux could end up being a steal in the DT spot.

Babineaux definately has a real good initial burst. Made great strides since shifting positions.

is leinart coming out this year? i heard he was thinking of staying another year

QB Jason White Oklahoma

WC. Jason Cambell Auburn (good 2nd-3rd round pick)

RB. Cedric Benson Texas

WC. Cadillac Williams Auburn / (partner in crime) Ronnie Brown

WR. Breylan Edwards

WC. Mark Clayton

QUOTE(backman @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 07:04 PM)
is leinart coming out this year? i heard  he was thinking of staying another year

QB Jason White Oklahoma

WC. Jason Cambell Auburn (good 2nd-3rd round pick)

RB. Cedric Benson Texas

WC. Cadillac Williams Auburn / (partner in crime) Ronnie Brown

WR. Breylan Edwards

WC. Mark Clayton

He said he'll announce by Wed

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 06:05 PM)
ROFL.......no.

White has a shot to be a top 15.....QB.

whats wrong with jason white, he may have a little trouble winning the big game, but so what, lots of season verterans in the nfl still have trouble winning when it matters. jason white has the numbers and the potential to be a top draft choice.

QUOTE(backman @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 06:19 PM)
whats wrong with jason white,  he may have a little trouble winning the big game, but so what, lots of season verterans in the nfl still have trouble winning when it matters. jason white has the numbers and the potential to be a top draft choice.

oh wow.. you think White is gonna get DRAFTED!?!?!

come on, the guy has 2 bum knees and plays in a wide open offense.. ever hear of Josh Huepel?.. He was another OU QB who had great numbers and was like second in the Heisman, he got drafted.... in the 7th round and then got cut..

Im sorry, but White will most likely not be drafted..

QUOTE(Man Of Steel @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 06:25 PM)
oh wow.. you think White is gonna get DRAFTED!?!?!

come on, the guy has 2 bum knees and plays in a wide open offense.. ever hear of Josh Huepel?.. He was another OU QB who had great numbers and was like second in the Heisman, he got drafted.... in the 7th round and then got cut..

Im sorry, but White will most likely not be drafted..

Yup, MoS hit the nail right on the head.

Jason White, although QB for the mighty Sooners, will be lucky to even get drafted. In fact, he ranks 16 on my QB list behind the likes of Bruce Gradkowski and Gino Guidugli.

I'll put together my list of QB's since you spoke of yours AddisonSt, by the way, great idea on this seperate board, I like to ramble about draft stuff when I'm bored and have time also.

Here's my QB list.

1. Matt Leinart USC

2. Alex Smith Utah

3. Aaron Rodgers Cal

4. Charlie Frye Akron

5. Andrew Walter ASU

6. Kyle Orton Purdue

7. Jason Campbell Auburn

8. Dan Orlovsky UConn

9. Derek Anderson Oregon State

10. David Greene Georgia

11. Adrian McPherson (AFL)

12. Gino Guidugli Cinci

13. Stefan Lefors Louisville

14. Stan Hill Marshall

15. Chris Rix FSU

16. Jason White OU

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 07:40 PM)
I'll put together my list of QB's since you spoke of yours AddisonSt, by the way, great idea on this seperate board, I like to ramble about draft stuff when I'm bored and have time also.

Here's my QB list.

1. Matt Leinart USC

2. Alex Smith Utah

3. Aaron Rodgers Cal

4. Charlie Frye Akron

5. Andrew Walter ASU

6. Kyle Orton Purdue

7. Jason Campbell Auburn

8. Dan Orlovsky UConn

9. Derek Anderson Oregon State

10. David Greene Georgia

11. Adrian McPherson (AFL)

12. Gino Guidugli Cinci

13. Stefan Lefors Louisville

14. Stan Hill Marshall

15. Chris Rix FSU

16. Jason White OU

Nice list. Real nice list.

I'll be posting mine tonight. Nice to see you too have former Heisman Winner Jason White at 16. Please feel free to chime in on my choices a little later. :headbang