indians sign juan gone

thedoctor

CLEVELAND (AP) — Juan Gonzalez led the Indians the last time they reached the playoffs. They think he may be healthy enough to do it again.

Gonzalez signed a minor league contract with Cleveland on Tuesday, returning to the team he had 35 homers and 140 RBIs for in 2001.

Gonzalez’s production has dropped since then because of injuries. But Indians general manager Mark Shapiro said Gonzalez has been working with a trainer to overcome back problems and is close to 100 percent.

“Should he come into camp healthy and in good form, I fully expect him to make our club and be a starting outfielder,” Shapiro said.

If Gonzalez makes the Indians’ 25-man roster in spring training, he would get $600,000 and have a chance to earn another $1.65 million in bonuses based on plate appearances and $300,000 based on time on the active roster.

Shapiro said the signing involves little risk for the Indians and has the potential to improve the team’s run production.

“He’s extremely positive. Extremely motivated. Excited to come back here,” Shapiro said. “He’s conscious of what we’re going through right now and wants to be a part of that.”

Both the Indians and Gonzalez haven’t been the same since 2001 — the last time Cleveland was in the postseason and the two-time American League MVP played a full season.

Once one of baseball’s most feared right-handed power hitters, the 35-year-old Gonzalez has been limited to just 185 games the past three seasons with Texas and Kansas City because of a variety of injuries.

He played in just 33 games with the Royals last season, batting .276 with five homers and 17 RBIs. He has 434 career homers for Texas, Detroit, Cleveland and Kansas City.

Gonzalez could take the right-field job away from Casey Blake, who is moving there from third to make room for Aaron Boone.

If that happens, Shapiro said Blake could be moved to left field, pushing Coco Crisp to center and forcing Grady Sizemore to begin the season at Triple-A Buffalo.

Shapiro said he is still looking to improve the team’s bench and is talking to utilityman Lou Merloni about returning to the club.

He said even if he doesn’t add another player, he’s satisfied with what the team has accomplished this offseason, signing pitchers Kevin Millwood, Bob Wickman and Scott Elarton, infielders Ronnie Belliard and Jose Hernandez, and trading for reliever Arthur Rhodes.

“If we are done, I feel good about what we’ve done,” Shapiro said.

I believe Juan has something left. Obviously not defensively. He played a half season in 03 I believe that would have translated into a 40 homer year. I doubt he can play more than 120 games-but I bet the pop is still there. I think the Indians have needed to add a veteran bat since Thome left, and they have done that. It's low risk-high reward.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 10:44 PM)
It's low risk-high reward.

More like low risk-moderate reward. His back hasn't been right in years. He'll still pop 20 homers and probably have around 65 rbi's, but he'll probably be healthy for only 100 games. But $1.65mil isn't a bad investment.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 05:10 PM)
Why didn't the Sox do this? A minor league deal and also he'll probably be a good DH for them. I agree, he probably can't play defense anymore, but I think Juan Gone can still hit.

Its a minor league deal that only amounts to money if he makes the team. I think he would be unlikely to beat out Frank Thomas or Carl Everett for a spot on the Sox. So he's smart to look over the rosters and go where he thinks he can stick with the big team.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 05:10 PM)
Why didn't the Sox do this? A minor league deal and also he'll probably be a good DH for them. I agree, he probably can't play defense anymore, but I think Juan Gone can still hit.

Why would you even say that, there is absolutely no need at all for Juan Gonzalez and there is no way in hell, if he has any kind of brains, that he would sign with the Sox. Seeing how he has no chance of making the team.

QUOTE(whitesox91403 @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 05:32 PM)
The Indians worry me. If Juan Gone and Millwoood work out for them, they are going to be that much tougher. Plus, they have Aaron Boone now. Thank god they traded Lawton.

Their bullpen still sucks and their rotation is medicore. They do have an excellent offense but that do not have all the pieces in my opinion to really contend.

I wish we had got him....I had him in my radar for a minor league contract

Low risk, high reward deals are huge for a team like ours with salary constraints

The Indians are quietly getting in position to contend for the division. And we all know if they even have one winning season, they will spend the money for another 10 year run at the division, while we will continue to twiddle our thumbs

:chair

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 06:06 PM)
So you rather bank on Rowand producing like last year (his first decent year ever) and Pod returning to his two year back form?

Umm...ok whatever

Rowand was a career .283 hitter coming into last season i believe. Just saying.

QUOTE(Chisoxmatt @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 12:17 AM)
I'm not worried about him.  He's washed up.  I sure as hell wouldnt have wanted him.

Every year some teams get these low risk, high reward washed up players to work and it helps them big time

Did you know Rod Beck was better than Koch last year?

Did you know Carpenter was better than any freaking starting pitcher on our squad?

i have a question didnt the mets offer juan a major league deal? or if not the mets anyone? i dont see why he took a minor league deal , were he'll be playing with players trying to work their butts off to make it to the majors, i have the feeling he will just get forgoten.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 07:22 PM)
Every year some teams get these low risk, high reward washed up players to work and it helps them big time

Did you know Rod Beck was better than Koch last year?

Did you know Carpenter was better than any freaking starting pitcher on our squad?

I feel pretty confident with where our OF stands. Juan Gone can't run or hit for contact. What good is he in this lineup? If he can play 2B, sure I'll take him. :rolly

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 11:10 PM)

Frank Thomas is our DH that's why. Why would you sign someone who is a risk physically and you don't have a spot for anyway? Juan may have signed a minor leagure contract, but he won't spend any time in the minor leagues. That is just a formality and my guess these types of signings don't count against your 40 man roster.