U.S. ends search for WMD

KipWellsFan

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 10:50 AM)
Did you notice whenever Canda comes up in a debate at some point it's just

ok, whatever, it's just Canada. There is no fire to keep up the debate. I think we've been ignoring them ever since beaver fur went out of style.

I kid, 'cause I care®

Used by permission

That's not true. We are too busy ignoring Mexico.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 10:28 AM)
Okay I got my facts wrong but as of 2003 the United States defense budget is 11 times as big as the next largest, Great Britain and I'm certain in the last two years this budget has risen. 

Although I also remember reading recently that they wanted to make budget cuts?

http://www.clw.org/milspend/ushighestbudget.html

http://www.scoop.co.nz/mason/stories/HL0401/S00066.htm

Bush proposed $60 billion in cuts in defense.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 10:50 AM)
ok, whatever, it's just Canada. There is no fire to keep up the debate. I think we've been ignoring them ever since beaver fur went out of style.

Beaver fur will NEVER go out of style. :D :nono ;)

Or do I mean furry beavers?

QUOTE(mreye @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 11:18 AM)
We're guys.

We like to  :drink  :wub: & :fight

You even got it in order :D

By the way, this thread has officially been hijacked 4 times. We are now playing 4 degrees from WMD :lolhitting

Edited by Texsox

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 10:43 AM)
I would like to acknowledge that having a country like Canada sharing such a long border, has been nice and helped both countries. Imagine a cold war with Russia pointing warheads from Windsor instead of Canadian Gentleman's Clubs.

:usa :canada

QUOTE(mreye @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 10:50 AM)
That's badmouthing right there. You're calling me a zombie.

Yes, this has lots to do with Indonesia - That's part of foreign policy. Helping out in a time of need anywhere in the world. We give more federal dollars and private dollars than anyone! It's a biproduct of our type of government that you despise so much.

This post made me go out and do some research.

-Since World War 2 US Foreign Aid has gone from 15% of the federal budget to .72%.

-In 2000 the top recipient of US aid was Israel!?!

-Of the other top beneficiaries in 2000 none were from Africa

-As of 2000 America isn't even close to being the top foreign aid giver when it comes to percentage of gross domestic product

-UN recommends at least 0.7% of the GDP, the US as of 2000 have given 0.1%.

-As of January 10 the US was 5th in total amount of aid given (gov't money)

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)

-Since World War 2 US Foreign Aid has gone from 15% of the federal budget to .72%.

-As of 2000 America isn't even close to being the top foreign aid giver when it comes to percentage of gross domestic product

Well ... keeping in mind that statistics can be massaged, in fiscal year 2003 the US can 40% of all world wide aid for disaster relief. Just an example twisted statistics. It is probably true, but, like yours, statistics can say exactly what you want them to.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)
Well ... keeping in mind that statistics can be massaged, in fiscal year 2003 the US can 40% of all world wide aid for disaster relief. Just an example twisted statistics.  It is probably true, but, like yours, statistics can say exactly what you want them to.

Well that's good, but what percentage of aid have they given to Africa this year? That I'd like to know. AIDS makes this tsunami look like a b****. :P

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)
Well that's good, but what percentage of aid have they given to Africa this year?  That I'd like to know.  AIDS makes this tsunami look like a b****. :P

I don't have a clue. What about Canada?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)
Well ... keeping in mind that statistics can be massaged, in fiscal year 2003 the US can 40% of all world wide aid for disaster relief. Just an example twisted statistics.  It is probably true, but, like yours, statistics can say exactly what you want them to.

Those numbers also leave out private aid. Most American aid comes from private foundations. Groups like the Gates foundation, and Ted Turners charity are probably the biggest donors to causes like AIDS and preventable childhood diseases in 3rd world countries.

One factor that seemingly isn't included in our foreign aid dollars are the billions in defense we spend to keep piss ants from killing each other. We call it peacekeeping, but I'll bet it is in our military spending numbers, not charged to foreign aid. I could be wrong, a quick google search didn't give me a clean link to be certain.

No one on this planet has or is spending the dollars or, more importantly, the lives, to keep bullies at bay and dictators from genocide. :usa

Edited by Texsox

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 01:17 PM)

Charitable donations for 2002 set a new high, rising 1 percent over 2001's total in current dollars, according to Giving USA, a report released Monday by the American Association of Fundraising Counsel's Trust for Philanthropy in Indianapolis. The estimated $240.92 billion in gifts equalled 2.3 percent of US gross domestic product.

:huh Notice I mentioned private dollars in my origianl post.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 01:23 PM)
Well that's good, but what percentage of aid have they given to Africa this year?  That I'd like to know.  AIDS makes this tsunami look like a b****. :P

U.S. congressional leaders agreed to add more than $1.3 billion to a global campaign against AIDS...

Canada offered $73 million

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 12:34 PM)
http://www.globalissues.org/TradeRelated/D...sp?so=d2003#oda

Good website that also deals with private donations.  I got to go to class now.  Great discussion. :)

Yep. :)

BTW, I found this on that link:

As an aside, it should be emphasized that the above figures are comparing government spending. Such spending has been agreed at international level and is spread over a number of priorities. Individual/private donations may be targeted in many ways. However, even though the charts above do show U.S. aid to be poor (in percentage terms) compared to the rest, the generosity of the people of America is far more impressive than their government.

Canada serves three important roles for the US

1. A place for the middle class to send their kids in times of a draft. The upper class has the Texas Air National Guard, the middle class has Canada, and the poor have a going away party.

2. A source of hockey players.

3. ??

Because we are not drafting soldiers yet, or playing hockey, there has to be a good reason why we are putting up with Canada. Maybe step one was getting the baseball teams out of there.

I kid, 'cuase I care®

Used by permission

Here is an old joke I liked.....

A man walked into the produce section of his local supermarket, and asked to buy half a head of lettuce.

The boy working in that department told him that they only sold whole heads of lettuce. The man was insistent that the boy ask his manager about the matter.

Walking into the back room, the boy said to the manager, "Some idiot wants to buy half a head of lettuce."

As he finished his sentence, he turned to find the man standing right behind him, so he added, "and this gentleman kindly offered to buy the other half." The manager approved the deal, and the man went on his way.

Later the manager said to the boy, "I was impressed with the way you got yourself out of that situation earlier.

We like people who think on their feet here. Where are you from, son?" "Canada, sir," the boy replied.

"Well, why did you leave Canada?" the manager asked.

The boy said, "Sir, there's nothing but whores and hockey players up there."

"Really?!" said the manager. "My wife is from Canada."

"No way??" replied the boy. "Who'd she play for?"

QUOTE(mreye @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 12:30 PM)
:huh Notice I mentioned private dollars in my origianl post.

Which goes to the big philosophical difference between US and many other world governments. We want our government to provide as little as possible to the people. We want to be able to make our own choices for as many things as we can. We don't want to be told what school to attend, what doctor to see, what organizations we will fund etc. Bureaucracy has exploded in the 20th century after the New Deal of the 30's/40's, and now we have an almost entire population who has no idea what it means to exsist without government assistance of one sort or another. Its a direct correlation of why we went from needing no income tax in the 18th and 19th century, to having a huge debt today.

Many countries have a history of entitlement so that is how their government and societies are set up. They pay high taxes, and they expect to be handed everything. The US historically wasn't founded like that. One founding father envisioned the US as independant utopian farmers, with an extremely limited government. That is why the government leaves much of charity work up to the private sector. And by and large the private sector responds as US private citizens give more to charities and causes than the rest of the world combined.