U.S. ends search for WMD

KipWellsFan

But then they turn around and do this:

Judge rules Islamic education OK in California classrooms

Turn around and do what? The only time the ACLU is mentioned in that article is when some guy says OH I BET THE ACLU WOULD STAGE A RIOT IF THEY TAUGHT ABOUT JESUS HAW HAW HAW.

Oh, and also, the article is largely full of s***. The controversy was that they were teaching too much about Islam's "glory days" of science and tolerance and too much about Christianity's crappy times like the dark ages, not that students had to practice Islam in any way.

Thank you WorldNetDaily, for your always objective coverage of issues and use of sources like the Assist Ministries.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(winodj @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
Except if you read the story, you'll find the ACLU was not at all involved in this case. So your point is what?

By "They" I meant the left. I didn't realize you only wanted ACLU cases.

QUOTE(winodj @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
Except if you read the story, you'll find the ACLU was not at all involved in this case. So your point is what?

My gut tells me if this was thePassion of Christ being portrayed, the ACLU would be more willing to get involved. I want an even playing field. I don't mind learning about other world views (religions) but treat mine equally with the rest.

Want more?

In Texas, a U.S. District judge decreed that any student uttering the word "Jesus" at his school's graduation would be arrested and locked up. "And make no mistake," announced Judge Samuel B. Kent, "the court is going to have a United States marshal in attendance at the graduation. If any student offends this court, that student will be summarily arrested and will face up to six months incarceration in the Galveston County Jail for contempt of court."

In Missouri, when fourth-grader Raymond Raines bowed his head in prayer before his lunch in the cafeteria of Waring Elementary School in St. Louis, his teacher allegedly ordered him out of his seat, in full view of other students present, and sent him to the principal’s office. After his third such prayer "offense," little Raymond was segregated from his classmates, ridiculed for his religious beliefs, and given one week's detention.

In New York, kindergartner Kayla Broadus recited the familiar and beloved prayer – "God is great, God is good. Thank you, God, for my food" – while holding hands with two students seated next to her at her snack table at her Saratoga Springs school early last year. But she was silenced and scolded by her teacher, who reported the infraction to the school’s lawyer, Gregg T. Johnson, who concluded that Kayla’s behavior was indeed a violation of the "separation of church and state."

How are these the "state" establishing religion?

QUOTE(mreye @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 12:01 PM)
Want more?

How are these the "state" establishing religion?

There is a moving line in all this. What is an acceptable form of prayer in a school and what is not? If I pray by facing the nearest bronze object and humming and you hold hands and whisper, and he needs to go outside and face wherever, is the school obligated to accommodate each of us? Where should they draw the line? If we accept my Church as being "acceptable" and therefor allowing me my prayer tradition, and don't accept yours, who chooses? Should the schools decide on a case by case basis? Should we look at how many kids of that faith are in the school, and if it's only one or two, they are out of luck? Should the government choose and create a list of religions tat are acceptable and those prayer traditions are allowed and all others are not? It is far easier to reject all or accept all, than to pick and choose.

I do not want my religion placed above anyone else's, nor do I want it placed beneath. I prefer equal footing for all and if that means rejecting all forms of prayer in schools, I will accept that.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 01:35 PM)
Which should tell you something.  Why didn't the ACLU sue to keep this stuff out of the classroom?

Because the way the ACLU works is that people go to the ACLU for help in lawsuits. They don't seek out these suits. In this case, the offended parents went to the Thomas More Law Center, who did the right thing and sued to have this removed from the curriculum.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 12:35 PM)
Which should tell you something.  Why didn't the ACLU sue to keep this stuff out of the classroom?

Genesis (the Bible book, not the Phil Collins led band ;) ) was "taught" in my son's Freshman Honors English Lit class. Interesting placement of creation. I do not think it was a coincidence that Genesis was selected.

If these Muslim, or Islamic, or whatever customs are presented in a World History context, I do not see the issue. If this was a weekly, school scheduled, program, like a morning Christian prayer or grace before lunch, I will bet the ACLU would have been involved.

One time vs. everyday I believe is one crossing point in this debate.

QUOTE(winodj @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 12:42 PM)
Because the way the ACLU works is that people go to the ACLU for help in lawsuits. They don't seek out these suits. In this case, the offended parents went to the Thomas More Law Center, who did the right thing and sued to have this removed from the curriculum.

They were probably busy feeding Christians to the lions anyways...

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 01:38 PM)
There is a moving line in all this. What is an acceptable form of prayer in a school and what is not? If I pray by facing the nearest bronze object and humming and you hold hands and whisper, and he needs to go outside and face wherever, is the school obligated to accommodate each of us? Where should they draw the line? If we accept my Church as being "acceptable" and therefor allowing me my prayer tradition, and don't accept yours, who chooses? Should the schools decide on a case by case basis? Should we look at how many kids of that faith are in the school, and if it's only one or two, they are out of luck? Should the government choose and create a list of religions tat are acceptable and those prayer traditions are allowed and all others are not? It is far easier to reject all or accept all, than to pick and choose.

I do not want my religion placed above anyone else's, nor do I want it placed beneath. I prefer equal footing for all and if that means rejecting all forms of prayer in schools, I will accept that.

If it's a disruption then it's a problem. These cases don't seem to be disrupting anyone.

PS I also meant the "Activist judges" you referred to.

Like all those ultra-liberals on the Supreme Court?

Want more?

1) They're not ACLU cases.

2) Do you have sources other than WorldNetDaily? The page I found those 3 cases on is an editorial and advertisement for a book about how there is no separation between church and state, including an article by David Barton, famous fake quote-creator.

3) I can't find any information on this Judge Kent case that isn't from WND or some blog quoting WND.

4) Raymond Raines was punished for fighting, not for saying grace.

From the Washington Post on December 6, 1994

The 10-year-old boy in St. Louis whom House Speaker-to-be Newt Gingrich said was put in detention for saying grace in a public school cafeteria was in fact disciplined for matters entirely unrelated to praying in school, according to the superintendent of St. Louis schools.

Gingrich highlighted the case on NBC's Meet the Press Sunday as evidence that public schools are repressing the rights of students who wish to pray. But the case of Raymond Raines is being contested in federal court in St. Louis, and the facts are far from clear.

"He was disciplined for some matters that were totally independent of silent praying,'' Superintendent David Mahan said. "We did a very thorough investigation. We talked to teachers, administrators and also to some students, and we could not find any evidence of the allegations that the parent and the student made.''

5) I do agree with you on the Kayla Broadus case, though it seemed to have been far exaggerated. "Silenced and scolded" is a bit off. She was told to not invite her classmates over and pray loudly. She wasn't told she couldn't pray at all.

A lot of these types of cases seem to be more urban legend than factual account.

Genesis (the Bible book, not the Phil Collins led band wink.gif ) was "taught" in my son's Freshman Honors English Lit class. Interesting placement of creation. I do not think it was a coincidence that Genesis was selected.

The Bible is a significant piece of literature and can be taught in a fair manner. In one of my high school English classes, we read the story of Abraham and Isaac and the Book of Ruth.

QUOTE(winodj @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 01:07 PM)
No, they don't have the funding for that. They use wood chippers instead.

And I guess that's, uh, your accomplice in the wood chipper...

They totally are WMD!

QUOTE(winodj @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 01:35 PM)
So, what were we talking about? Oh yeah. What do you think the possibilities of a Golden Girls reunion are?

Movie, series, or TV special? Do you have the complete series on DVD? I actually prefered her work on Maude and later her modeling career for photoshop pics. :jerry

I noticed it's annoying when people use the +Quote button instead of "Reply because the author of those quotes is not cited automatically. Somewhere this should be changed so we can quote multiple people at a time. EDIT: Maybe people are not using the buttons at all. :nono

And last I heard, Bea Arthur had some sort of contract holdout due to a dispute over the length.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
Movie, series, or TV special? Do you have the complete series on DVD? I actually prefered her work on Maude and later her modeling career for photoshop pics.  :jerry

Maude was by far one of the funniest sitcoms of the 70s with Florida Evans (from Good Times) as the maid.