ESPNHL

I've always hated shootouts because it's not a huge part of the game. But i'm changing my stance because the NHL is close to dead. Use shootouts in regular season, but playoffs keep sudden death. The NHL is dying for viewers and fans, and a shootout would be a huge way to get more. It's not the best option, but the NHL doesn't have much of a choice right now

Shoot outs are ok...kind of fun to watch. As for removing fighting that would be the worst mistake they could make....the hard hitting action and fighting are what brings a lot of excitement to each game. They may as well just play olympic style hockey then and really watch the sport friggin die off!!!

OK, i don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but all pictures on ESPN are showing up as red X's right now. This isn't the case for everything else on the internet, so i don't really know what's up. Is this ESPN, or my computer? If it's my computer, what did i do/what do i do to fix it? I'm not good with this stuff.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 12:50 PM)
Also like I have said b4, if they want to open the game up and make it a lot more fun one of the best things they could do is remove the red line....

They tried that for a year in the IHL and it sucked. All it did was encourage teams to dump and chase from farther out, and encourage more clutch and grabbing. It really backfired. It also turned the linesmen into moving targets as people were dumping from everywhere, and the linesmen usually weren't ready.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 12:50 PM)
OK, i don't know if anyone else is having this problem, but all pictures on ESPN are showing up as red X's right now. This isn't the case for everything else on the internet, so i don't really know what's up. Is this ESPN, or my computer? If it's my computer, what did i do/what do i do to fix it? I'm not good with this stuff.

Its your computer.

I like the current idea of increasing the widths of the lines, making each zone bigger without increasing the actual ice surface.

The biggest improvement the game could see is if the refs called obstruction in the neutral zone...EVERY TIME. I don't care if there are 25 penalties a game the first 2 weeks. If you read enough interviews with NHL players, their biggest beef is with the amount of obstruction in today's game. It's one thing to say you'll call it, it's another thing to actually enforce it to a T.

Goodbye fighting, hello shootout!

I like it!

As far as increased stickwork goes, implement an escalating fine scale AND suspend the offender without allowing the team to replace him on the roster. Hit the hatchet men in the pocketbook and short-hand the team and this s*** will stop, pronto!

If people can't play hockey without goonism, then the sport should die off. It's bulls*** to see some cementhead gooning it up late in a meaningless game, and I realize I'm probably in the minority here, but the fighting is boring to me. If the refs were given the leverage to call the game as it's written in the rulebooks, there'd be no need for goon revenge. The endless power plays would be punishment enough.

Some of the best hockey you'll ever see is played on wider rinks with no fighting, and THAT is what the NHL should strive for. The teams should have taken advantage of all this "time off" to rebuild their ice surfaces to match Olympic proportions - increase the emphasis on skating and passing and decrease the clutching, grabbing and neanderthal tactics and you'd have a MUCH better product.

Besides boxing, why is hockey the only sport that cannot survive without fighting? Football manages just fine, as does baseball and basketball. I think fighting turns the sport into a circus sideshow. If fans need to see fighting to enjoy the game, then there are serious problems with the game.

Give me a wide open game, with great skating, crisp passes, and some scoring, and I'm a happy man.

Because that's the way players have policed themselves for decades. Furthermore, it adds something to the game - any good fan can tell you that. It's part of momentum and the toughness that hockey is all about. It's hard to explain, but it really is part of the game. I don't live for fights, but they certainly have their place during the course of a season.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 05:49 PM)
Because that's the way players have policed themselves for decades. Furthermore, it adds something to the game - any good fan can tell you that. It's part of momentum and the toughness that hockey is all about. It's hard to explain, but it really is part of the game. I don't live for fights, but they certainly have their place during the course of a season.

Why doesn't it add something to basketball? Basketball was a joke in the 70s with the fights and after Rudy T almost died, they cleaned up their act, then their imagine, and soon were a major sport with major revenues.

Football is physical but doesn't need fighting to fill the stadiums.

Basketball is nowhere near as physical as hockey. To an extent, football isn't either. Football has more physical play, but the hits in hockey are far more intense. Emotions run much higher in a hockey game because of the physical play. It's part of the game, and without it you'd have stickwork and other cheap shots all over the place. I don't think hockey fills the stadium by using it. Most hockey fans are hockey fans because of the other facets of the game. Fighting just adds to it.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 05:57 PM)
Why doesn't it add something to basketball? Basketball was a joke in the 70s with the fights and after Rudy T almost died, they cleaned up their act, then their imagine, and soon were a major sport with major revenues.

Football is physical but doesn't need fighting to fill the stadiums.

Rudy T was sucker punched at the worst possible angle. Hockey fights don't usually start like that, and neither do basketballs. 95% of hockey fights are cleverly coriagraphed dances done at specific times to elicit a teams specific response. Both players agree to fight, otherwise an institgator penalty is given, which puts that team at huge disadvantage, so if the other player doesn't want to tangle, the great majority of the time they don't. You are making hockey fights sound like some wild west thing with no rules and no etiquette, and its not anything like that. Heck fighting in hockey is safer than boxing is, yet people pay $50 to see it on pay per view, and no one is calling for a ban on it, dispite people being killed and braindamaged from it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 08:13 AM)
Rudy T was sucker punched at the worst possible angle.  Hockey fights don't usually start like that, and neither do basketballs.  95% of hockey fights are cleverly coriagraphed dances done at specific times to elicit a teams specific response.  Both players agree to fight, otherwise an institgator penalty is given, which puts that team at huge disadvantage, so if the other player doesn't want to tangle, the great majority of the time they don't.  You are making hockey fights sound like some wild west thing with no rules and no etiquette, and its not anything like that.  Heck fighting in hockey is safer than boxing is, yet people pay $50 to see it on pay per view, and no one is calling for a ban on it, dispite people being killed and braindamaged from it.

You're using facts and logic to make your point. You know that doesn't carry any weight around here. LOL

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 06:31 PM)
Basketball is nowhere near as physical as hockey. To an extent, football isn't either. Football has more physical play, but the hits in hockey are far more intense. Emotions run much higher in a hockey game because of the physical play. It's part of the game, and without it you'd have stickwork and other cheap shots all over the place. I don't think hockey fills the stadium by using it. Most hockey fans are hockey fans because of the other facets of the game. Fighting just adds to it.

So a physical sport needs fighting?

Are you saying attendance would go down if fighting was eliminated? If it is such an integral part of the game, why are there penalties? Why not set it up like checking. Some forms of checking are allowed and others are not. As long as the two players agree, and they are at center ice for the best fan views, and both players have dropped the gloves, there isn't any penalty? Maybe allow two fights a period. Only if one team is down two or more goals.

To sell the game the NHL would have a mission statement like this:

The NHL strives to bring the best in combining skating, passing, checking, deft stick work, and fighting.

I think the choreographing was lacking here.

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) Vancouver Canucks star Todd Bertuzzi pleaded guilty to assault, more than nine months after slugging Colorado's Steve Moore in the head from behind during a game.

Bertuzzi, who faced a maximum of 18 months in prison, was given a conditional discharge Wednesday, the sentence prosecutor Garth Loeppky recommended after Bertuzzi agreed to plead guilty.

Bertuzzi received a year's probation in which he is not allowed to play in a game against Moore, who was hospitalized with three fractured vertebrae, facial cuts, post-concussion symptoms and amnesia after the March 8 hit.

Edited by Texsox

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 09:35 AM)
So a physical sport needs fighting?

Are you saying attendance would go down if fighting was eliminated? If it is such an integral part of the game, why are there penalties? Why not set it up like checking. Some forms of checking are allowed and others are not. As long as the two players agree, and they are at center ice for the best fan views, and both players have dropped the gloves, there isn't any penalty? Maybe allow two fights a period. Only if one team is down two or more goals.

To sell the game the NHL would have a mission statement like this:

The NHL strives to bring the best in combining skating, passing, checking, deft stick work, and fighting.

I think the choreographing was lacking here.

Hockey doesn't need fighting.

Hockey LIKES fighting, because (IMO) too many fans like fighting.

Hockey would adjust and survive just fine without the fighting - hell, it might even thrive with the one or two extra actual hockey players each team could replace the goons with.

I am completely bored with fighting. I've seen too many games that spin out of control with these "choreographed dances". Fights interfere with what I pay my money to see.

As for the boxing comparison, at least with boxing you're not given the pretense of any other type of competition. It's not like boxers stop fighting to shoot pucks at targets.