Chicago based Amtrak hits truck-sized boulder

southsider2k5

Trains rule man. It amazes me when you hear about terrible train accidents, and then they come back with a "4 people were treated and released, no other injuries reported". You would think we as a race would see how safe that form of transportation is, and actually use it more than what we do. It is also the existence of trains that makes me say "phooey" to the whole plabnes being the safest form of travel. Yeah...right.

My favorite thing about the train is you can spend almost the entire trip not even in your seat. You can walk around, stretch your legs, even grab a bite to eat or some coffee.

The only downside is the damn thing is always late. However if your not in a hurry it totally kicks planes and busses asses...

Edited by Jeckle2000

Wow, scary. I just took Amtrak to get to NY this morning...

Although, here's my crappy train story. I took the train home on Christmas Eve/23rd. Outside of Rochester the train in front of us hit a vehicle and killed someone in it (read: 3 hour delay). Then it was really bitterly cold that day so the switches on the track couldn't switch over and it wasn't safe to move much. Overall, it was 8 hours late....

But hey, Amtrak is dirt cheap and you get what you pay for I guess...

Forgot my funny amtrak story from yesterday. So, reaffirming my belief that Amtrak serves as the travel choice for the clinically insane...

At Union waiting to leave there was this white kid with half dreds (half in dreds, have in a nasty mat). He's pacing around the terminal waiting for the train (my train) and singing reggae at the TOP of his lungs. Like totally singing. He is also wearing a HUGE necklace that looks like oversized rosary beads. No one told him to sit down or be quiet or anything...I guess he had been doing that since he got there at 4:30 (3 and a half hours later he gets on the train).

Also, I was talking with this guy who (story of my life) seemed totally normal at first. Then he started talking about how sad it was for all of these minorities (his word was, uh, less refined). Because God is Arayan and we arayans are his chosen ones. Which is sad because look at how cute the kids are, and what great hear that guy has. But since the Lord is vengeful and arayan there was no hope for them. Glad I didn't have to sit by him....

The thing about Amtrak that bothers me...

It could be a half hour train ride or a cross country trip, but every train I get on always has a bunch of Amish looking people on it. I mean it's like they have nothing better to do then take the train (although come to think of it I guess they don't.)

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jan 12, 2005 -> 08:15 PM)
The thing about Amtrak that bothers me...

It could be a half hour train ride or a cross country trip, but every train I get on always has a bunch of Amish looking people on it. I mean it's like they have nothing better to do then take the train (although come to think of it I guess they don't.)

Do yourself a favor and read up on the Amish :bang