OMG Baseball Bat Abortion

Texsox

http://www.detnews.com/2005/metro/0501/05/A01-50709.htm

:crying

RICHMOND TOWNSHIP - Macomb County Prosecutor Eric Smith said his hands were tied when it came time to decide whom to charge in the baseball bat beating death of a fetus being carried by a teenage girl.

He decided Tuesday to do the only thing one state statute allowed: charge the boyfriend who wielded the bat, hitting his girlfriend in the stomach repeatedly over a two-week period, but let the girl off the hook, uncharged.

The Richmond Township boy, 16, who may be arraigned as early as today in Macomb County Juvenile Court, is at home with his parents. He was charged as a juvenile with intentional conduct against a pregnancy or stillbirth, which is a felony. If convicted, he could remain in custody until age 21.

But the girl, also from Richmond - who was a willing participant in the induced abortion, law enforcement officials say - cannot be charged under that law because it specifically excludes the mother from criminal liability.

More at link. I am speechless, this is so sad.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 09:43 PM)
They need to change the law and make an example out of her. Either way she is going to rot in hell.

Why just her and not the other millions upon millions that have had had legal abortions? Legal does not equal morally correct.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jan 13, 2005 -> 09:43 PM)
They need to change the law and make an example out of her. Either way she is going to rot in hell.

One of the cornerstones of our justice system is we do not make laws retroactive. Interesting that you have to be a Doctor to kill a fetus. You have to go to medical school and take an oath to do no harm, then you can kill a fetus. If you are unskilled, it's a crime. I guess it's a crime to do it poorly and ineffectvly.

If instead she decided to sky-dive, ride in the rodeo, etc. would that be a crime?

QUOTE(mreye @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 10:59 AM)
Or smoke? Or drink?

The courts have already decided that smoking and drinking are ok :banghead illegal drugs are not. :)

This is a tough ethics quagmire, that I cannot sort out. It is easier to take a black and white approach, and perhaps that is why we have so much division on abortion. Any sort of in-between approach seems hypocritical at some level.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 11:31 AM)
The courts have already decided that smoking and drinking are ok  :banghead illegal drugs are not.  :)

This is a tough ethics quagmire, that I cannot sort out. It is easier to take a black and white approach, and perhaps that is why we have so much division on abortion. Any sort of in-between approach seems hypocritical at some level.

I have no issues with abortion in cases of rape and incest ( a morning after pill can deal with that easily ) or in order to save the life of the mother. My issue is with people who use abortion as a last-ditch effort at contraception. That's wrong in my view.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 11:36 AM)
I have no issues with abortion in cases of rape and incest ( a morning after pill can deal with that easily ) or in order to save the life of the mother.  My issue is with people who use abortion as a last-ditch effort at contraception.  That's wrong in my view.

I think that is the view of most Americans, and I basically agree with that. The part that gets troubling is why does the fetus of a rape victim have less rights than the fetus of a lust victim? If we turn it to the mother's rights, then the last ditch contraception situation would then be ok, because it is for the mother.

QUOTE(mreye @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 12:08 PM)
I don't believe that way. The fetus has the same rights, IMO, conceived in rape, incest, whatever.

It certainly is a lot cleaner position logically and consistently. Not any murkiness, no wavering. And I respect that. I also think it is very easily justified. One problem the Pro-Choice has in this debate is the polar opposite of that position would be abortion, is OK whenever, for any reason. I don't believe many American's truly believe late term (3rd trimester) abortions are morally justified. So the pro-Choice group has to paint some moving line that no one can agree on.

QUOTE(mreye @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 12:55 PM)
One reason I have Insurance through the Knights of Columbus: They ar the only insurance priovider that covers a baby in the womb.

Just FYI.

I assume that is life insurance and not health insurance you are speaking of. Plenty of health insurance plans cover the baby in the womb.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 02:03 PM)
I assume that is life insurance and not health insurance you are speaking of. Plenty of health insurance plans cover the baby in the womb.

K of C only offers Life. Sorry, I should have made that destinction.

QUOTE(mreye @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
K of C only offers Life. Sorry, I should have made that destinction.

I have a couple K of C policies on my wife. They didn't like my health history and wouldn't cover me. :angry: I thought health might be something they decided to get into.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 02:34 PM)
I have a couple K of C policies on my wife. They didn't like my health history and wouldn't cover me.  :angry:  I thought health might be something they decided to get into.

I asked my rep. He said there's too much risk and the great rates they have on Life would suffer. The membership pretty much voted it down based on that.