Race Card

Controlled Chaos

This guy makes more and more sense everytime I read him. I wonder if his show is this good.

The race card -- 2005

Larry Elder

January 13, 2005

The Democratic Party continues to play the race card for political gain.

The Reverend Jesse Jackson steamed into Ohio, the so-called battleground state that went for Bush, claiming that Ohioans' votes failed to count. "The playing field is uneven," said Jackson. "...We as Americans should not be begging a secretary of state for a fair vote count. We cannot be the home of the thief and the land of the slave."

Remember the claims by John Kerry and others of one million black voters disenfranchised in Florida during the 2000 presidential election? Peter Kirsanow, a black attorney and member of the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights, says the commission's six-month investigation failed to find any evidence of black voter "intimidation." "Not one person was intimidated," says Kirsanow, "[or] had their vote stolen. There was no disenfranchisement . . . no truth to any of those allegations."

According to columnist John Leo, contributing editor at U.S. News and World Report:

If an effort was underway to suppress the black vote, it clearly failed: 900,000 blacks voted in Florida, up 65 percent over the 1996 presidential election. That unexpectedly high total clearly strained the system, put pressure on officials and voters to move along quickly, and kept phone lines clogged when voter verification calls were needed.

P. Diddy, the rapper, music mogul and fashion impresario, spearheaded a "Vote or Die!" voter awareness campaign. Diddy called himself a "disenfranchised voter." "...I'm...a disenfranchised voter," said Diddy, "...because politicians, they just didn't pay attention to us. I call ourselves 'the forgotten ones' -- youth and minority voters. Their campaign trails don't come into our communities unless they go to the churches, and they don't stop and speak to us." Sort of a 21st-century definition of the word "disenfranchisement." Whatever.

Donna Brazile, Al Gore's campaign manager -- and a black woman -- called the Republican Party the party of the "white boys." According to Brazile, "A white boy attitude is, 'I must exclude, denigrate and leave behind.' They don't see it or think about it. It's a culture." (Brazile now serves as an analyst for CNN.)

Samuel L. Jackson is a respected black actor who appeared in more American films than anyone during the 1990s. In April 2000, he appeared on the cover of Architectural Digest, along with Clark Gable, Natalie Wood, William H. Macy, Hedy Lamarr, Marilyn Monroe, Bing Crosby, Doris Day and Claire Danes. Surely the Jackson family celebrated the actor's appearance on the cover, and the glowing inside piece on their lovely home. Wrong. Because Jackson shared the cover with other celebrities, his wife, LaTanya Richardson Jackson, wrote to the magazine and accused it of racism:

"It is with sincere regret that I write to tell you how disappointing it is to see my husband, Samuel L. Jackson, featured in the lower left-hand corner on the cover of your April 2000 issue," wrote Mrs. Jackson. "It seems a very odd and racist placement. In the magazine racks of most establishments you don't see him at all; perhaps that was the point. I hardly think anyone is really more interested in all of the dead people you chose to prominently display . . . ."

More recently, the actor implied racism on the part of the National Basketball Association for severe punishment of athletes involved in the Detroit Pistons/Indiana Pacers' brawl in Michigan:

...t kinda looked like a, you know, black-athlete-beatin'-up-white-fan fight more so than, you know, athletes versus fans.... It looked like it was [a racial element], and I'm sure Commissioner Stern had to defuse that situation, like getting rid of the bad guy. But you can't deprive a guy of makin' a livin' all year, just because he did something like that.

Actor Will Smith blamed racism for the AIDS epidemic. "I firmly believe that it is quite highly possible," said Smith, "that the AIDS virus is the result of genetic warfare testing."

Richard Williams, father of tennis sensations Venus and Serena Williams, also has three stepdaughters -- one is an actress and singer, one is a lawyer, and one, now deceased, attended medical school. His view of America's "race relations"? "In America," says Williams, "black people doesn't really have an opportunity at nothin'. . . . It's kinda bad bein' black in America."

Polls find young blacks less likely to call racism America's No. 1 issue. A Time/CNN poll found 89 percent of black teens consider racism in their own lives to be "a small problem" or "not a problem at all." Twice as many black teens as white believe that "failure to take advantage of available opportunities" is a bigger problem for blacks than discrimination. Polls and focus groups show younger blacks less likely to identify themselves as Democrats, and more likely to support partial privatization of Social Security, school vouchers and the abolition of race-based preferences. This spells trouble for the Democratic Party and its monolithic black vote.

Horrors! The Democrats may have to find another card to play.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)
I saw the words Jesse Jackson and I stopped reading.  That guy plays the race card so often for his own personal gain it's sickening.

LOL! I did the same thing. That name shows up, and I move on. Atleast when Farrakhan was doing stuff, he was entertaining in a scary way. Jackson is just an ass.

If you want to hear a prominent black tell it like it is then listen to Bill Cosby. You're all familiar with his recent speeches, i'm sure, in which he encourages black people to stop blaming "whitey" for all their problems and get their own house in order. That's the message they need to be listening to rather than to blame their troubles on some fictitious racial conspirasy.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
If you want to hear a prominent black tell it like it is then listen to Bill Cosby.  You're all familiar with his recent speeches, i'm sure, in which he encourages black people to stop blaming "whitey" for all their problems and get their own house in order.  That's the message they need to be listening to rather than to blame their troubles on some fictitious racial conspirasy.

One thought:

Would any white person in America want to change places with a Hispanic, Black, Asian, or Middle Easterner? Who has the better career chances? Who can walk through a shopping mall without the clerks getting suspicious? Who can move through a scanner at the airport easier? Who can walk into a Lexus Dealer easier? Who can run for office easier? Who can drive down a street without causing attention?

All in all, we are still a white dominated society.

We have come a long ways, but to believe there isn't much more to go, is wrong. I don't believe in financial restitution for Civil War era crimes, or some of that b.s. I believe many of the approaches we are trying are wrong.

Edited by Texsox

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
If you want to hear a prominent black tell it like it is then listen to Bill Cosby.  You're all familiar with his recent speeches, i'm sure, in which he encourages black people to stop blaming "whitey" for all their problems and get their own house in order.  That's the message they need to be listening to rather than to blame their troubles on some fictitious racial conspirasy.

I like Cosby more and more for doing that everyday. He called out African Americans and they don't like him for it cause they didn't like the truth of the matter.

True, this country has a long way to go but to blame everyone else but yourself is not the way to go. This goes for everyone, not just African Americans/hispanics/ect......

What approaches are these?

[/quote

Affirmative Action for one. Taking school admissions. By funding schools via property taxes we assure that more wealthy (read white) suburbs have better resources and generally better schools. Then after 12 years of unequal schools, we move the finish line so that everyone is "equal" and has equal access to colleges and universities. This does not take into account how well prepared they are. IMHO we need to fix the starting line and the race track and even up the opportunity, not move the finish line.

What approaches are these?

[/quote

Affirmative Action for one. Taking school admissions. By funding schools via property taxes we assure that more wealthy (read white) suburbs have better resources and generally better schools. Then after 12 years of unequal schools, we move the finish line so that everyone is "equal" and has equal access to colleges and universities. This does not take into account how well prepared they are. IMHO we need to fix the starting line and the race track and even up the opportunity, not move the finish line.

I agree that affirmative action, wherever it's practiced, is wrong. I also agree in principle that proprety taxes being used to fund education creates a lopsided playing field but I'm kind of at a loss as to how to remedy that. Seems to me that any other funding formula would create a zero-sum game regarding education dollars.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 11:27 AM)
One thought:

Would any white person in America want to change places with a Hispanic, Black, Asian, or Middle Easterner? Who has the better career chances? Who can walk through a shopping mall without the clerks getting suspicious? Who can move through a scanner at the airport easier? Who can walk into a Lexus Dealer easier? Who can run for office easier? Who can drive down a street without causing attention?

All in all, we are still a white dominated society.

If not a White dominated society, which I suppose is correct, then what's the other option? What constitutes an equal society? What could possibly occur which would change a Lexus Dealer's prejudice, or a neighborhoods misconception of a certain race? Several of the options you listed are impossible to improve. However, if a middle-eastern individual feels he's been unfairly discriminated, there's laws enacted which forbid racial profiling. If a political candidate believes his progress is being held down, then he can seek justice. I agree various approaches to creating an equal society are wrong, but seriously, what approach would be beneficial to everyone?

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 12:10 PM)
I agree that affirmative action, wherever it's practiced, is wrong.  I also agree in principle that proprety taxes being used to fund education creates a lopsided playing field but I'm kind of at a loss as to how to remedy that.  Seems to me that any other funding formula would create a zero-sum game regarding education dollars.

One proposal here in Texas that is being talked about is creating some standard school building plans. Why re-invent school each time a district builds a new building? Have some standard plans and create a statewide building fund to build the schools.

Texas has a Robin Hood program where some schools share their bounty. The money then has to flow through the state.

I've been on the fence with school vouchers for some time. I do not want a program that pulls money out of public schools without pulling students out. I think every taxpayer has an obligation to fund public education. I also wonder what good vouchers are if private schools are allowed to set admission standards. Our public schools are forced to accept any student under 16 years of age. Why place the school at another disadvantage?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 12:32 PM)
If not a White dominated society, which I suppose is correct, then what's the other option? What constitutes an equal society? What could possibly occur which would change a Lexus Dealer's prejudice, or a neighborhoods misconception of a certain race?  Several of the options you listed are impossible to improve. However, if a middle-eastern individual feels he's been unfairly discriminated, there's laws enacted which forbid racial profiling.  If a political candidate believes his progress is being held down, then he can seek justice.  I agree various approaches to creating an equal society are wrong, but seriously, what approach would be beneficial to everyone?

Perhaps nothing but time and a population shift. But one step is for "whitey" to recognize it still isn't a level playing field. Pointing smugly to Bill Cosby and others and thinking society as a whole doesn't have a problem, that it's the minorities fault, isn't going to help. Cosby is right in that there are problems within the black community as well, and they must be addressed. But the rest of society shouldn't see that as an excuse to stop trying and fix theirs.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 02:01 PM)
Perhaps nothing but time and a population shift. But one step is for "whitey" to recognize it still isn't a level playing field. Pointing smugly to Bill Cosby and others and thinking society as a whole doesn't have a problem, that it's the minorities fault, isn't going to help. Cosby is right in that there are problems within the black community as well, and they must be addressed. But the rest of society shouldn't see that as an excuse to stop trying and fix theirs.

I can agree with that. I take Cosby's comment to be critical of the jesse Jacksons more than the black community. The JJs blame "whitey" first. Yes, "whitey" and "society" is a problem, but pointing fingers won't fix anything by itself. Change has to be made within the community in conjunction with "fixing" society.

QUOTE(mreye @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 01:11 PM)
I can agree with that. I take Cosby's comment to be critical of the jesse Jacksons more than the black community. The JJs blame "whitey" first. Yes, "whitey" and "society" is a problem, but pointing fingers won't fix anything by itself. Change has to be made within the community in conjunction with "fixing" society.

That makes sense. I just wonder how much influence these so called "community" leaders really have. Who are the whote community leaders who are influencing me? Dubya? Rushie?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 02:13 PM)
That makes sense. I just wonder how much influence these so called "community" leaders really have. Who are the whote community leaders who are influencing me? Dubya? Rushie?

SS2K5?

While Brian and I are white, we tend to dress in jeans and t-shirts (beat up looking stuff) because it is comfortable. It's fun going into dealerships, high end electronics stores trying to get help. They take one look and don't stop to help.

Going back to when I was 22 and trying to get a new car (first one), my dad went with me to the dealership and the guy kept trying to tell me I couldn't afford the car I was looking at, etc. When I was about to leave he was willing (read: beggin) to sit down and going through financing, figuring he would "show me." When mine and my dad's credit report came back, they were kissing my ass to get me to buy the car.

Going back two years ago, Brian and I were looking at digital cameras at best buy. The people in the department kept walking past us to help other customers (we were just back from the Sox Cubs game still in gear). When we couldn't track someone down, we demanded to see the manager. While he was an asshole, he realized what we were looking to buy and was sweet as sugar suddenly. We wanted to leave, but since we found exactly what we were looking for we just bought it and now rarely shop at that location anymore.

Point you ask? Just cuz you are white doesn't me you can't be discriminated against.

Queen, I agree with what you're saying. But I think it falls into the greater category of profiling, be it racial, gender based, age based or economic. It's unfortunate that it happens at all, but I think that as a middle class white girl I get much less of it than my younger, non-white counter parts. At least I know I can always dress-up to not be discriminated against.

QUOTE(mreye @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 02:11 PM)

Yes because Jesse Jackson never did anything to help the black community apparently.

He is. Nobody.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
Point you ask?  Just cuz you are white doesn't me you can't be discriminated against.

Down here if you look like you are from Mexico, visiting, they roll out the red carpet and pour the champage because they know you are here buying not shopping. If you look "local" you are not a high percentage sale. You are probably shopping around more and might even return something. Salespeople have always profiled :)

QUOTE(winodj @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
Yes because Jesse Jackson never did anything to help the black community apparently.

He is. Nobody.

The only people Jesse Jackson ever helped to get over on the man was his own family..... namely, two of his sons. JJ extorted an Anheiser-Busch distributorship from AB for his sons in exchange for remaining quiet on AB's past record in relation to the hiring of minorities.

JJ is a leach on the ass of the black community and a hypocrite.