Iguchi News

Southside hitmen

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

allright, this may be a stupid point, but what's the time difference in Japan? It's possible that Iguchi is in the middle of the night, and any deal would have to obviously be signed off by him... so KW and his agent may have had a great conversation, but they need to talk to him...

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 06:12 PM)
allright, this may be a stupid point, but what's the time difference in Japan?  It's possible that Iguchi is in the middle of the night, and any deal would have to obviously be signed off by him... so KW and his agent may have had a great conversation, but they need to talk to him...

It is 9:17 AM in Tokyo right now.

QUOTE(Mr. Zero @ Jan 15, 2005 -> 08:49 AM)
One name.

Daisuke Matsuzaka.

Not only would his last name look completely badass on a Sox jersey, he would be an absolute stud.

My thinking is that having 2 Japanese players to relate to would help him come here unless the Yanks or Mariners or Dodgers are hellbent on signing him.

This is the 1 guy I want the Sox to target next off-season if there's a hole in our rotation that needs filling. His numbers in Japan are really quite insane, and a lot of teams will be after him, even though his arm has been used a lot over the last few years.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 06:55 PM)
Hell yeah Daisuke Matsuzaka is exactly who the Sox should be targeting next season. This kid looks to be very special. Unfortunately I think the Sox will have to battle a lot of other teams for this import....

I agree, he will definitely be outbid by the mariners, mets, red sox, yankees, etc.

Rather Have Harris.

1. Harris is Cheaper

2. Harris is Younger

3. Harris is good with the Glove

Ichuchi is older and more expensive and the thing they may have in common is that there unproven. At least Harris comes cheap he fails good bye to him don't lose much. Iguchi fails and were tied up for Millions. I don't think this guy is the Second comming of Ichiro, he may be more like Tsuyoshi Shinjo.

If they sign him and he makes a splash then nice, it would be a help, but i wouldn't bank on it

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 07:32 PM)
Rather Have Harris.

1. Harris is Cheaper

2. Harris is Younger

3. Harris is good with the Glove

Ichuchi is older and more expensive and the thing they may have in common is that there unproven. At least Harris comes cheap he fails good bye to him don't lose much. Iguchi fails and were tied up for Millions. I don't think this guy is the Second comming of Ichiro, he may be more like  Tsuyoshi Shinjo.

If they sign him and he makes a splash then nice, it would be a help, but i wouldn't bank on it

another thing to think about... who is more likely to make "a splash"? and what will our chances be if willie is our starting second baseman. sure iguchi is a risk, but if he does make a splash, we have very good chances of going to an ALCS. that is if everyone does what they should. willie can be solid, but he won't be an impact player like iguchi can be. that's why i like iguchi more than i would have liked cora or other guys like that. we know what we'll get out of them, and it won't be special, we can get something great out of iguchi.

Red Sox interested in Tadahito Iguchi by William Bragg

Fukuoka Daiei Hawks infielder Tadahito Iguchi has generated interest on the part of the Red Sox.

Iguchi appeared in 124 regular-season games and hit over .300 for the second straight year with a .333 batting average along with 24 homers and 89 RBIs.

Richard Moss, the agent of Tadahito Iguchi, is set to begin contract negotiations with the Boston Red Sox, the management company of the former Daiei Hawks infielder said Sunday. Iguchi is a second baseman who also spent time as a shortstop earlier in his career.

According to a company official, Moss is scheduled to meet Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein shortly as the American League team was quick to contact the agent about a possible deal with Iguchi. There is also mention that the Yankees are also interested (of course).

Until today, the White Sox were expected to sign Japanese second baseman Tadahito Iguchi. Now, that agreement has come apart, and the Mariners are listed among suitors for Iguchi, alongside the Red Sox and Yankees. The southsiders were very interested, but are taking a pass.

Word out of Boston is that they’re going to demur as well. The Mariners should, too.

That’s not because Iguchi isn’t intriguing, although I doubt he’ll be an impact player in the states. It’s because they have other needs, and because he’s already rejected a two year, $4 million deal from the Pale Hose. Rumor had it that he was asking for Kazuo Matsui type money (3/$21 million), but even if he’s not, he’s likely to be prohibitively expensive anyway. Iguchi’s deal with the Fukuoka Hawks pays him 240 million yen a year, about $2.3 million. He’s not coming for the states for less than that.

And that’s too much to pay without knowing which version you’re going to get. A converted shortstop (he made the switch before the 2001 season, after he had shoulder surgery), Iguchi’s production has been enigmatic. The past two seasons, he’s experienced a Bret Boone-like late bloom, blowing away his previous numbers.

In his eight seasons in Japan, Iguchi has a career .271 average, .471 SLG and .349 OBP. Compare those numbers to his 2003 and 2004 seasons, which are rolled into the career stats:

Avg OBP SLG 2003 .340 .438 .573 2004 .333 .394 .549Some of the ups and downs can be explained by a shoulder flareup that hampered him in 2002, but that’s also a cause for added concern. The 250 million yen question is about plate discipline: can a guy who posted OBPs of .310, .317, .346, and .317 in four straight years have figured out later in his career how to get on base two out of five times?

Whoever signs Iguchi will be betting on three things: that the last two years are the real Iguchi, not the guy who hit .259/.317/.423 at age 27; that his skills will translate to the U.S.; and that his shoulder stays together.

That’s a lot of ifs for a team that may or not be competitive next year, and I think Bill Bavasi knows that, having signed Pokey Reese. For another team, rolling the dice on Iguchi might make sense, but not this one.

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Jan 14, 2005 -> 09:01 PM)
Red Sox interested in Tadahito Iguchi by William Bragg

Fukuoka Daiei Hawks infielder Tadahito Iguchi has generated interest on the part of the Red Sox.

Iguchi appeared in 124 regular-season games and hit over .300 for the second straight year with a .333 batting average along with 24 homers and 89 RBIs.

Richard Moss, the agent of Tadahito Iguchi, is set to begin contract negotiations with the Boston Red Sox, the management company of the former Daiei Hawks infielder said Sunday. Iguchi is a second baseman who also spent time as a shortstop earlier in his career.

According to a company official, Moss is scheduled to meet Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein shortly as the American League team was quick to contact the agent about a possible deal with Iguchi. There is also mention that the Yankees are also interested (of course).

Until today, the White Sox were expected to sign Japanese second baseman Tadahito Iguchi. Now, that agreement has come apart, and the Mariners are listed among suitors for Iguchi, alongside the Red Sox and Yankees. The southsiders were very interested, but are taking a pass.

Word out of Boston is that they’re going to demur as well. The Mariners should, too.

That’s not because Iguchi isn’t intriguing, although I doubt he’ll be an impact player in the states. It’s because they have other needs, and because he’s already rejected a two year, $4 million deal from the Pale Hose. Rumor had it that he was asking for Kazuo Matsui type money (3/$21 million), but even if he’s not, he’s likely to be prohibitively expensive anyway. Iguchi’s deal with the Fukuoka Hawks pays him 240 million yen a year, about $2.3 million. He’s not coming for the states for less than that.

And that’s too much to pay without knowing which version you’re going to get. A converted shortstop (he made the switch before the 2001 season, after he had shoulder surgery), Iguchi’s production has been enigmatic. The past two seasons, he’s experienced a Bret Boone-like late bloom, blowing away his previous numbers.

In his eight seasons in Japan, Iguchi has a career .271 average, .471 SLG and .349 OBP. Compare those numbers to his 2003 and 2004 seasons, which are rolled into the career stats:

Avg OBP SLG 2003 .340 .438 .573 2004 .333 .394 .549Some of the ups and downs can be explained by a shoulder flareup that hampered him in 2002, but that’s also a cause for added concern. The 250 million yen question is about plate discipline: can a guy who posted OBPs of .310, .317, .346, and .317 in four straight years have figured out later in his career how to get on base two out of five times?

Whoever signs Iguchi will be betting on three things: that the last two years are the real Iguchi, not the guy who hit .259/.317/.423 at age 27; that his skills will translate to the U.S.; and that his shoulder stays together.

That’s a lot of ifs for a team that may or not be competitive next year, and I think Bill Bavasi knows that, having signed Pokey Reese. For another team, rolling the dice on Iguchi might make sense, but not this one.

Upnorthsox:

Stop the bs. This is December 05, 2004 article. This is old news!

I'm sold on the park dimensions article. Sign him. Look at it from the CWS perspective. Koch was a bust. You spend 6M on him. You were able to get something in return. Clayton was a bust. You spend 20M on him.

It's been KW's nature to roll the dice on potential for the bigger prize.

It's yet to work, but you can't fault him for trying. I think the odds of Igs reaching that potential are about the same as him being below average.

Even if he hits 250 as long as he's consistent month to month that's an improvement over Harris. The team can ill afford players hitting near 200 2 months out of 6 this year.

The odds of Igs failing so bad that no one will want him are very remote.

Even at 10/3 as long as he's near average the CWS should be able to get something for him if they should move him. He will be moveable. That's almost a guarantee.

So when you consider it from the ups & downs even at 10/3 it's a low risk.

Now let's look at the upside.

Rowand hopes to steal 30 bases. Fat chance. He's never done that.

I'll put him down for 25. Igs has average 40 the past 2 yrs. I'll give him 35. Pods has averaged a remarkable 55 over the past 2 yrs. I'll put him down for 60. Betw those 3 alone that's 135. Wow! Dye, AJ, Koney, Frank, Crede, Uribe are probably good for another 20-30 so we might very well have 160 SB's next yr. I'll play it safe & say 150. That's nearly double what we had in 2004.

More importantly we are probably looking at an OBP avg of 340 in front of Thomas. With Rowand's stellar report of Frank that's going to be a nightmare for other teams to contend with. Speedy guys with decent OBP on ahead of Frank. Add Frank's 400+ OBP & the table is set for Koney.

Just tell him every time Frank's on 1B, whatever you do avoid the GIDP.

In the 5th spot I'm going with Rowand. It fits the speed angle.

If Koney gets on you want the next guy to have enough speed to avoid

the DP. That would be Rowand or Uribe. I'll take Rowand.

1-Pods

2-Igs

3-Thomas

4-Koney

5-Rowand

6-Dye

7-Uribe

8-AJ

9-Crede

That might be the best mix of speed & power in all of MLB.

The biggest GIDP threats are Koney after Thomas & Crede after AJ.

QUOTE(Cali @ Jan 15, 2005 -> 11:38 PM)
Hmm there was a "Sox Sign Iguchi" thread on the page that dissapeared quite fast.

I assume it was because of faulty info.

Mods working overtime tonight.

Besides the article; which had no mention of Iguichi, I realized something was amiss when I clicked on a link which said I was "13th person to be slapped around with a large trout." Soxnet chat humor, right there. :lol:

I read on another board that Iguchi website has a link to the Whitesox does that mean he is close to signing.. I cant verify this because I cant seem to open up his site..

Also at Sox fest a friend told me that Ozzie mention we have 2 cubans players as well as 2 Japanesse players on the team during the seminar is this also true.. Could Ozzie had slip and gave us some insight