Iguchi News

Southside hitmen

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Willie seemed to be the story of SoxFest.

Somebody at our table asked Bill Melton what was wrong with Willie Harris.

Bill said "He's Willie Harris".

Interesting.

Maybe the Harris fans on this board should read between the lines on everything Sox personnel are saying about Harris. We've now heard knocks from Guillen, Dave Wills, Bill Melton, Hawk, DJ ... anyone else I'm missing?

Surely all of them aren't wrong.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
Bag Willie all you want about his stealing ability and rightfully so, but he shouldn't be criticized for his On Base Percentage, especially compared to others on this team.

Harris - .343 OBP

Podsednik - .313 OBP

Perez (just for Gene) - .285 OBP

The conversation is about his dumb comment of stealing 65 bases. There are very few except the people on this board who like this guy. This board falls in love with players. He is a second rate player who everyone here seems to think he will be some sort of allstar. The Sox continue to try to find replacements and make comments as if he should be replaced. Harris needs to be humble and do what the coaches say. He is not a leader, he is not even a full time major leaguer and he is making statements like he will lead the league in Stolen bases. Its nuts. He should shut his piehole and learn to play ball.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 04:17 PM)
After listening to Hawk and Ozzie slam him right in front of his face, I am glad to still see he has some confidence left.  They could be crushing this kid, they need to be building him up instead.

Willie also said he would run down Michigan Ave naked if he hit .325 next season. Then he bummed a smoke right after.

Then he bummed a smoke right after.

Unbelievable.

I had heard he quit, I thought maybe from Steff, not certain.

Yup ... it's a lot easier to run with all that smoke in your lungs, huh Willie?

(Doing my best quickman impersonation), Is he nuts, or what?!?

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 05:13 PM)
Unbelievable.

I had heard he quit, I thought maybe from Steff, not certain.

Yup ... it's a lot easier to run with all that smoke in your lungs, huh Willie?

(Doing my best quickman impersonation), Is he nuts, or what?!?

Anytime you want to check your email

Smoking is noted to be bad for one's health, in particular one's lung capacity.

If he were performing to his (self stated) capabilities I would have less problem with a health risk habit which arguably deprives him somewhat of his best asset ... running fast.

He's not performing to the best of his self stated abilities, therefore IMO he should kick the habit.

Also confirms for me he's not that bright. He's an athlete ... eat well, take good care of yourself, chances are great you'll perform better.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 06:22 PM)
Smoking is noted to be bad for one's health, in particular one's lung capacity.

If he were performing to his (self stated) capabilities I would have less problem with a health risk habit which arguably deprives him somewhat of his best asset ... running fast.

He's not performing to the best of his self stated abilities, therefore IMO he should kick the habit.

Also confirms for me he's not that bright.  He's an athlete ... eat well, take good care of yourself, chances are great you'll perform better.

Adam and Dr. Drew have actually brought this up before on Loveline... Adam pointing out that athletes use to smoke all the time back in the day. Dr. Drew (who is a board certified physician) said that any noticable effects from smoking on lung capacity takes many years to develop, so it probably isn't really an effect on Willie.

However, I do agree that it doesn't portray the best image and mind set...

QUOTE(quickman @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 04:56 PM)
The conversation is about his dumb comment of stealing 65 bases. There are very few except the people on this board who like this guy. This board falls in love with players. He is a second rate player who everyone here seems to think he will be some sort of allstar. The Sox continue to try to find replacements and make comments as if he should be replaced. Harris needs to be humble and do what the coaches say. He is not a leader, he is not even a full time major leaguer and he is making statements like he will lead the league in Stolen bases. Its nuts. He should shut his piehole and learn to play ball.

No, people don't think he's gonna be an all-star.

But when you bring up a name like Alex Cora (yeah, I know he's signed), who does the exact same thing as Harris, only Harris is younger, I/we feel that Harris is a better option because a.), he's cheaper, and b.), I/we feel he'll improve upon his .343 OBP/19 steals, which isn't terrible to begin with...

Yes, Iguchi is an upgrade. But don't tell me that Cora would have been, because that's totally untrue...

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 02:08 PM)
Cora did not hit under 200 2 months out of 6.  That's the problem with Harris.  He has a couple of horrible months.  Not just bad.

You only have one full season worth of months to select from. It's hard to reach a certain level of consistency when you're thrust into a role you're not ready for, and then the coaching staff gives up on you. Everyone complains about his cockiness, but that leaves with maturity. Let the kid get a chance to mature, let the kid get a chance to play in a role where he doesn't have as much pressure on him. He has loads of potential, and he's going to put up good numbers this year. There's going to be alot of eating crow after this season is over.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 06:48 PM)
No, people don't think he's gonna be an all-star.

But when you bring up a name like Alex Cora (yeah, I know he's signed), who does the exact same thing as Harris, only Harris is younger, I/we feel that Harris is a better option because a.), he's cheaper, and b.), I/we feel he'll improve upon his .343 OBP/19 steals, which isn't terrible to begin with...

Yes, Iguchi is an upgrade.  But don't tell me that Cora would have been, because that's totally untrue...

I don't think the Sox got Cora. Right? right. The sox continue to try to find a 2nd baseman despite all the willie Harris fans around here. He is obviously not wanted on this team. We may end up being stuck with him, but sox brass appears to not like him. i will take there word over any stats you can produce. I will tkae my own eyes watching every game, over the fantasy of teenagers who think he is great. There is something that is not right with this guy. If he were to have a huge upside I don't think the sox would be looking at all ends of the earth to replace him. Nuff said

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 08:23 PM)
You only have one full season worth of months to select from.  It's hard to reach a certain level of consistency when you're thrust into a role you're not ready for, and then the coaching staff gives up on you.  Everyone complains about his cockiness, but that leaves with maturity.  Let the kid get a chance to mature, let the kid get a chance to play in a role where he doesn't have as much pressure on him.  He has loads of potential, and he's going to put up good numbers this year.  There's going to be alot of eating crow after this season is over.

Then the crows will need to be changing cities, because this guy will not finish the year as the Sox second baseman. No way.

Then the crows will need to be changing cities,

As the crow flies?

Easy lightning, put down the caffiene.

Uribe at SS, and Valdez backing him up, all while going for a pennant? Doesn't compute. There will still be a shakeup with this infield, lots of time b/4 spring training starts.

BTW, 72 and sunny in Tucson today.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 08:44 PM)
As the crow flies?

Easy lightning, put down the caffiene.

Uribe at SS, and Valdez backing him up, all while going for a pennant?  Doesn't compute.  There will still be a shakeup with this infield, lots of time b/4 spring training starts.

BTW, 72 and sunny in Tucson today.

Jim there is no doubt in my mind we will either pick up a SS or second baseman. We will go nowhere with this infield.

Jim there is no doubt in my mind we will either pick up a SS or second baseman. We will go nowhere with this infield.

A veteran, at least one.

No way do they retool the whole team, dump a bunch of money into pitching, get a good catcher ... and leave both the middle infield positions to relative inexperience.

It does not make sense at any level.

KW supposedly said at SoxFest that getting a guy who can back up at SS is key. I believe that to be in addition to the 2B situation. That's why I've been saying two guys for the past few weeks.

Whether that leaves Harris on the outside looking in, who knows.

There are still some intriguing possibilities out there, and likely more come spring.

I have a good friend who is japaneese read Tadahito website for  me. He says in the news section that Tadahito and his agent will be coming to the United States to talk contract  to a certain team the site doesnt mention what team it  will be visiting for a few days..

Good info, thank your friend for us.

My guess? The Chicago White Sox. Reinsdorf wouldn't have said 50/50 unless he felt it would happen.

Reinsdorf in the hospital today ... angioplasty.

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 10:07 PM)
I have a good friend who is japaneese read Tadahito website for  me. He says in the news section that Tadahito and his agent will be coming to the United States to talk contract  to a certain team the site doesnt mention what team it  will be visiting for a few days..

Please provide the link. i know someone that can read jap. I would like to understnad it better.