A-ROW: Frank's "busting his hump"

Al Lopez Ghost (old)

This is from Saturday's Daily Herald:

"Rowand, who lives near Thomas during the offseason, put the injured slugger in touch with his personal trainer, Tim Soder.

"Frank is out there busting his hump" Rowand said. "He's working out 5 days a week and he's got a gym in his house now. I was just there."

Late last month, Thomas had his cast removed and he's now wearing a walking boot. While there is a chance he'll be ready to go by Opening Day, Ozzie Guillen still isn't planning on seeing Thomas in the lineup until June. "I don't want to say Frank's gonna be ready for Opening Day and then not have him" Guillen said. "That's why I've been saying June. But hopefully, he'll be ready as soon as possible. I haven't seen Frank or talked to the doctors or Herm. Right now he's not in my lineup."

Rowand said "I don't know if he'll be ready for the start of the season but h e'll definitely be back. A lot of people arae counting him out, but I think he really wants to come back and let everybody know he's still around."

I think most people are "preparing for the worst, expecting the best" w/ regards to Frank. Healthy, no doubt Frank makes the sox a 1st class, upper tier hitting team. Yet w/o him the Sox could be an avg hitting team.

It's good to hear Arow's in contact w/ Frank. It's a far cry from last offseason when Arow reportedly ran into Frank and talked to him for like 5 min. because he didn't want to bug Frank. That Arow is hanging out at Frank's house [at least he's been there] says a lot. The team may really be closer after one season w/ Ozzie.

I'm expecting great things from Frank.

No pessimism allowed!!!

Whenever he rejoins the team, be it Opening Day or mid-June, he WILL provide a shot in the arm for the Sox offense!

Number 35 IS the most dominant offensive force ever to wear a White Sox uniform and let's not forget that this is a contract year for him - if he has a bad season, that could be it for him. Motivation? I'd say so.

What scares me most is that KW might not offer him a contract at the end of year. Regardless of how he does this coming season I want the Big Hurt to retire in a White Sox Uniform.

My biggest nightmare is that he'll go to some other team for the last 2 or 3 years of his career and then join the Hall of Fame with that team and not ours... :(

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jan 15, 2005 -> 02:10 PM)
What scares me most is that KW might not offer him a contract at the end of year. Regardless of how he does this coming season I want the Big Hurt to retire in a White Sox Uniform.

My biggest nightmare is that he'll go to some other team for the last 2 or 3 years of his career and then join the Hall of Fame with that team and not ours... :(

If that were to happen, oh my.................

First Fisk, Then Frank? :crying

Prediction: Somehow, blood will go bad and Frank will enter the hall with a Washington Senators hat on.

Somehow Jay Mariotti will be involved. It's really all part of the Sport Marty conspiracy.

Honestly, though, I think Frank is gonna have a solid year. I'd like to see him get resigned with a contract that will have him start to move into a off the playing field position with the White Sox, keeping him IN the family after he retires.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jan 15, 2005 -> 08:10 AM)
I'm expecting great things from Frank.

No pessimism allowed!!!

When has Frank ever been healthy and not done great things? Aside from maybe 1998 and 2002 when he didn't have that great of a year (still averaged 29 HR and 100 RBI in those "down years" with about a .370 OBP), he's put up very solid numbers to say the least.

Expect Frank to come back looking to prove his doubters wrong yet again. He did it in 2000, and he's fixing to do it again in 2005.

:notworthy Frank :notworthy

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jan 15, 2005 -> 12:10 PM)

The HOF decides what team a player goes in with. After all the great numbers Frank has put up in a White Sox uniform, there is a 0% chance that he'll go into the Hall wearing anything but a White Sox cap.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jan 15, 2005 -> 12:10 PM)

The HOF decides what team a player goes in with. After all the great numbers Frank has put up in a White Sox uniform, there is a 0% chance that he'll go into the Hall wearing anything but a White Sox cap.

I think the real question here is, "Why would anyone not think that the Big Hurt is busting his hump getting ready to play in 2005?" Frank Thomas is a professional with a burning desire to win. I think he felt we were going to do it last year, but with injuries to himself and Magglio coupled with the meltdown of our closer and #5 starters it was just too much to overcome. Frank wants that ring and will be busting his hump to get ready. I hope he can prove the naysayers wrong and be in the lineup at opening day.

If not for injury, Frank would be coming up on 550 HR in 2005 instead of 450. I hope he can have 3-4 more highly productive years, because I'd love to see him top 550 and get up in the 575 range. That would be very awesome - especially if it's all done in a White Sox uniform. :wub: