The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Wise Master Buehrle

Don't know much about the book, but apparently they've been trying to make a movie of it for twenty some odd years, with stars like Jim Carrey, Dan Aykroyd, and Bill Murray considered for roles in the movie and directors like Jay Roach and SPike Jonze.

Sounds kind of interesting though.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 16, 2005 -> 08:02 AM)
It's hard to film parody and sarcastic humor correctly and make any money.

Mel Brooks is about the only one who can pull it off.

"Somebody's gotta go back and get a s***load of dimes"

Mel Brroks = comedic genious.

• 1 month later...

I think that this moving is similar to "The Lord of the Rings" where attempts have been made to make it over the years (including a real cheesy looking BBC special that was actually made) but the technology wasn't sufficient to get it done. Now I think they are at the point where they can get it done.

I'm looking forawrd to it, haven't read the books in awhile, but they are clever and funny... should be good times

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Feb 19, 2005 -> 12:32 PM)
where attempts have been made to make it over the years (including a real cheesy looking BBC special that was actually made) but the technology wasn't sufficient to get it done.

I thought the BBC television series adaptation was great in all it's cheesiness. I think one of Zaphod's heads was even made of papier machete if I'm remembering right. :D

But the thing is that the BBC television adaptation was a more similar animal to the original than the books. Hitch Hiker's started out as a BBC radio series first in 1977, and after the success of two series' Douglas Adams then wrote the book versions. So as far as translation to the big screen in a big-budget film, they can lose a lot of the nuance and cleverness of the book narrative and still get a spontaneous delivery that is faithful to the spirit fo the original productions.

I hope the film version blows me away. but I'm afraid the visual effects in general might be too good. The radio play, the books ("a five part trilogy"), and the television serial are all so tongue-in-cheek, I think it will be somewhat jarring if the visual effects are not also.

Still, I'll boldly predict the critics will love and give it 42 stars. :)