Guillen shapes new-look White Sox in his image

greasywheels121

http://www.suntimes.com/output/deluca/cst-spt-deluca16.htm

I love this quote...

''There is only one catcher in the league [ivan Rodriguez of the Detroit Tigers] who can throw anybody out consistently,'' Guillen said. ''We will be running.''

Guillen shapes new-look White Sox in his image

BY CHRIS DE LUCA STAFF REPORTER Advertisement

Crumpling up your lineup card and starting over is nothing new, but it's always tough to take. Just ask fans in Oakland still shocked about the splitting up of the Athletics' Big Three of Tim Hudson, Mark Mulder and Barry Zito.

When the White Sox returned to Square One this winter, trading a well-worn formula of power hitters punishing the ball in favorable surroundings for pitching, speed and defense, it left a lot of us scratching our heads.

Manager Ozzie Guillen just laughs at the surprised looks.

''Crazy moves, huh?'' Guillen said with that famous smile. ''We hit a lot of home runs, but so what? We finished second last year. Our pitching wasn't as good as it is now. Last year, it seemed like most of our home runs were solo home runs, and our pitchers were giving up three-run home runs. We had no leadoff hitter, no speed, we had a lot of holes to fill.''

Power-hitting outfielders Magglio Ordonez and Carlos Lee are gone, as is veteran shortstop Jose Valentin. Speedy outfielder Scott Podsednik will lead off for an offense that will have a constant green light to run.

''There is only one catcher in the league [ivan Rodriguez of the Detroit Tigers] who can throw anybody out consistently,'' Guillen said. ''We will be running.''

General manager Ken Williams gets the heat for the power outage, but this is the team Ozzie built. After one season watching Sox baseball, Guillen was ready to turn the channel or change the formula. He went to his bosses -- Williams and chairman Jerry Reinsdorf -- and pleaded for change.

Guillen has a new starting rotation (Opening Day starter Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia, Orlando Hernandez, Jose Contreras and Jon Garland) that is topped only by the New York Yankees' starting five. The bullpen is deeper, and Guillen promises the defense will be better. Did we mention the Sox will be running more?

''This is the team you win with -- pitching, defense and speed,'' Guillen said. ''There are only two teams that can just beat the crap out of you every day -- the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox. Everybody else has to play baseball.''

One thing Guillen's new-look team won't have in 2005 is a me-first attitude that has held back the Sox in recent years.

''Last year, I was blind,'' Guillen said. ''Everything sounded great, but I didn't have an opportunity to see what I actually had. For me, it's easier to go to spring training knowing what you have. Last year, it was, 'Rah, rah, good thing we have Ozzie.' This year, forget all that rah-rah stuff. We are focused on winning the division from the first day.''

Well, anyone that was at Soxfest this weekend knows the positive buzz about the team this year. Things feel really right in Sox camp.

I think Ozzie matured as a manager after his first year, he's realizing it takes more than HR to win the AL Central, and he's focused on utilizing the strengths of the New Look White Sox (namely, speed, pitching, and defense).

I'm really confident in the dynamic of the current club and I think this team could beat anybody on any given day.

I haven't felt this good about an up-coming season in years.

The whole issue of losing the power in Maggs and Lee is such a moot point with the way the ballpark is built. If the Sox had a guy that averaged 2 or 3 homeruns a year he would hit 10-15 being at the cell, no doubt. The power will be there no matter who is in the line-up.

I'm getting concerned with Ozzie. I think he's going to break this team.

I don't agree with him on his lineup nor do I agree with him on his use of El-Duque. Cooper agrees with me.

His lineup: Pods, Uribe, Dye, Koney, Everett, Rowand, AJ, Crede, Harris

Rowand out hit Uribe, Dye, & Everett last yr. So wtf?

Rowand should be #2, & Uribe #6.

His rotation: Buerhle, Garcia, Hernandez, Contreras, Garland

Cooper says he wants to maximize the off-days to skip starts for Hernandez. Ozzie completely ignores that. So I guess the 24 yr old will be sittling on the bench & the 39 yr old being the work horse. Dumb.

Hernandez should be skipped whenever possible.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 16, 2005 -> 12:51 PM)
I'm getting concerned with Ozzie.  I think he's going to break this team.

I don't agree with him on his lineup nor do I agree with him on his use of El-Duque.  Cooper agrees with me.

His lineup: Pods, Uribe, Dye, Koney, Everett, Rowand, AJ, Crede, Harris

Rowand out hit Uribe, Dye, & Everett last yr.  So wtf?

Rowand should be #2, & Uribe #6.

His rotation: Buerhle, Garcia, Hernandez, Contreras, Garland

Cooper says he wants to maximize the off-days to skip starts for Hernandez. Ozzie completely ignores that.  So I guess the 24 yr old will be sittling on the bench & the 39 yr old being the work horse.  Dumb.

Hernandez should be skipped whenever possible.

Eh, I don't disagree with it simply because Uribe is better at putting a bunt down than Rowand. No doubt Rowand is the better hitter, but Uribe is better at what Ozzie's trying to do at the top of the order. I also like the rotation. Hernandez will have games skipped still. Just not off the bat. I don't know what's wrong with that. And the plan is to have Buehrle, Freddy and El Duque having the most oppurtunities against the Twins.

Eh, I don't disagree with it simply because Uribe is better at putting a bunt down than Rowand. No doubt Rowand is the better hitter, but Uribe is better at what Ozzie's trying to do at the top of the order. I also like the rotation. Hernandez will have games skipped still. Just not off the bat. I don't know what's wrong with that. And the plan is to have Buehrle, Freddy and El Duque having the most oppurtunities against the Twins.

Walks only matter in relation to OBP.

OBP Uribe 327, Rowand 361.

SLG Uribe 506, Rowand 544.

BAV Uribe 283, Rowand 310.

The choice is obvious.

Cooper is the pitching coach. He felt that it would be better to use the off days to rest Hernandez. Give him more time off between starts & less starts than the other 4. Cooper's had a lot of experience with pitcher's injuries. Ozzie hasn't. I think Cooper is the better voice on the subject. The risk is quite large. If Ozzie pushes the 39yr old too hard too fast we could lose him for good in the 2nd half. Cooper's plan tries to avoid that.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 16, 2005 -> 02:04 PM)

The choice is obvious.

Yeah, I agree #2 is the best spot for rowand in the order.

Ozzie could put rowand at #3 and i'd be ok with it. It would allow him to drive in more runs.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 16, 2005 -> 02:04 PM)

The choice is obvious.

Cooper is the pitching coach.  He felt that it would be better to use the off days to rest Hernandez.  Give him more time off between starts & less starts than the other 4.  Cooper's had a lot of experience with pitcher's injuries.  Ozzie hasn't.  I think Cooper is the better voice on the subject.  The risk is quite large.  If Ozzie pushes the 39yr old too hard too fast we could lose him for good in the 2nd half.  Cooper's plan tries to avoid that.

Ok, but I wasn't talking about walks. I was talking about bunts, seems as if you tottally disregarded my argument. I say he would is better at bunting and probably a little faster than Rowand, but Rowand is the better hitter.

Also, you failed to pay attention to the fact that I said El Duque will still probably have skipped starts being in the 3rd slot. Plus the fact that it has been noted that he's in the best shape of his career may play a role. I rather have El Duque at 3 than Contreras or Garland there. El Duque will still have days off, he'll still have time in between starts so I don't know what the problem is. He's the 3rd best pitcher on this staff. His numbers prove that.

I believe Ozzie will listen to Cooper as far as the pitching staff goes. That's Cooper's area of expertise, not Ozzie's. To back that up, I refer to Ozzie's remark that he will "talk to his coaches" in regards to who will play left or center. i don't think Ozzie is stupid enough to think he's the smartest there is in all areas of the game.

As for Rowand hitting 2 or 6 ... I think this is just what the thinking is at this point. Let's let them go through spring training, and let them put the pieces of the puzzle into what they think is the right place before we start condemning anyone.

I like Rowand in the #2 but some people don't agree that Rowand is a #2 hitter. I like Uribe up there. Another guy can can run fast, and has good base instints. Rowand is good at the bottom. He can get on for AJ, Crede, or even Harris to drive him in. He can use his speed for the bottom and he'll prob. get on more since he is a good hitter. But I don't like using stats for one season to see who is a better choise. If ARow hit .270 with an obp of .300, I don't think we would be having this discussion. Uribe also. If he would have went down to .250 .300, ditto for him. But I like what Ozzie is trying to do. Like he says he makes the line-ups not you. So just look at it in that aspect and move on.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 16, 2005 -> 08:27 PM)
let them put the pieces of the puzzle into what they think is the right place  before we start condemning anyone.

i am a sox fan and i do not wear blinders and i have an opinion. some may not like what i say but oh well. i normal admit when i am or was wrong.

here is mine opinion. i am not too sold on this yr team. granted and i can see how ozzie wants to turn the team around and i respect that. he is going with what he knows.

i am not sold on the pitching and i want to asked this, should kw head rolled esp if the team doesn't perform as thought?

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jan 16, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
I like Rowand in the #2 but some people don't agree that Rowand is a #2 hitter. I like Uribe up there. Another guy can can run fast, and has good base instints. Rowand is good at the bottom. He can get on for AJ, Crede, or even Harris to drive him in. He can use his speed for the bottom and he'll prob. get on more since he is a good hitter. But I don't like using stats for one season to see who is a better choise. If ARow hit .270 with an obp of .300, I don't think we would be having this discussion. Uribe also. If he would have went down to .250 .300, ditto for him. But I like what Ozzie is trying to do. Like he says he makes the line-ups not you. So just look at it in that aspect and move on.

Oh no. Soxtalk will never accept Ozzie's lineup just because he's the manager. If he f***s up, we'll be all over him like stink on s***. :lol:

The difference in bunts & speed betw Rowand & Uribe is not large enough to make up for the difference in OBP & BA. Rowand is the obvious choice for #2.

As for Ozzie's comments he makes no mention of using El Duque sparingly.

If you look at the schedule & you pencil him in as a strict #3 there are few ops for him to get more than 4 days rest or skipped starts. That's why Cooper's plan of skipping El Duque starts around off days is the better plan.

QUOTE(LDF @ Jan 16, 2005 -> 02:37 PM)
isn't that what is called a fair wx fan??? cheer when people thinks it is going good and jump on them when the going gets bad.

:chair

returning the fair wx fan comment.

No. That's called being a demanding fan. You can b**** all you want and hold their feet to the fire. You just have to be a Sox fan first and foremost.

I just can't buy the Uribe #2 argument. He has accomplished less over his career than Rowand has. Neither of them have had great back-to-back seasons. Aaron has a goal of hitting 30HR/stealing 30 bases. He'd have a better chance of meeting that goal in the #2 spot.

Moving him to the #3 until Frank returns is not a bad move either.

Pods, Uribe, Rowand, Koney, Dye, Everett, AJ, Crede, Harris.

The only problem with it is that all of your speed lies betw 9-3. Dye's the only avg runner in 4-8. The rest are all below average.

As for the rotation with OH as a #3 they have the ability to skip one of his starts in the first month. Using him as a #4 or #5 to start with they can skip two of his starts.

i think i read somewhere even though El Duque will be in the 3 spot he will be given the most off days and only in the 3 spot to get the best matchups possible..... as for the lineup.. Ozzie likes guys that can bunt and Uribe can i think its as simple as that... Uribe also is what 25 a lot of people i hear saying it was a career year and stuff like that... he is 25 damnit you dont have your career year when your 24.. he should get better and if he struggles he will be moved.

i think i read somewhere even though El Duque will be in the 3 spot he will be given the most off days and only in the 3 spot to get the best matchups possible..... as for the lineup.. Ozzie likes guys that can bunt and Uribe can i think its as simple as that... Uribe also is what 25 a lot of people i hear saying it was a career year and stuff like that... he is 25 damnit you dont have your career year when your 24.. he should get better and if he struggles he will be moved.

Again with the bunts :rolly Ok. Lay it on us. What % of Uribe's bats were bunts?

Because I'm giving up a guy who's OBP & BA are 10% higher than Uribe's. I'm not knocking Uribe. I'm simply saying Rowand has earned a spot better than #6.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 16, 2005 -> 01:11 PM)
Eh, I don't disagree with it simply because Uribe is better at putting a bunt down than Rowand.

we need rowand to help us hit at the bottom of the order, and i think people are forgetting that small ball teams dont put power hitters at the number two spot, the marlins had castillo there lets remember

I'm fine with Uribe at number 2, but I would like to see Rowand 3 or 5 then. Rowand would be in a better spot to drive in runs. Something to keep in mind, with Pods on first, Uribe is bound to see a lot of fastballs, something he's proven he can pound. Plus the fact that he can bunt pretty well.