Extreme Makeover: Home Edition

Rex Hudler

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 16, 2005 -> 10:44 PM)
Did anyone see this show tonight?  They rebuilt the home of a former Cal State Fullerton Basketball player Rodney Anderson, who was shot in a case of mistaken identity. 

It was a pretty moving story.

A moving story it was. It's always good to see something good happen for a family like that. Having the two house idea was pretty cool, having his own house so he could have one for him and his now wife.

Yeah this is a really good show. I watch it every Sunday. I don't even bother watching the Simpons at 7 anymore because I really like this show. It's great to see good things like that happen on tv. And now that the show is getting more popular they have more money to do even greater things.

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 09:04 PM)
Nevermind, tonights episode was a behind the scenes look at what they did. It's truly amazing watching that show and really appreciating what you have.

It really is. Everytime I watch the show it gets me thinking and wanting to go out and do good things. Every Sunday night the whole family gets together and watches it. It's one of the few times we are all together at once during the week.

I never watch the show, because it's reality crap. But how bad can these peoples lives be? The OWN a home. That's not a easy accomplishment. How bout Extreme Makeover Apartment Edition. You take the $$$ you would have used to renovate a house, and give it to a family that's stuck in a s***ty apartment and they get to use it as a down payment for their own house.

QUOTE(Cali @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 01:13 AM)
I never watch the show, because it's reality crap. But how bad can these peoples lives be? The OWN a home. That's not a easy accomplishment. How bout Extreme Makeover Apartment Edition. You take the $$$ you would have used to renovate a house, and give it to a family that's stuck in a s***ty apartment and they get to use it as a down payment for their own house.

I'll tell ya how bad:

They remade a house one time for 7 children that lost both their parents within 9 months. The oldest was like 20 or something and was taking care of all the others. Yeah, they own the house, which was 3 bedrooms and 1 bath, but it was going to hell. They came in and fixed the house and got the kids scholarships, IIRC.

How's that apartment now?

QUOTE(Cali @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 06:13 AM)

Sorry, but that may have been the dumbest post I have seen on here. Watch the show a few times and you will see how bad things can get.

How about the one where the single lady adopted the three little girls with AIDS, and then last year she herself was diagnosed with cancer. Man, that was the toughest one to watch, but in the end the mortgage was paid off for them. Amazing show. My only complaint is sometimes the crew seems to be playing the emotion card a bit for the camera. It feels forced emotion wise from Ty and gang. I know that they are all sincere, but I just wish the camera wouldn't hover when Preston or Paul break down every time.

But in a sea of violence, sex, crime shows, and a glorification of debauchery, it's nice to see one show that has a heart and obviously cares about people.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 11:31 AM)
How about the one where the single lady adopted the three little girls with AIDS, and then last year she herself was diagnosed with cancer. Man, that was the toughest one to watch, but in the end the mortgage was paid off for them. Amazing show. My only complaint is sometimes the crew seems to be playing the emotion card a bit for the camera. It feels forced emotion wise from Ty and gang. I know that they are all sincere, but I just wish the camera wouldn't hover when Preston or Paul break down every time.

But in a sea of violence, sex, crime shows, and a glorification of debauchery, it's nice to see one show that has a heart and obviously cares about people.

I swear, I frickin' ball my eyes out every week! :crying

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 05:56 AM)
Sorry, but that may have been the dumbest post I have seen on here.  Watch the show a few times and you will see how bad things can get.

Well I'm glad I could provide it.

And no, since all reality TV is s***, and I prefer not to "feed the beast" I will not watch it a few times or ever.

I did like this one a lot. It was a shame what happened to him.. especially since he was someone that was doing everything in his power to go against the stereotype of the neighborhood. One of my favorites was the one of the woman who made her home into a shelter for battered women and abused kids. And the one with the family who's parents were both deaf and their one son is autistic and the older son was going to have to forgo college to take care of them. That one brought on the tears.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)
I did like this one a lot. It was a shame what happened to him.. especially since he was someone that was doing everything in his power to go against the stereotype of the neighborhood. One of my favorites was the one of the woman who made her home into a shelter for battered women and abused kids. And the one with the family who's parents were both deaf and their one son is autistic and the older son was going to have to forgo college to take care of them. That one brought on the tears.

I was saying to my wife this week....remember when this show first came on....it was just about them remodeling a house and doing cool stuff....Now they get ya all teary eyed every week. It's an emotional roller coaster.....

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 03:26 PM)
I was saying to my wife this week....remember when this show first came on....it was just about them remodeling a house and doing cool stuff....Now they get ya all teary eyed every week.  It's an emotional roller coaster.....

I didn't watch it at the start. Too much like Trading Spaces. Bla. Now I watch because they make it a point to go find these people who are honestly doing all they can, working harder than they should be, to just try to survive.. many times helping others before heping themselves with the $$ they do make. I don't really call it a reality show. While there are some definite theatrics involved.. the people, their problems, and the help they get is real. And it changes their lives as a family. They aren't out on the talkshows the next day.

I agree. I think it is one of the, if not the best show on TV right now. I feel like a big baby every week when my eyes start to well up. Haven't gotten to the point of tears yet, but seem to be on the brink every week.

The only thing I would have done differently last week is not rebuild there. Get them some land somewhere else rather than build two nicely decorated homes in the middle of East Central LA. I mean the guy got shot less than a block away. Just wonder if they will have any problems with living in that area with a house full of plasmas and nice stuff.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 06:37 PM)
I agree.  I think it is one of the, if not the best show on TV right now.  I feel like a big baby every week when my eyes start to well up.  Haven't gotten to the point of tears yet, but seem to be on the brink every week.

The only thing I would have done differently last week is not rebuild there.  Get them some land somewhere else rather than build two nicely decorated homes in the middle of East Central LA.  I mean the guy got shot less than a block away.  Just wonder if they will have any problems with living in that area with a house full of plasmas and nice stuff.

Yeah I was wondering the same thing about having that nice of a house in that area. I didn't see any sort of security system being put in. :huh

It looks like next weeks episode is going to be really special. In the ad for it, that episode alone won a golden globe or some award IIRC. I may be mistaken and the award might have just been for the show itself, I'm not sure. Either way, it should be a good show this Sunday.