Happy MLK day, Coon.

Gene Honda Civic

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...1420EST0052.DTL

A weekend television weatherman was fired after he made an on-air racial slur about Martin Luther King Jr., station officials said.

Rob Blair of KTNV-TV was delivering the extended forecast Saturday morning when he said: "For tomorrow, 60 degrees, Martin Luther Coon King Jr. Day, gonna see some temperatures in the mid-60s."

Jim Prather, vice president and general manager of the ABC affiliate, said Blair stumbled but the excuse was not enough to save his job.

"This kind of incident is not acceptable under any circumstances, and I'm truly sorry that this event occurred," Prather told the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

Blair apologized during the station's 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. Saturday newscasts.

"On a weather report earlier this morning, I made an accidental slip of the tongue when talking about the Martin Luther King holiday, and what I said was interpreted by many viewers as highly offensive. For that I offer my deepest apology. I in no way intended to offend anyone. I'm very sorry."

Blair worked at the station for about three months. He declined comment Monday when contacted by The Associated Press through a friend.

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

Every MLK day all I can think of is Chris Rocks bit about how he stood for non-violence, but if you're of Martin Luther King Blvd. anywhere in the country there's some violence going on. So funny, because it's so true.

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 12:32 AM)
How does that slip out...it doesn't even flow with the sentence.  WTF.  Can you say....dumbass!!!

Worst possible situation for a Freudian slip to surface. :bang

I'm not certain how weatherman broadcast the news, but I have to believe they read forecasts off a teleprompter. Which only dampers his credibility.

Guarantee this won't stop him from finding another position somewhere in the South.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 01:43 AM)
Guarantee this won't stop him from finding another position somewhere in the South.

Yeah, because EVERYONE in the south are racist pigs. :headshake

You're no better than him now. Congratulations.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 12:43 AM)

I'm not certain how weatherman broadcast the news, but I have to believe they read forecasts off a teleprompter.  Which only dampers his credibility. 

You know what? You're a God Damn hypocrit. :fyou

I'm not certain how weatherman broadcast the news, but I have to believe they read forecasts off a teleprompter.  Which only dampers his credibility. 

:headshake That is almost as offensive as the weatherman's slip. I join YAS in offering a :fyou

QUOTE(Cali @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 12:40 AM)
Every MLK day all I can think of is Chris Rocks bit about how he stood for non-violence, but if you're of Martin Luther King Blvd. anywhere in the country there's some violence going on. So funny, because it's so true.

Thats always the first thing that comes to mind for me when I hear MLK.

Hey man, car broke down I'm on MLK. RUNN!!! RUNN!!!

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 06:43 AM)

Weathermen don't reada forecasts off a teleprompter, they are ad-libbed. Slip or not, he needs to take responsibility for his actions. As for getting a job in the south... :fyou ...I live in the South.

He'll be unemployed for a year or two. He might find a super small market job in a couple years if he got chops, and he's willing to work for peanuts.

That's the nature of the business. The truth is someone in Podunk Minnesota isn't going to remember what a part time TV weatherman said in Vegas a few months from now.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 09:13 AM)
:headshake That is almost as offensive as the weatherman's slip. I join YAS in offering a  :fyou

Well, send me to hell for inadvertingly offending several members.

I meant the comment in jest, but if you feel necessary its to cry about it; fine.

QUOTE(Cali @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 12:40 AM)

:lolhitting :lolhitting

I always think of "Martin Luther King" from Coming to America.

Well, um, that...and all the positive strides the man made as a civil rights leader.

Although that wasnt the smartest of statements I dont think some of you should be bashing him.. because hes prolly right.

While not everyone down here is racist to simply deny the fact that MANY are is pointless.. I have a ton of friends that are racists, and pretty much just because they are from the south.

I dont agree with his comment but you have to realize that in a way he is right

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 10:56 AM)
The guy knew EXACTLY what he was saying.  C'mon, it slipped out?  Even if it did, how did it get in his head in the 1st place?

Just a guess.. Maybe Daniel Carver from Howard Stern Show fame. He calls MLK "Martin Lucifer Coon". I've never heard that anywhere but there.

Ona note about the south, in Southern Iowa my mother and I went into a gas station where they were selling 9-packs of beer. How was this possible? By cutting an 18-pack in half and securing the sides with duct tape, of course.

Just sayin' of course, but we don't have anything like that up north here.

QUOTE(Man Of Steel @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 11:18 AM)
Although that wasnt the smartest of statements I dont think some of you should be bashing him.. because hes prolly right.

While not everyone down here is racist to simply deny the fact that MANY are is pointless.. I have a ton of friends that are racists, and pretty much just because they are from the south.

I dont agree with his comment but you have to realize that in a way he is right

To single out the south as being more or less racist is ignorant at best and insulting at worst. The guy has just a good of chance getting a job in Boston or Chicago as Houston or Atlanta.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 11:32 AM)
To single out the south as being more or less racist is ignorant at best and insulting at worst. The guy has just a good of chance getting a job in Boston or Chicago as Houston or Atlanta.

Yes I agree with you on that part that it is unsulting to southerners, I was just saying that there are quite a few racist people in the south..

I wasnt trying to make what he said right, I was just saying that its there

QUOTE(Man Of Steel @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 11:33 AM)
Yes I agree with you on that part that it is unsulting to southerners, I was just saying that there are quite a few racist people in the south..

I wasnt trying to make what he said right, I was just saying that its there

Of course there are racist people in the south, but we don't hold a monopoly on racism. Race relations are a problem everywhere, even in Palos Heights. I imagine being a black man is as difficult in Green Bay, Fargo, and Salt Lake City as it is in any southern town.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
Of course there are racist people in the south, but we don't hold a monopoly on racism. Race relations are a problem everywhere, even in Palos Heights. I imagine being a black man is as difficult in Green Bay, Fargo, and Salt Lake City as it is in any southern town.

Right on!

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)

Yeah I didnt mean it to sound like we are the most racist place in the world I was just saying that it came off that everyone was offended by what he said like racism in the south is unheard of..

My bad if i caused confusion :P

QUOTE(Man Of Steel @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 03:25 PM)
Yeah I didnt mean it to sound like we are the most racist place in the world I was just saying that it came off that everyone was offended by what he said like racism in the south is unheard of..

My bad if i caused confusion  :P

The reason it was offensive is because it was prejudicial. The remark insinuated that all southerners were racists. Prejudice is prejudice no matter the target.

And Flash ... Inflammatory remarks in an attempt at humor is on the same level as telling a blatantly racist joke.