Illinois Drops Test Subjects

HuskyCaucasian

I'm in secondary education (student teaching next school year at this time) and NCLB is such a pain in the ass. It doesn't do anything to benefit schools -- it was just a reactionary "We're getting tough on schools" move by people who have no clue what they are doing regarding education since they never stepped foot in a classroom as a teacher or administrator.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 05:14 PM)
Did you all hear the subjects that are being dropped from State Exams? Social Studies, Health, Writing.... ect. Yea, that no child left behind act is doing great. In order to get money the state has to drop "less important" topics in order to consentrate more on Math. Nice Job Mr. Bush!

I think they should "consentrate" more on spelling. :o :P

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 06:31 PM)
I'm in secondary education (student teaching next school year at this time) and NCLB is such a pain in the ass.  It doesn't do anything to benefit schools -- it was just a reactionary "We're getting tough on schools" move by people who have no clue what they are doing regarding education since they never stepped foot in a classroom as a teacher or administrator.

You clearly don't get the idea behind No Child Left Behind. If we drop out enough of the core curriculum and spoonfeed a nation of functionally illiterate kids and just let them matriculate through the system and not be bothered really making sure they are learning... well then, no child has been left behind, right? ;)

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 07:00 PM)
You clearly don't get the idea behind No Child Left Behind.  If we drop out enough of the core curriculum and spoonfeed a nation of functionally illiterate kids and just let them matriculate through the system and not be bothered really making sure they are learning... well then, no child has been left behind, right?  ;)

I took an Industrial/Organization Psychology class last year--and one of the profs (and the textbook) said that 1/4 of the American workforce is functionally illiterate. That number is staggering but not really shocking. Our educational system is totally in shambles--I don't just blame this administration--it's been going down hill for too long to just blame current administration. I don't know how to fix it, but I hope something changes soon...

well, in my opinion, at leats with chicago, it should be broken down into many more districts, each special to the environment and place of the school, and nationally, i think there should be a larger federal oversee-er of different regions, i think the special attention of breaking it down is at least a start to recognize the real need areas.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 05:31 PM)
I'm in secondary education (student teaching next school year at this time) and NCLB is such a pain in the ass.  It doesn't do anything to benefit schools -- it was just a reactionary "We're getting tough on schools" move by people who have no clue what they are doing regarding education since they never stepped foot in a classroom as a teacher or administrator.

I disagree with you on some issues but I'm right with you on this one. It's another futile attempt to upgrade education, and it's also not very conservative, which seems to be lost on many Bush supporters. First liberals and now conservatives have conspired to mangle public education in this country. I'll be interested to see how you like teaching. I tried it as a middle aged change of pace and didn't care for it at all. My dislike of the system and not young people was responsible for most of that.