5th starter

santo=dorf

Who do you consider as the "fifth starter"  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you consider as the "fifth starter"

• "El Duque"
    • Jose Contreras
    • Jon Garland

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 19, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
If that means that off days cause someone to miss a start, I don't agree with that on 1/19/05. That could change, but I would rest our #3 or #4 before Garland. Which I guess by definition makes Garland a 3-4

But here's the thing, should the Sox bother skipping starts on off days? The Cubs didn't skipped over Matt Clement last season (until he got hurt in September.) Ozzie mentioned somewhere that Buehrle and Garcia were going to pitch under 200 innings this year because he wanted them to be ready for a potential playoff start. Guillen was talking about using his bullpen more (I believe the Sox were second to last in IP by Bullpen last season,) but Buehrle and Garcia could cut down on the number of innings they pitch by marching out the #5 starter every 5 games (as opposed to every fifth day, and if there isn't a game on the fifth day, he doesn't start.)

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jan 19, 2005 -> 01:13 PM)
IMO Jose needs to be the #5. At least Garland is fairly consistant with what he gives us. With Jose he's either dominating and throwing a shut out or he's giving up 10 runs. No real middle ground. Plus lord only knows how old he really is.

Ahhhhh, yes. Because age is the most important statistic for a pitcher.

Guillen has already said its Garland. El Duque has a clean bill of health according to the brass and incentive clauses, one of which is based on appearing in the All-Star game. If Contreras can't win for the Sox he'll be as as bad off as Loaiza is now .He'll get every opportunity to show his stuff. That leaves Garland at #5.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 19, 2005 -> 11:15 AM)
EDIT: Hey, MoS, what did Knuckle do to get banned?  Come to think of it, it has been Knuckle-free lately hasn't it.  Banning a 4 year old...shame on you. :D  :lol:

I dont know what he did but its my job to make fun of him

I agree with Cooper that the Sox should use the off-days to skip starts & stretch off days for El Duque.

Living in the land of Oz, in Apr:

Mark vs CLE, MIN, SEA, DET, OAK

Fred vs CLE(2), SEA, KCR, OAK

El-D vs CLE(2), MIN, KCR, DET

Jose vs MIN(2), CLE, KCR, DET

JonG vs MIN, SEA, DET, OAK

Who makes these schedules? MIN has 2 great off days. If they skip their 5th, they can bring Santana, Radke at us on the 9th, 10th & then can bring Santana at us again on the 19th.

If the Sox take advantage of their off days to skip starts then we could match Mark vs Santana on the 19th. But then Jose faces OAK.

I understand what you're saying, but don't you think there are different expectations of guys depening on their spot in the rotation? For some guys, maybe that pressure affects their performance. I'm not a huge fan of Girland, but I do feel better about him being our #5.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 19, 2005 -> 05:45 PM)
I don't think there is any more or any less pressure on Garland from #3, #4, or #5. He walks out of the dugout and takes the mound, he's got to pitch.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 18, 2005 -> 10:05 PM)
I say Garland is the number 5, and Contreras is #4 but I would start Contreras on the 3rd game of the season because of how well he pitched against the Indians last season, and Orlando "Big Game pitcher" Hernandez should start the first game of the Twins series.

:bringit

i agree with you totally :headbang