Pet's served for lunch at school

Texsox

Pet store animals cooked in school

Fri Jan 21 2005 08:35:35 ET

A Guinea pig and rabbit purchased from a Geauga County pet store ended up on plates at a Cleveland area high school.

A 16-year-old student skinned and cooked the animals during a living skills class on Wednesday, prompting student and parent complaints to the Thompson Township Police Department and Geauga Humane Society. Officials at both agencies said they are investigating.

Friday editions of the CLEVELAND PLAIN DEALER detail how the incident may warrant animal cruelty charges.

Geauga Humane Officer Sarah Westman said it's illegal to needlessly kill "companion animals" raised for domestic purposes.

"Something irrational and wrong happened," Westman explained.

Ledgemont Principal Beto Gage acknowledged that "misjudgments" took place but said the boy's actions are far from criminal.

The student - whose name was not released - described what he did in terms of harvesting meat to fix a dish for classmates, Gage said.

The principal described the boy as an active hunter. The Ledgemont district covers the rural communities of Montville and Thompson townships, where killing - and then eating - wild game is fairly common.

The hunt, however, usually doesn't take place at Pet Supplies Plus.

The boy went to the Chardon store and purchased the Guinea pig and rabbit after coming up empty in the great outdoors.

"My skin's crawling over this," said Linda Schempp, a spokeswoman for the pet store chain. "We sell our animals to be family pets - not food."

Developing...

Hey, he at least tried to shoot something first . . .

The pet store should have been tipped off when he said he was looking for a rabbit that would feed 12. Now there is a season on rabbits in most states, and I have had rabbit stew at German and Czeck restaurants. Now that I own a pet rabbit, I would have a hard time eating one. But that charming Guinea pig is more of a rat, and there is no way I would knowingly eat a Guinea pig.

QUOTE(winodj @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 03:15 PM)
My Grandmother used to make it alot. It was my dad's favorite. I always preferred when she made horse.

Hopefully you're referring to heroin. :P

I'm quite sure I've eaten horse at many fine street corner vendor stands. But that's why I always get the "beef". I hear the "chicken" is really rat.

QUOTE(winodj @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
The bones freak me out because they are so jagged and unlike chicken bones.

I had horse a couple times. When my father was growing up piss poor in France it was the meat the poor people could afford. Now its a delicacy.

It's actually quite good. And good for you too.

I am no longer worried about the French taking over the world.

Ooops, check that. I still am not worried about the French taking over the world.