This one is in for a rude awakening in a few years

Steff

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 08:04 AM)
YASNY,

I agree with the summer reading program stuff, but the science, math, and other subjects I have a problem with. If the program is going to really work, the teachers have to be available as well. Whether it is once a week, via email, via phone, or whatever, the rest of the puzzle needs to be there as well.

The problem comes from the fact that the "traditions" of our school were established back when we were an agricultural society. Those summer "vacations" were needed so the kids could work on the farms. Of course, that agriculural society is a 100 years behind us and we have yet to adjust.

Other schools have summer holidays as well, and the average summer vacation isn't nearly as long as it used to be. When I was in first grade school would end around Memorial Day and start after Labor Day. By my senior year, we started three weeks earlier and ended two weeks later.

The problem isn't adding time to the school year, its giving students the tools they need to learn and creating a culture of education. Something we haven't done in a long, long time.

QUOTE(winodj @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 10:14 AM)
Other schools have summer holidays as well, and the average summer vacation isn't nearly as long as it used to be. When I was in first grade school would end around Memorial Day and start after Labor Day. By my senior year, we started three weeks earlier and ended two weeks later.

The problem isn't adding time to the school year, its giving students the tools they need to learn and creating a culture of education. Something we haven't done in a long, long time.

I don't not disagree. It's just that this is one of the many issues that need to be addressed.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 21, 2005 -> 09:00 PM)
As a parent who has seen this every summer for the last few years, I hope he wins.

If the teachers want to make these assignments, then their ass better be available for help when the students need it. Of course they aren't. If the schools cannot teach the full curriculm in the normal school year, then there is a problem.

Instead, last summer I listened to my daughter stress for two months that her 8th grade  year was already ruined before it started because she couldn't complete an assignment.

I agree, Tex. Giving a list of books to read for the summer on rainy days is cool, but Calculus? Come on!

Edited by mreye

All egotistical individualists please leave. I sick & tired of hearing this crap.

You are nothing but a burden to the system. You are nothing but a burden to the tax payers. If you do not believe in democracy go to Europe or better yet to China.

Democracy means majority rule. The school board represents the majority in that district. You as an individual have a right to be heard by the school district. That is where your power & influence ends.

The only way this crap is going to end is if national & state congresses pass nuisance laws that costs these egotists $ when they place a burden on the courts with their frivolous suits. These same congresses should decide what constitutes a frivolous suit.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
All egotistical individualists please leave.  I sick & tired of hearing this crap.

You are nothing but a burden to the system.  You are nothing but a burden to the tax payers.  If you do not believe in democracy go to Europe or better yet to China. 

Democracy means majority rule.  The school board represents the majority in that district.  You as an individual have a right to be heard by the school district.  That is where your power & influence ends.

The only way this crap is going to end is if national & state congresses pass nuisance laws that costs these egotists $ when they place a burden on the courts with their frivolous suits. These same congresses should decide what constitutes a frivolous suit.

So out of curiousity, are you willing to put your self where your mouth is? Are you willing to stand up to a Soxtalk test of democracy?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 09:31 PM)
So out of curiousity, are you willing to put your self where your mouth is?  Are you willing to stand up to a Soxtalk test of democracy?

Please, please please! ;)

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
All egotistical individualists please leave.  I sick & tired of hearing this crap.

You are nothing but a burden to the system.  You are nothing but a burden to the tax payers.  If you do not believe in democracy go to Europe or better yet to China. 

Democracy means majority rule.  The school board represents the majority in that district.  You as an individual have a right to be heard by the school district.  That is where your power & influence ends.

There are laws on the books to address frivolous suits and attorneys can face disciplinary actions for bringing suits without merit.

We have an extensive legal system because we have so many rights that need protection. Plus, there are checks and balances throughout our legal and judicial system. For example if a school board's policies are illegal, the courts are the place to go, not Europe. I would be surprised if this didn't start with the School itself and move up from there.

If all suits could be decided on their merits before trial, we wouldn't need courts, attorneys, and judges. Putting a system of punishments in place to penalize the losing side goes against our freedoms and impedes justice, not enhances.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 08:48 AM)
After grade school, the school year should be year round, with 2 weeks vacation. Get them ready for the real world. We see a lot of recent College grads and all they do is b**** and moan about work and staying late or putting in Saturdays.

How would we pay for year round school? In Texas, when it's 104 outside, do you expect the schools to just open windows? Would you ask teachers to work the additional time without an increase in pay? Would each grade level last one year? With an extra 2-3 months per year, we would add 24-36 months of instruction, what else would you teach in the extra 2 1/2 to 3 1/3 "traditional school years" of instruction? Instead of the current 12 years of education, the equivelent would be 15 to 16 years of instruction.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 09:54 AM)
How would we pay for year round school? In Texas, when it's 104 outside, do you expect the schools to just open windows? Would you ask teachers to work the additional time without an increase in pay? Would each grade level last one year? With an extra 2-3 months per year, we would add 24-36 months of instruction, what else would you teach in the extra 2 1/2 to 3 1/3 "traditional school years" of instruction? Instead of the current 12 years of education, the equivelent would be 15 to 16 years of instruction.

I would teach them how to make change without a cash register. Frickin' morons!

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 08:54 AM)

Damn liberal teacher! ... Joking! .... I would be all for paying teachers more for their time and even more to get more of our quality individuals to consider teaching as a viable career option. We talk all the time about the importance of education, yet we pay our teachers s***.

BUT!!!!! ... I think they should have to earn their money. Tenure should be a thing of the past. Results should translate into salary and job security. Nothing more, nothing less.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
Damn liberal teacher! ... Joking! .... I would be all for paying teachers more for their time and even more to get more of our quality individuals to consider teaching as a viable career option.  We talk all the time about the importance of education, yet we pay our teachers s***. 

BUT!!!!! ... I think they should have to earn their money.  Tenure should be a thing of the past.  Results should translate into salary and job security.  Nothing more, nothing less.

I agree, now how would you judge results? Standardized tests? Grades? Pass/Fail?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 01:46 PM)
I agree, now how would you judge results? Standardized tests? Grades? Pass/Fail?

Good question. The first thing I would do is to change the philosophy of our educational system. No more pushing kids through to where they can't read their high school diploma. There has to be be some standardized guidelines, but let each school district implement their own methods of achieving those guidelines and proving they are doing do. In other words, you hear the term "6th grade math", referring to level of acheivement. Define what 6th grade math should be, gradually raise the standards yearly until every 6th grader can pass a final exam showing he can perform at a grade 6 level. It's not something that could be done overnight, but we are going backwards now. It's time to reverse the trend.