Tadahito Iguchi Signed

chisox2334

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 12:02 PM)
Am I the only one who doesn't want to see Uribe in the two spot?  He's more of an RBI/HR guy, not really good for OBP/contact.  I'd much rather have Rowand hitting there, but maybe that's just me...

Honestly I have always thought that both Rowand and Uribe are terrible #2 hitters. If we came to camp without Iguchi, I would have rather seen Willie hit #2 or have Rowand lead off with SPod hitting #2.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly I have always thought that both Rowand and Uribe are terrible #2 hitters.  If we came to camp without Iguchi, I would have rather seen Willie hit #2 or have Rowand lead off with SPod hitting #2.

Rowand wasn't a good #2 hitter because he couldn't bunt. He practiced his bunting alot at the end of last season and this offseason because he was embarrassed by his failure to be able to lay down a bunt.

While bunting ability is a nice tool to have, the ability to take pitches, hit behind the runner and to hit run are every bit as much a part of the equation of a number 2 hitter. I think too much emphasis is put on bunting ability around here ... especially for an AL club.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
While bunting ability is a nice tool to have, the ability to take pitches, hit behind the runner and to hit run are every bit as much a part of the equation of a number 2 hitter.  I think too much emphasis is put on bunting ability around here ... especially for an AL club.

Agreed

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
While bunting ability is a nice tool to have, the ability to take pitches, hit behind the runner and to hit run are every bit as much a part of the equation of a number 2 hitter.  I think too much emphasis is put on bunting ability around here ... especially for an AL club.

Yes in theory, but in reality we have a manager who knows how to run a certian system, and if his players can't execute it, it makes Ozzie's abilities as a manager much more limited.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
Rowand wasn't a good #2 hitter because he couldn't bunt.  He practiced his bunting alot at the end of last season and this offseason because he was embarrassed by his failure to be able to lay down a bunt.

If Aaron comes into camp and has the bunt down, and works on a good inside out swing to use the hole between 1st and 2nd, then I have no problem with him in the two hole, or anyone else who can do that for that matter. Just what I saw of Aaron, he would be a much better #3 or #7 or even leadoff, hitter.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)
If Aaron comes into camp and has the bunt down, and works on a good inside out swing to use the hole between 1st and 2nd, then I have no problem with him in the two hole, or anyone else who can do that for that matter.  Just what I saw of Aaron, he would be a much better #3 or #7 or even leadoff,  hitter.

I agree with you. Yet, Rowand would be better at #2 than most of the Sox hitters. It would diminish his overall value, but he could do the job.

This is a really good move. And no, Iguchi shouldn't be in the 2 hole out of the gate, give the guy time to adjust to the majors without having tons of pressure on him. Kind of like the Sox gave Shingo time to adjust.

It may not happen right away and I think the Sox are best sticking with Iguchi in the 9 slot and going with Uribe in the 2 hole. Then you have Rowand (a better run producer then Uribe, imo) in a run production slot.

Great offseason Kenny :cheers

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 12:46 PM)
This is a really good move.  And no, Iguchi shouldn't be in the 2 hole out of the gate, give the guy time to adjust to the majors without having tons of pressure on him.  Kind of like the Sox gave Shingo time to adjust.

It may not happen right away and I think the Sox are best sticking with Iguchi in the 9 slot and going with Uribe in the 2 hole.  Then you have Rowand (a better run producer then Uribe, imo) in a run production slot. 

Great offseason Kenny :cheers

I don't see how anyone can rule out Iguchi for number 2 at this point. It's a Sox need and if he shows the skills in ST, give him the shot at filling the need.

http://home.kyodo.co.jp/all/news.jsp?news=sports&an= - Let's not forget this link for the future as we continue to build our asian street sox. :D

Well now we can pc the two together. 5.85 - 4.6 would suggest he's got 1.25M in related incentive bonuses.

It's a good move on both KW & Iguchi's part. If he reaches those incentives he'll earn more than he would in Japan. If he doesn't he'll earn slightly less. More importantly if he reaches those incentives he sets the table for himself w endorsements. Much more than he could hope to earn in Japan in that respect.

I am still cautiously optimistic though because his SB #'s were down in 04.

That's indicative of his 02 season were again he was suffering shoulder problems. The good news is that he really bounced back in 03 so maybe he will do the same in 05.

I agree #2 is his spot to lose. The numbers are just :ph34r:! A healthy Pods + Iggy

= 110 SB's. That's 32 more than the entire Sox team in 04. All from 2 guys!

No matter how you slice or dice this, a below average Iggy is better than an average Harris. Now I can go attack the Castillo threads again :D

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 02:02 PM)
Dude ... you need to change that to Samarai Sox!  :lol:

I thought about it, since that is a Samurai helmet in the background.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
Kick ass Knight :headbang

Thank you.

I don't usually make em for myself.

In fact, I could still hand this one off in the future.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
I thought about it, since that is a Samurai helmet in the background.

Thank you.

I don't usually make em for myself.

In fact, I could still hand this one off in the future.

That's cool. But you need to get rid of that WWII era Japanese flag.

per rotoworld.com

Kyodo News is reporting that Tadahito Iguchi will sign a two-year deal with the White Sox.

Iguchi will earn $2.3 million per season plus incentives, according to the report. He won't necessarily be handed the starting job at second base over Willie Harris, but he does figure to be an upgrade for the White Sox. Jan. 24 - 2:11 pm et

Source: Kyodo News