Tadahito Iguchi Signed

chisox2334

Holy s***... I just came from school and man am I f***ing excited! Every single day since Soxfest I’d wonder whether we get Iguchi or not. I even told my little 7-year-old brother about him and he had no f***ing clue who I was talking about. Doesn’t matter because I’ve seen his stats and believe that he can do well here in the States.

Kenny Williams, thank you. Thanks a lot. Here's to you... :cheers :cheers

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 02:35 PM)
and he's going to the best hitter's park in the American League.  That will probably help some of the Japan-US decline.

BB, I'm honestly just curious here, is that an opinion, or is that using statistics? I've seen on baseballreference.com where it noted The Ballpark at Arlington as a better hitter's park then USCF last year(USCF had a 107 batter rating, 106 pitcher rating, while the Ballpark at Arlington had a 111 batter rating, 109 pitcher rating).

Given, I am not very educated on that topic, don't know how much the home offense affects that, don't know how the team's pitching staff affects that...I am just seeing 111-109 to 107-107.

Given, both are very good hitter's parks regardless...and I do think your numbers are very reasonable.

In the end, I really do like the signing. We are almost fortunate that San Francisco gave Vizquel that 3rd year, otherwise we would have likely had no shot at Iguchi.

This is very much a medium-risk, high-reward signing..and is a very good signing. I would almost say don't be surprised if Harris is dealt...but that would be a poor choice, having no idea what Iguchi will do in the MLB.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 03:08 PM)
I'm on the record that a Harris/Valdez/Uribe triple platoon at 2B/SS would be cheaper, better defensively, and probably produce at the same rate as Iguchi at second.

Well of course, you're comparing 3 guys covering 2 positions to one guy at second. :unsure:

I think Iguchi at second AND Uribe at short will produce more than the platoon you listed above.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 03:14 PM)
BB, I'm honestly just curious here, is that an opinion, or is that using statistics?  I've seen on baseballreference.com where it noted The Ballpark at Arlington as a better hitter's park then USCF last year(USCF had a 107 batter rating, 106 pitcher rating, while the Ballpark at Arlington had a 111 batter rating, 109 pitcher rating). 

Given, I am not very educated on that topic, don't know how much the home offense affects that, don't know how the team's pitching staff affects that...I am just seeing 111-109 to 107-107.

Given, both are very good hitter's parks regardless...and I do think your numbers are very reasonable.

In the end, I really do like the signing.  We are almost fortunate that San Francisco gave Vizquel that 3rd year, otherwise we would have likely had no shot at Iguchi.

This is very much a medium-risk, high-reward signing..and is a very good signing.  I would almost say don't be surprised if Harris is dealt...but that would be a poor choice, having no idea what Iguchi will do in the MLB.

Wite, BR uses 3-year park factors. so that would explain the difference, considering USCF played close to nuetral in the two years prior. The one year Parf effects were greatly skewed towards USCF being a hitters haven. We won't know for sure until there are a couple more years played, but I think it's pretty safe to say, after what we've observed with our own eyes that USCF is one of the top 3 hitters parks in baseball.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 03:17 PM)
Well of course, you're comparing 3 guys covering 2 positions to one guy at second.  :unsure:

I think Iguchi at second AND Uribe at short will produce more than the platoon you listed above.

Well what it comes down to is this:

Is Iguchi @ 2B + Uribe @ SS better than

Harris @ 2B + Uribe @ SS vs. righties and Uribe @ 2B + Valdez @ SS vs. lefties?

I'd have to say definitely, taking into consideration what just one injury would do to the latter tandem.

Ok. I'm moving his splits to a stat thread I created so we can always look back at it.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?sh...st=0&p=565843

vs L 2002 129PA .272A 0.336O 0.447S

vs R 2002 343PA .255A 0.319O 0.414S

vs L 2003 132PA .305A 0.439O 0.533S

vs R 2003 485PA .349A 0.438O 0.583S

vs L 2004 127PA .284A 0.331O 0.422S

vs R 2004 447PA .348A 0.412O 0.586S

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)
Great news to hear.  Glad I finally made it through reading this whole thread.

Well, I read 2 or 3 pages..I got the jist :D

Although when Frank comes back we'll have the all-mighty-righties...I always like balance in a line-up..but I guess if the hitter is a good hitter doesn't matter..

Great signing :drink

I'm on the record that a Harris/Valdez/Uribe triple platoon at 2B/SS would be cheaper, better defensively, and probably produce at the same rate as Iguchi at second.

I'd take that bet all day long.

Harris/Uribe/Valdez platoon = another 2nd place finish.

QUOTE(GASHWOUND @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
Well, I read 2 or 3 pages..I got the jist :D

Although when Frank comes back we'll have the all-mighty-righties...I always like balance in a line-up..but I guess if the hitter is a good hitter doesn't matter..

Great signing :drink

The offense isn't that balanced righty/lefty wise but it is balanced in a way it hasn't been before and that has having different types of players. We now have guys who can run and guys who can bang the ball out of the park, this team can manufacture runs or hit the 3 run homer, this is something we haven't had.

Iguchi will definitely have an adjustment period for a few months before we see the best of him. He'll probably really struggle early against the 2 seam fastball, like the 2 Matsui's did in their 1st season. I know some people think that Harris is cheaper, younger and therefore a better option, and Iguchi may only put up the same stats as Willie.

But there's a couple of things here which I think will be more important in the long - run. It gives us a greater access to the market in Japan, and maybe it would be a good idea for the Sox to try and play a game or two in Japan at the start of the season like the Yankees do. And more importantly, hopefully it'll give us a much better chance at signing Daisuke Matzusuka next off-season.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 09:12 PM)
And more importantly, hopefully it'll give us a much better chance at signing Daisuke Matzusuka next off-season.

This are the main guys in the next couple years. Matkusuka is not eligible until 2007 i believe. If you have see it else where that he is next year let me know.

Daisuke Matsuzaka: pitcher from Japan- eligible for free agency in Japan in 2007(will make 2.4M in 2005 with the Seibu Lions.)

Koji Uehara: pitcher from Japan- eligible for free agency in Japan in 2007 and hopes to pitch in the majors in 2006 via the posting system.

Kei Igawa: pitcher from Japan- eligible for free agency in Japan in 2007.

Norihiro Nakamura: OF from Japan- eligible to come via posting system.

Toshihisa Nishi: 2Bmen from Japan- is a current free agent in Japan and is looking for a contract in MLB for 1M or more or will stay in Jap.  (he re-signed in Japan on 12/29/04) Agent: Scott Boras.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 02:36 PM)
This are the main guys in the next couple years. Matkusuka is not eligible until 2007 i believe. If you have see it else where that he is next year let me know.

I know he signed a 1 year deal with his team in Japan for this season, and from what I've heard next year teams in the MLB can bid on him, but I'm not sure if that's 100%. I'll have to find out.

The Seibu Lions may post him anyways. This was from an article in Japan a couple of days ago;

The Seibu Lions recently said they would consider posting their young ace Daisuke Matsuzaka at the conclusion of the 2005 season. However, Matsuzaka has been the exception so far this winter.