Bruce Levine discusses Iguchi and Willie

Jabroni

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 10:27 PM)
Yeah its incredibly stupid for the Sox to keep a dirt cheap player around, when we can put all of our eggs into the Iguchi basket.

I hope Iguchi is outstanding, but to say it would be stupid to have a cheap plan B, I just dont understand.

For all the hate for Harris, I wonder why so many people dont hate Crede?

Ah well, I hope the Sox do not knee jerk sell Harris at the lowest possible price.

SB

I hate crede!

So Bruce Levine thinks Harris will be traded, eh?

What a shock.

It's one thing to have depth, it's quite another to have depth in the form of guys who can play well off the bench. And, depth that can play multiple positions per the team needs.

In this case those needs are middle infield and also 3B. That ain't Harris.

On this attitude discussion w/Harris ... I was reading another board and someone who was there said Harris, while signing autographs during his session , was talking on his cell phone. Did anyone see that? Does anyone think that's maybe a little clueless (rude) on his part? Isn't the idea to provide a bit of personal interaction with the fans?

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 05:17 PM)

What a shock.

It's one thing to have depth, it's quite another to have depth in the form of guys who can play well off the bench.  And, depth that can play multiple positions per the team needs. 

In this case those needs are middle infield and also 3B.  That ain't Harris.

On this attitude discussion w/Harris ... I was reading another board and someone who was there said Harris, while signing autographs during his session , was talking on his cell phone.  Did anyone see that?  Does anyone think that's maybe a little clueless (rude) on his part?  Isn't the idea to provide a bit of personal interaction with the fans?

He also was signing his autograph upside down on those mini helmets. Its Willie being Willie. A total jackass.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 11:19 PM)
Who do you bring in next, now that your guy Aurilia is off the board?

i truly believe it will be a trade. No free agent, a trade. We have minor leaguers to trade and possibly a reliever in Adkins. personally I think KW is already workign on it, and will probably announce something soon. Hopefully, we won't give away some guy in the minors that everyone on the board has fallin in love with. Wouldn't want to give away our precious resources.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 05:17 PM)

What a shock.

It's one thing to have depth, it's quite another to have depth in the form of guys who can play well off the bench.  And, depth that can play multiple positions per the team needs. 

On this attitude discussion w/Harris ... I was reading another board and someone who was there said Harris, while signing autographs during his session , was talking on his cell phone.  Did anyone see that?  Does anyone think that's maybe a little clueless (rude) on his part?  Isn't the idea to provide a bit of personal interaction with the fans?

Jim, although I can't speak directly to that, while I was at the fourth of July game at Wrigley Field this summer, while Willie was standing around during BP, he treated my kid brother like garbage.

My brother was simply asking for one of the dozens of balls laying around the infield (literaly 6 inches from Willie) and he refused to do it. Later, when we were on the field taking pictures with a Cub photographer (and friend of the family) Sandy Alomar took my brother aside and gave him a few balls and signed one of them. When asked if it was a hassel, Sandy commented, "Oh no. Its my pleasure. I'm glad to see so many Sox fans here." Sandy was great. Jamie Burke was also extremely fan-friendly and more than willing to sign for the kids.

I did hear Willie was rapping at the Soxfest autograph table though. :lol:

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 11:19 PM)
Who do you bring in next, now that your guy Aurilia is off the board?

I know you weren't asking me, but i went to ESPN to see who's left. Here's a list:

Barry Larkin 40

Deivi Cruz 32

Mark DeRosa 29

Mark McLemore 40

There are more, but these are the ones I thought would be able to play more than one position. none really get my boat a-tuggin', but McLemore might not be bad...he's a super util guy. could be worth a minor league invite?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 05:24 PM)
That would be just fine by me.

Rush would never accept such a trade, Neil Peart is worth too much in comparison to Harris. I've always like Harris' pure speed, but he never does anything with it. At least Peart uses it to his advantage. :snr

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 11:17 PM)

What a shock.

Agreed. Harris is not a guy you want coming in to PH and is not much, if any, of a defensive upgrade late in games at 2B or CF. You could only bring him in to face RHP, and we can't count on him to bunt. If he does manage to get on base, you can't even count on him to steal. If you pinch run him, you still can't count on him to steal. I really don't see how we could justify using a roster spot on him. If Iguchi fails then we move Uribe to 2B and play whoever our utility man is at SS, who will hopefully be someone who can bunt and has good speed. I absolutely love the idea of trading Willie, Garland, and a medium to high prospect for a decent starter and a MIF guy. We know just from looking at the current roster that KW can't be done unless he is content with Valdez as the UTIL man, which I don't believe he is.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 05:25 PM)
Neil Peart is a god amongst insects. :notworthy

I have idolized Peart since the third grade.

I hope this is serious, calling someone like Peart a god amongst insects...I'm not quite sure how to take that...just in case you were making fun of Peart, you get this : :stick

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 05:28 PM)
I hope this is serious, calling someone like Peart a god amongst insects...I'm not quite sure how to take that...just in case you were making fun of Peart, you get this :  :stick

:o Oh goodness no.

Maybe you'd be more comfortable with, "a god amongst men?"

I've been a drummer since age 4 and in awe of Peart since age 10.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 11:26 PM)
Agreed.  Harris is not a guy you want coming in to PH and is not much, if any, of a defensive upgrade late in games at 2B or CF.  You could only bring him in to face RHP, and we can't count on him to bunt.  If he does manage to get on base, you can't even count on him to steal.  If you pinch run him, you still can't count on him to steal.  I really don't see how we could justify using a roster spot on him.  If Iguchi fails then we move Uribe to 2B and play whoever our utility man is at SS, who will hopefully be someone who can bunt and has good speed.  I absolutely love the idea of trading Willie, Garland, and a medium to high prospect for a decent starter and a MIF guy.  We know just from looking at the current roster that KW can't be done unless he is content with Valdez as the UTIL man, which I don't believe he is.

What do you mean Harris isn't a good defensive replacement?

I think everyone here can admit that we, most likely, won't be getting a defensive upgrade with Iguchi. Yeah, I know about his Gold Gloves -- but there's gonna be an adjustment period as he's no longer gonna get those lolly-pop, easy, predictable turf hops. He's aging, too, so I doubt we're going to keep him healthy the whole season. Don't get me wrong, I don't expect him to be injury prone, but he'll have his bumps and bruises throughout the season. Harris plays about as good of a 2B as just about anyone. And yes, I'm serious.

Also -- what's wrong with Harris coming off the bench, late in the game, and stealing a base? No doubt, if Harris gains some confidence from Raines/Podsednik, then we'll have a premier base stealer on our hands, and you know Ozzie will put that to use, bad attitude or not.

We have what I'd call, three question marks (I'm knitpicking here) on this team -- at 3B with Crede, at 2B with Iguchi, and at LF with Podsednik -- Crede may not bounce back from his poor season last year, Iguchi may not adjust well, and Podsednik may not bounce back to his 2003 form. It's nice to have a safety blanket in Harris, in case our 2B or LF fail to produce, but that's just me...

I know you weren't asking me, but i  went to ESPN to see who's left.  Here's a list:

Barry Larkin 40

Deivi Cruz 32

Mark DeRosa 29

Mark McLemore 40

There are more, but these are the ones I thought would be able to play more than one position.  none really get my boat a-tuggin', but McLemore might not be bad...he's a super util guy.  could be worth a minor league invite?

DeRosa is now with Texas, McLemore retired.

So from the FA route, it's Deivi Cruz and Larkin.

Im in the camp to keep Willie.  We need some speed off the bench and he can play CF every once in a while.  Keep peapod.

So can Pablo Ozuna, and he can play SS too. If there were a 30 man active roster there might be room for Harris, but at 25, no.

QUOTE(HoosierSox @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 05:38 PM)
Im in the camp to keep Willie.  We need some speed off the bench and he can play CF every once in a while.  Keep peapod.

I know I am in the silent minority here, but I like having the insurance policy in case Iguchi makes a Kaz-like meltdown.

We seem to be the majority at the moment in the poll.  I want Willie on the bench too.  Willie suddenly becomes a better player when you put his numbers up against other bench players around the league.  I like having him on the bench for depth.

This is true. As a starter, Willie isn't a top guy but he could make for a really good bench player.