Bruce Levine discusses Iguchi and Willie

Jabroni

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 07:35 PM)
Exactly. That scares me ALOT. Especially since no one seems to talk about we were the only team to be in the running for this guy. That makes me question something...

You got to remember he came over here expecting Kaz money. That had to turn some teams off for such an unproven commodity. Also, the same thing happened w/ Shingo. I'd say that turned out really good for us.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 06:35 PM)
Exactly. That scares me ALOT. Especially since no one seems to talk about we were the only team to be in the running for this guy. That makes me question something...

The Yankees would rather have Tony Womack start at 2B, I think that says a lot.

Of course this can be countered by saying those same Yankees didn't really even examine the possibility of the all-around solid Placido Polanco.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 06:35 PM)

I believe we were the only ones in the running because of Moss' high initial demand for Iguchi. Twenty million dollars is a very scary number. Even for the Yankees. The other teams probably didn't want to waste time negotiating, not knowing whether they could bargain for Iguchi while there were some acceptable free agents still available for the taking.

I'm sure if the Yankees, Cardinals, and Red Sox knew that Iguchi could actually be had for less than he was making in Japan, their interest level would've risen considerably. Remember, KW got him at only 33% of what he originally wanted.

That's why I think these statements saying the Yankees taking Womack at 2 million or Red Sox taking Bellhorn at 3 million tells us all we need to know about Iguchi are just bogus.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 06:38 PM)
The Yankees would rather have Tony Womack start at 2B, I think that says a lot.

Of course this can be countered by saying those same Yankees didn't really even examine the possibility of the all-around solid Placido Polanco.

Give me a f***ing break.

You should see the Yankee fans' reaction to this signing. Maybe the Yankees were turned off by his agent's original proposal of 3 year $20 million. :huh

The Giants re-signed Deivi Cruz...

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...guenum=&id=5748

Latest News  Nov. 3, 2004 - 8:22 pm et

Deivi Cruz's one-year deal is worth $800,000 and includes $300,000 in incentives.

That's more reasonable than expected. At that price, GM Brian Sabean shouldn't hesitate to make Cruz a utilityman if someone better comes along.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 08:25 PM)
I think the perception of Kazuo's season is unfair. His numbers were not bad at all. Even if you want to talk D, it's hard to compare 2nd and ss.  IF you take a look at Matsui's numbers, we should be happy to take those.

My only memory of Kaz's first season is taking the first MLB pitch to straight-away center for a solo bomb.

It was awesome.

I took him in my fantasy league in the 11th round.

EDIT: Besides fellas, we inked Iguchi to a deal 33% of what he was asking. Kenny negotiated the hell out of this. Fantastic signing.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 02:22 AM)
I don't think the Cubs would do that deal :P

I was going to say, the Cubs dont have Sullivan. I would love that trade. I think everyone would love to get Tony G! As far as the Cubs, I hope they enjoy their injured new players (aka Scott Williamson). LOL the Cubs sign 1 injured free agent miner leaguer while the Sox totally change the face of their team in a good way. I'm lovin it!

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 08:30 PM)
I was going to say, the Cubs dont have Sullivan. I would love that trade. I think everyone would love to get Tony G! As far as the Cubs, I hope they enjoy their injured new players (aka Scott Williamson). LOL the Cubs sign 1 injured free agent miner leaguer while the Sox totally change the face of their team in a good way. I'm lovin it!

Who is this injured free agent minor leaguer?

has anyone ever though we might just go into the season with the only backup for Uribe at SS was Valdez and if Uribe does go down his backup might be in our minors. A long while back in an article about Pedro Lopez i remember KW saying he would be worth starting at SS right now if for nothing else his amazing defense. Whose to say thats not the backup plan for Uribe in which case we could keep Willie on the 25 man roster.

Honestly, if we look at Willie with such little value, what can you really get for him?

Do not trade him just for the heck of it. Let him play on the bench. Competition will hopefully spark a fire under his ass to a point where he makes every at bat he gets count.

Hopefully, at the trade deadline we get some vet at 3B to light that same fire under Crede's ass if he is not performing by then

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jan 25, 2005 -> 08:34 AM)
Honestly, if we look at Willie with such little value, what can you really get for him?

Do not trade him just for the heck of it. Let him play on the bench. Competition will hopefully spark a fire under his ass to a point where he makes every at bat he gets count.

Hopefully, at the trade deadline we get some vet at 3B to light that same fire under Crede's ass if he is not performing by then

good point and i agree, lets keep willie and see if he see the lite. plus he will be a great plan "B" if this japanese guy doesn't pan out.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 04:17 PM)
IMO it would be incredibly stupid for the Sox to keep Willie at this point.

Name some UIF who might be had for Willie? Can anything think of any?

why??

What if Iguchi does terrible, wouldnt it be good to know Willie could step in and play instead of not knowing or having to put Valdez out there to start?

Willie already proved he can play, now he just needs to start improving.. I didnt have a problem with .262 and a .343 OBP and 20 SB's from him.. especially since that was his first year as a full time starter..

I hope we keep him, it would be good insurance