willie and iguchi

daa84

So now Harris seems like the odd man out. Say the marlins do sign delgado. Say the rumors we heard about them then moving castillo are true. Could they move Castillo to another team, and then acquire Harris (who was initially in those rumors) in a three way trade with the sox getting something from the other team? not sure what they would get, but what do you think?

on another note

The guy on Stayin Hot on mlbradio said that Billy Sample and Brian McCrae both saw Iguchi in Japan in the allstar leagues and said the he's pretty good, and they sounded optimistic about him. They also said that Iguchi's smaller contract isn't because he's worse than the other Japanese guys with larger deals, just that Matsui bombing killed their market.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 05:05 PM)
How about this?

White Sox get:

A.J. Burnett

Marlins get:

Jon Garland

Willie Harris

I would do that trade in a second.

I would too, but they wouldn't i dont think

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 11:05 PM)
How about this?

White Sox get:

A.J. Burnett

Marlins get:

Jon Garland

Willie Harris

I would do that trade in a second.  The Marlins get cost-cutting replacements for Burnett and Castillo and we upgrade our rotation.

They wouldn't.

I think you are forgetting something else. Delgado signing with the fighting Fish is contingent on their remaining a contender. It's why there is a lot of deferred $ in the contract. Trading Burnett would not be a good sign towards that.

I think the fighting Fish are more liklely to swing a Castillo for Kaz + cash deal than a 3-way Harris deal. Any one tradiing for Castillo already has a 2B. The Mets would basically be unloading Kaz so the Fish would pay much less for 2B over the next 3 yrs.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 11:05 PM)
How about this?

White Sox get:

A.J. Burnett

Marlins get:

Jon Garland

Willie Harris

I would do that trade in a second.  The Marlins get cost-cutting replacements for Burnett and Castillo and we upgrade our rotation.

Reports are that Burnett is a real jackass in the clubhouse (I remember reading that somewhere this offseason).

I dunno if I want two (just potentially, not definite) sparkplugs in Pierz and Burnett in the clubhouse.

Plus, it's nice to have an innings eat as your fifth starter. We'd have three question marks (two health ??s, one mental ??) with Burnett, El Duque, and Contreras.

I love Burnett's stuff, but I think we're OK heading to Tuscon as the team is now (maybe adding a vet MIF).

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 06:09 PM)
I think you are forgetting something else.  Delgado signing with the fighting Fish is contingent on their remaining a contender.  It's why there is a lot of deferred $ in the contract. Trading Burnett would not be a good sign towards that.

I think the fighting Fish are more liklely to swing a Castillo for Kaz + cash deal than a 3-way Harris deal.  Any one tradiing for Castillo already has a 2B.  The Mets would basically be unloading Kaz so the Fish would pay much less for 2B over the next 3 yrs.

I think they might do the Burnett trade if we threw in a prospect or two. You would be replacing burnett with Garland, Harris, and prospects. That would help them not hurt them IMO.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 05:05 PM)
How about this?

White Sox get:

A.J. Burnett

Marlins get:

Jon Garland

Willie Harris

There's a problem with that though...

Jon and Willie make more $$$ than Burnett.

There's a problem with that though...

Jon and Willie make more $$$ than Burnett.

Not really...

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...guenum=&id=6314

Latest News  Jan. 17, 2005 - 7:37 pm et

Marlins agreed to terms with RHP A.J. Burnett on a one-year, $3.65 million contract.

He can earn $150,000 in performance bonuses: $50,000 each for 190 innings, 200 and 210 innings pitched. The team could still discuss a multiyear deal with Burnett. The right-hander is eligible for free agency after the season.

So Burnett is going to make a guaranteed $3.65 million in 2005 with a possible $300,000 in incentives. He could earn $3.95 million if he reaches all of his incentives. Garland is only making $3.4 million in 2005 and Willie will make what, league minimum of $320,000?

A.J. Burnett = $3.65 million (possibly up to $3.95 million)

Jon Garland + Willie Harris = $3.72 million

But then what do the Fish do with Castillo? They haven't gained anything $ wise & that's the main reason for them to make a trade. Now they have to find a team with a hole at 2B that would be willing to part with another group of players.

I can't think of many like that with the $ to spend on Castillo. Maybe the Rangers.

Soriano - Marlins to play 2B

Harris - Marlins to play CF

Garland - Marlins rotation

Burnett - Sox rotation

Castillo - Texas 2B

Harris & Soriano are similar players only Soriano has much more power.

Is Burnett really an upgrade over Garland?

If we made that trade & Garland has a breakout year with the Fish & Burnett struggles in the tougher AL that would be one that would haunt us

for a long time. We're still suffering from the Fogg & Wells trades.

I don't like Burnett enough to do that.

But then what do the Fish do with Castillo?  They haven't gained anything $ wise & that's the main reason for them to make a trade.  Now they have to find a team with a hole at 2B that would be willing to part with another group of players.

I can't think of many like that with the $ to spend on Castillo.  Maybe the Rangers. 

Soriano - Marlins to play 2B

Harris - Marlins to play CF

Garland - Marlins rotation

Burnett - Sox rotation

Castillo - Texas 2B

Harris & Soriano are similar players only Soriano has much more power.

Is Burnett really an upgrade over Garland?

If we made that trade & Garland has a breakout year with the Fish & Burnett struggles in the tougher AL that would be one that would haunt us

for a long time.  We're still suffering from the Fogg & Wells trades.

I don't like Burnett enough to do that.

Obviously, this is all speculation and it is banking on the Marlins signing Delgado and trading Castillo. It probably has no chance of happening anyways.

By the way, how are Harris and Soriano similar players? No way...

1.) Willie Harris can get on base at a higher clip than Soriano (as surprising as that is).

2.) Soriano is a righty bat; Willie is a lefty bat.

3.) Soriano has a ton of power; Willie has none.

4.) Soriano is a horrible defensive 2B; Willie is a good defensive 2B.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 24, 2005 -> 07:21 PM)
I really don't want Lowell, and if we traded Garland, we have that hole in our rotation again.  We really don't have any holes right now.  Let's leave it that way.

Ya, don't mess with this group, find a utility man and head to tucson.