Convicted Rapist Alex Kelly Seeks Parole

Steff

I linked the story from '97 in case some of you don't know about this story. Since he's been in jail supposedly 5 other females has come forward to claim he raped them. This guy, and his asshole parents, are total scumbags!! :angry:

http://1010wins.com/topstories/local_story_024170735.html

(1010 WINS) (STAMFORD) Convicted rapist Alex Kelly, who spent years as a fugitive in Europe, is seeking parole after serving about half of his 16-year prison sentence.

The move angered his victims.

"I think it's outrageous," Adrienne Bak, one of Kelly's victims, said Monday. "He hasn't served even the amount of time he spent as a fugitive from justice."

Bak, a medical saleswoman, learned recently that Kelly was up for parole and vowed to fight his release.

A parole hearing has tentatively been set for March 3, said Gregory R. Everett, chairman of the Connecticut Board of Pardons and Paroles. If Kelly is granted parole, he could be released from a Suffield prison in July when he has served about eight years, Everett said.

"There's no guarantee anybody will be released," Everett said. "He may get out, he may not get out."

A prosecutor said Monday he would oppose Kelly's recent request for parole, which was reported Monday by The New York Post.

"Hopefully the Parole Board will do the right thing," said David I. Cohen, state's attorney for Stamford and Norwalk. "To my way of thinking he should serve every day of his sentence."

Kelly's defense attorneys could not be reached for comment. Telephone messages were left with his attorneys, Hope Seeley and Thomas Puccio.

Kelly, 37, was an 18-year-old wrestling standout at Darien High School when he was charged in the rapes of two teenage girls four days apart in February 1986.

Just before his trial was to begin in 1987, Kelly fled the country. He spent eight years as a fugitive before surrendering in Switzerland in 1995. While in Europe, he spent time skiing, hang gliding and mountain climbing using money authorities say his parents sent him.

He was convicted in the first case in June 1997 and later pleaded no contest to first-degree sexual assault in a separate attack on a 17-year-old Stamford girl.

In April 2001, the state Supreme Court upheld Kelly's conviction.

Hillary Buchanan, whom Kelly raped and sodomized three days after he assaulted Bak, also vowed to fight his release. Buchanan, 36, is a former ski patroller who is now a stay-home mom.

"The fact that he was in jail less time than he was having fun in Europe is disturbing, to say the least," Buchanan said. "He shows no remorse for it. He's very capable of doing it again because he doesn't seem to think he did anything wrong to begin with."

Kelly was supposed to serve at least 85 percent of his 16-year prison sentence before being eligible for release.

But a Connecticut Supreme Court decision about five years ago affected Kelly and hundreds of other inmates by rejecting the retroactive application of the 85 percent rule, Everett said. The ruling meant that Kelly would be eligible for parole after serving about half of his sentence under the laws in effect in 1986.

Article about the case from back in 1997

http://www.cnn.com/US/9706/12/kelly.guilty/

Alex Kelly found guilty of rape

June 12, 1997

Web posted at: 5:20 p.m. EDT (1720 GMT)

STAMFORD, Connecticut (CNN) -- Onetime fugitive athlete Alex Kelly was convicted Thursday of raping a teen-aged neighbor, more than a decade after fleeing his wealthy suburb to avoid a trial and traveling around Europe for eight years.

It was the second time Kelly, 30, was tried for the 1986 rape of a 16-year-old girl. His first trial ended in a mistrial in November after the jury deadlocked 4-2 in favor of conviction.

This time it took the panel of three men and three women 8 1/2 hours of deliberations over two days, requesting to re-hear several hours of testimony from five witnesses.

The jurors spent most of the morning Thursday re-reading testimony given by Kelly's accuser and the female police officer she told her story to the day after the attack.

After the verdict was read, Kelly cried out, in a voice choked with sobs, "I'm not guilty, I'm not guilty, I'm not guilty!"

He then looked at jurors and said "God, I didn't do this. Why are you doing this to me? I am not guilty."

At the request of the judge, sheriffs subdued Kelly by holding his arms to his side. He was led out of the courtroom in handcuffs, while his mother cried and his father covered his face.

Kelly's bond temporarily revoked

Judge Kevin Tierney released Kelly on a $1 million bond, the highest ever posted in the state of Connecticut, and some of the conditions of the bond have been tightened.

A sentencing date has been set for July 24th.

Kelly was an 18-year-old wrestling star at Darien High School when he was charged in the rape of the Darien teen-ager as well as the alleged rape four days later of a 17-year-old Stamford girl.

He fled the United States in 1987 shortly before his first trial was scheduled. He evaded the FBI for eight years, traveling around Europe and, according to the stamps on his passport, visited more than a dozen countries. Authorities say his wealthy parents bankrolled his life as a fugitive.

Kelly decided to return to the U.S. in 1995 with a woman who is now his fiancee to face trial.

He faced a single count of sexual assault, which carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in jail. Kelly, who did not take the stand in either trial, claimed that the sex was consensual.

One of the most notable differences in the two trials was the

testimony from Kelly's accuser.

Kelly faces 2nd trial on another rape charge

The woman testified that Kelly offered her a ride home from a high school party, then forced her into the cargo area of a Jeep Wagoneer, where, she said, he choked her, raped her and threatened to kill her if she told anyone.

The accuser, now a 27-year-old pharmaceutical saleswoman, said during the first trial that Kelly kept one hand on her throat during the entire attack, even when he reached around her to lower the rear seat of the Jeep.

Several jurors in that trial said they could not understand how Kelly was physically able to pin the woman in the front passenger seat and lower the back seat with just one hand.

In the retrial, the woman said Kelly did take his hand off her throat to lower the rear seat with both hands. That account matched the story she gave Darien police 11 years ago. The woman told the jury she simply made a mistake during the first trial.

Kelly faces another trial on charges of raping the second girl.