Sirus and XM in merger talks?

southsider2k5

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
That would be really cool cause then people could get NBA, MLB, and NFL games on Satellite Radio.  Of course they could raise prices due to a lack of competition following the merger.

with a larger customer base, the economy of scale kicks in and costs will decrease. This is a boom for the consumer! :rolly

As much as I hate to actually say this, it may actually help if they merged. Right now, people are torn as to which service to choose. FOr example, I would want the NFL AND MLB stuff, but since they are on competing companies I have to choose one. If all sports were available on service, I would prefer that one.

WIth that being said, i would much rather see all sports available on BOTH and then let the consumer choose and let the free market take hold

Prices won't go up significantly anytime soon. They still need to convince listeners that it is a good value to subscribe to satellite radio. With the radio conglomerates finally offering proper reaction to declining listenership, it may be a tougher row to hoe than they previously thought.

This merger might actually make one of the two companies financially viable.

FWIW...

Sirius chief denies talks with XM brass:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6870266/

NEW YORK - Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. Chief Executive Mel Karmazin has not met with top executives of rival XM Satellite Radio Holdings to discuss a merger between the two broadcasters, Karmazin said on a conference call Wednesday after Sirius reported a wider fourth-quarter loss.

“I have not met with the chairman or CEO, so I have no idea where any of this came from,” Karmazin said in response to a New York Post story that claimed Sirius and XM have started early merger discussions.

since sirus radios stock is at about $6.00 right now.. and xm is at around $33... if they mereged, sirus stock holders (i assume) would get a large boost to their portfolio....

any stock monglers out there think this might be a good long term high risk investment?

QUOTE(hi8is @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 04:10 AM)
since sirus radios stock is at about $6.00 right now.. and xm is at around $33... if they mereged, sirus stock holders (i assume) would get a large boost to their portfolio....

any stock monglers out there think this might be a good long term high risk investment?

Those two numbers don't mean much. It has a lot more to do with the amount of shares outstanding, debt, future earnings etc.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 04:10 AM)

Sirius is probably more recommended "buy" than XMSR right now because they have contracts with Ford, Chrysler, and Howard Stern. Earnings-wise, neither of these companies perform very well and are risky at best.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 10:14 AM)
Sirius is probably more recommended "buy" than XMSR right now because they have contracts with Ford, Chrysler, and Howard Stern.  Earnings-wise, neither of these companies perform very well and are risky at best.

At the same time XM works with Nissan, Honda (and Acura), and all of GM's offerings.

And I believe Sirius is dealer option only with Ford, XM will be standard option with GM in 2006 or 2007 I believe.

Sirius had to take an extra 250 million in debt to structure Stern's contract. I think it will sink the company before the Stern payoff hits.

Sirius:

Better Product

Howard Stern

XM:

Better Financials

More Liquidity

Better People behind it

Better distribution

Industry leader

Better Branding.

XM will win. And probably within the next 18 months.

QUOTE(winodj @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 03:33 PM)
And I believe Sirius is dealer option only with Ford, XM will be standard option with GM in 2006 or 2007 I believe.

Sirius had to take an extra 250 million in debt to structure Stern's contract. I think it will sink the company before the Stern payoff hits.

Sirius:

Better Product

Howard Stern

XM:

Better Financials

More Liquidity

Better People behind it

Better distribution

Industry leader

Better Branding.

XM will win. And probably within the next 18 months.

Sirius has exclusive factory-installed contracts with Ford, DaimlerChrysler, and some with BMW.

Retail-wise XM is the sexier pick but market analysis projects a 50/50 market split including OEM channels. Technologically, XM is actually a generation ahead of Sirius too. I see competition and a possible price war but these companies are both volatile and not really great financially. With Karmazin at Sirius, neither company is going to lose in 18 months.