News on Maggs

JDsDirtySox

After reading this article I am shocked. I can't believe how this thing is shaping up. Good Luck to Maggs... and anyone that thinks they are gonna get a fair deal from Boras.

ALARMING QUOTE FROM ARTICLE:

• The power hitting outfielder is not willing to accept a one-year contract and a reduced salary well below the $14 million he made with the Chicago White Sox in 2004.

ENTIRE ARTICLE

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/baseball/10737397.htm?1c

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 10:29 PM)
After reading this article I am shocked.  I can't believe how this thing is shaping up.  Good Luck to Maggs... and anyone that thinks they are gonna get a fair deal from Boras.

• The power hitting outfielder is not willing to accept a one-year contract and a reduced salary well below the $14 million he made with the Chicago White Sox in 2004.

ENTIRE ARTICLE

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/baseball/10737397.htm?1c

i'm not signing up....too lazy. But that's the insight of BorASS for you. pretty soon he'll own the world with the money he gets from player contracts. :headshake

The amazing amount of bad advice he has received over the past months is astounding.

Even more amazing...he is listening.

Agent puts high price on Ordonez

By T.R. Sullivan

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

ARLINGTON - Agent Scott Boras confirmed Tuesday that free agent Magglio Ordonez is interested in playing for the Rangers but made two things clear:

• Ordonez's injured right knee is healthy after multiple surgeries, and he has no intention of being a designated hitter.

"The marketplace has been very aggressive for him," said Boras, who has had two conversations with the Rangers about Ordonez. "You're talking about a guy who hit .300 with about 30 home runs and over 100 RBI for five straight years. This is a high-end player."

If Ordonez is seeking a contract that exceeds the four-year, $52 million deal Carlos Delgado agreed to with the Florida Marlins on Tuesday, then the Rangers will likely bow out, as they did with Delgado.

Ordonez, who turns 31 Friday, is coming off two knee surgeries to repair torn cartilage. The question is whether Ordonez's health and Boras' contract demands will discourage other teams as well.

Still, the Rangers have taken the first step and asked for Ordonez's medical records.

"My observation is he's a great player, if he's healthy," Rangers owner Tom Hicks said. "We'll reserve judgment until we see the medical records."

As with Delgado, the Rangers have competition. Boras and Ordonez met with the Detroit Tigers on Monday. The New York Mets and Baltimore Orioles, which both lost out on Delgado, as well as the Toronto Blue Jays and Chicago Cubs are interested.

"We'll have to wait and see," Hicks said. "But there's got to be some sort of protection in case of major injury."

Boras said, however, that Ordonez is healthy and ready to play.

"He's been working out for five months, and he's started doing baseball activities again," Boras said. "The first phase is to make sure clubs have all the medical information they need. We're in the process of doing that. Whatever clubs need to see, we're willing to do that.

"The Rangers should be interested. There's no free agent like this to go after next year, and he's certainly a better fit for them than Carlos Delgado."

The Rangers were looking at Delgado to be a designated hitter and had the same thoughts about Ordonez. Boras said that's not going to be the case.

"Between him, Richard Hidalgo and Kevin Mench, Magglio would certainly be the best right fielder of all three," Boras said.

Ordonez is a four-time All-Star, but, for the Rangers, it all comes back to his health.

"We'll keep it sequential," Hicks said. "Our interest will be predicated on what we see in the medical reports."

Pitcher signs

The Rangers have signed left-handed pitcher Wilfredo Rodriguez, once a top prospect in the Houston Astros organization, to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.

The Rangers received a strong scouting report on Rodriguez from the Venezuela winter league, where he has a 2.35 ERA. In 15 1/3 innings during the regular season, he has allowed 13 hits and six walks and struck out 15.

He was in the Florida Marlins organization last year, allowing 48 runs in 43 2/3 innings. In 2001, he was 5-9 with a 4.78 ERA with 94 strikeouts and 56 walks in 92 1/3 innings at Double A Round Rock. That earned him a September promotion to the Astros, and he pitched in two games for them.

The Rangers have also made an offer to veteran pitcher Pedro Astacio. They watched him pitch in the Dominican Republic last week.

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 10:32 PM)
i'm not signing up....too lazy.  But that's the insight of BorASS for you.  pretty soon he'll own the world with the money he gets from player contracts. :headshake

I thought I found it where you could read the article without signing up.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 04:32 AM)
Magglio totally screwed up when he turned down the Sox offer.  Now, he has to save face, so to speak.  He's painting himself into a corner here.  Magglio is going to have to swallow some pride and hope he doesn't choke on it.

Maggs will regret not taking the Sox offer. You can never really predict these things, but I have to doubt that Maggs is going to get the same offer now that he did with the Sox back then.

I love how Bora$$ says how they're in the PROCESS of giving teams medical records etc. Just wait until spring training if a team doesn't come up with a so called "suitable" offer, and they'll still be in the process of doing that. Bora$$ thinks now that teams missed out no Delgado, they are going to be falling over themselves to sign Maggs, think again. If Detroit wants to offer 4 years $40 million, that's the most he's going to get. Period.

So the Boras/Magglio party line has gone from "he'll be happy to workout for any team" to "any doctor you want can examine him" to "take a look at the the selected medical history we provide, and yes he is actually doing a little 'baseball activity' but for all you know that may be spitting and scratching his nuts..."

And somehow teams are still interested...?

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 10:39 PM)
1) get mozilla

2) install bugmenot extension (I beleive there's extensions for IE too, but that would defeat the purpose)

3) Never have to post another whiny complaint about site registratoin again.

I use Firefox..so had it installed for awhile..didn't know what brwoser he used though

But it's great..simple as a right-click..too bad no pay sites are included yet :P

Edited by GASHWOUND

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 10:59 PM)
yes he is actually doing a little 'baseball activity' but for all you know that may be spitting and scratching his nuts..."

Haha :lolhitting

Maggs is stupid. If he gets an 8 digit figure, he can go to hell, and so can the team that caved, and if that team gives him a multi-year deal, they can go to hell twice.

I don't wish ill will on people...but this guy's a true asshole.

Thankfully, karma will take care of his ass.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 11:39 PM)
1) get mozilla

2) install bugmenot extension (I beleive there's extensions for IE too, but that would defeat the purpose)

3) Never have to post another whiny complaint about site registratoin again.

I tried to use the ESPN Insider stuff there, but it wouldn't let me.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 10:32 PM)
Magglio totally screwed up when he turned down the Sox offer.  Now, he has to save face, so to speak.  He's painting himself into a corner here.  Magglio is going to have to swallow some pride and hope he doesn't choke on it.

My reply to that!...Oh ---EEEE---Oh!! GREEEEEDY---OH!!!

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 10:32 PM)

My reply to that!...Oh----eeeee----Ohhh

Greeeeeedy----Oh