News on Maggs

JDsDirtySox

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I pose this question. We signed Jermaine Dye to a 2 year $10.15 milion deal. Maggs and Bora$$ think he can get 4 years $52 million, which would more than double what Dye is going to make. Who here thinks Dye could have better offensive numbers than Maggs next season, just solely based on the fact Dye is going to hit half his games at the Cell?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 03:15 AM)
I pose this question. We signed Jermaine Dye to a 2 year $10.15 milion deal. Maggs and Bora$$ think he can get 4 years $52 million, which would more than double what Dye is going to make. Who here thinks Dye could have better offensive numbers than Maggs next season, just solely based on the fact Dye is going to hit half his games at the Cell?

Dye is not a high average hitter, but I would place money on him having more HR and RBI this season than Maggs

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 03:20 AM)
Dye is not a high average hitter, but I would place money on him having more HR and RBI this season than Maggs

If Maggs plays for the Tigers, probably. If he signs with Texas, then probably not.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 03:49 AM)
hey gene... i installed that bugmenot extention and am using firefox... but when i type a link into that bugmenot.com field and press enter, it just closes my browsers window....

any idea whats goin on?

no clue --- all you have to do is right click in the spot(where you would type) where you are supposed to fill out the form for the website, and select bugmenot -- that shuold log you in

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 07:16 AM)
1. The louder and more outspoken Boras gets, the more I'm convinced Magglio ain't close to 100 percent.

2. Sad situation.

3. Dude was truly appreciated by Sox fans.

4. Now he's showing he's just another greedy bastard.

1. I agree

2. I agree

3. I agree

4. I disagree. I think he's been brainwashed by a slick sonofab**** in Scott Boras. That's it. Apparently these guys don't have (or aren't aloud by Boras) anyone else around them to get advice from.

QUOTE(striker62704 @ Jan 26, 2005 -> 10:38 PM)
Boras said Ordonez is a better fielder than Hidalgo? I thought Hidalgo had a cannon? Won't it be weird seing our pitchers face Maggs?

Boras also said there is no free agent as good next year as Magglio. That may be the case (I haven't seen the list) but I'm guessing whichever of Boras clients that are available next offseason will all of the sudden become the greatest thing since sliced bread. Boras may not say they're as good or better then Magglio, but it won't stop him for asking for Beltran type money.

Bob

There are a couple of observations I see here:

1) maggs was totally the one that stalled the early negotiations with the Whitesox. His agents probably advised him to sign but he thought he was above everyone.

2) Boras is using his experience with Irod as a way to leverage the maggs contract. totally different cases. but he wants teams to remember how teams viewed Irod's back and he turned out great.

3) Does anyone think that maggs is worth 14 million even if he were healthy? You see I do not. Then again I would not pay anyone that kind of money knowing full well, that an injury like maggs can happen very quickly.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 08:35 AM)
Is Texas really so stupid to believe Boras... again..?

I hope they sign him.. and give him all the $$ he's asking for. Serves them right for being such idiots.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Aren't the ARod and Chan Ho Park deals enough to convince them not to mess around with Borass? Heck I am going to go waaaaaaay out on a limb here and say a team would be smarter to trade for Sammy Sosa than to sign Maggs to a long term deal. At least with Sosa you know what you are going to with Scammy. Maggs, who knows. Plus dealing with Borass you know you can't trust what he saids...

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 02:35 PM)
Is Texas really so stupid to believe Boras... again..?

I hope they sign him.. and give him all the $$ he's asking for. Serves them right for being such idiots.

You wonder how these businessmen make money. Sometimes they are so stupid. We put down JR all the time, but at least he is shrewed. somteimes cheap, but shrewed.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 02:39 PM)
That's pretty much what I was thinking.  Aren't the ARod and Chan Ho Park deals enough to convince them not to mess around with Borass?  Heck I am going to go waaaaaaay out on a limb here and say a team would be smarter to trade for Sammy Sosa than to sign Maggs to a long term deal.  At least with Sosa you know what you are going to with Scammy.  Maggs, who knows.  Plus dealing with Borass you know you can't trust what he saids...

I completely agree. Sammy is not coming off a major injury, his numbers are declining, but you know you will get at least 35 hrs out of him and probably a .250 avg. Maggs might not play until well into the season.

Maggs is making a lot of demands instead of taking a Nomar-like contract, proving his worth and going back out there to get the big paycheck next year.

Boras' M.O. is to keep chirping about how healthy and productive Maggs is, but NOBODY has seen him run or swing a bat or play the outfield since he was shut down last June.

Some teams are still complaining that they don't think they have all his medical records.

Who would be so stupid to give him a multi-year deal untill they put him through a serious series of workouts? Even then, the guy could have residual pain and swelling after he played for a week or more, especially after appearing on artificial turf.

Boras keeps trying to play one team off another.

All he needs is a pair of fools to play his game. And Tom Hicks can't control his inner fool sometimes.

I just wish more teams would step up and do what the Sox have done -- namely say they're not dealing with Boras, period.

It really doesn't matter to me where Maggs goes now.

I'd rather he went to a non-AL Central team, just in case the leg is sound.

I'm just glad that the Sox didn't sign him now, since they would've been stuck monetarily and couldn't have made half the moves they did without dealing Konerko and Lee, and maybe Garland or Marte too.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 10:35 AM)
Boras' M.O. is to keep chirping about how healthy and productive Maggs is, but NOBODY has seen him run or swing a bat  or play the outfield since he was shut down last June.

Hasn't Boras been saying Maggs is completely healthy since November? And didn't he, if not deny at least not mention or imply that Maggs didn't have shock treatment? It looks like one lie and ridiculous statement after another. I know this is how Borass operates, it's just surprising to me that Maggs is going along with it. He must not be thinking or seeing very clearly. I have to agree Maggs has backed himself into a corner. I think he'll find it hard to get out of.

QUOTE(SoIL @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 11:27 AM)
Hasn't Boras been saying Maggs is completely healthy since November? And didn't he, if not deny at least not mention or imply that Maggs didn't have shock treatment? It looks like one lie and ridiculous statement after another. I know this is how Borass operates, it's just surprising to me that Maggs is going along with it. He must not be thinking or seeing very clearly. I have to agree Maggs has backed himself into a corner. I think he'll find it hard to get out of.

He's been healthy, he's been working out blah, blah, blah... you name the lie Maggs and/or Borass has told them...

You know, I think this Maggs situation could really make or break Boras with quite a few teams. If some other teams are sitting there watching Texas or Detroit or whoever sign Maggs for 3+ years and 8 digit numbers, and in the first month of the season he goes on the DL for the rest of the season, they may be really skeptical about ever dealing with Boras again.

It's really a shame he always has the best players.

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
So basically....if he didn't switch agents to BorASS....do you think he'd still be a Whitesock but for the right contract.....say a 1 year incentive deal, and if not a Whitesock then someone else for a 1 year deal???

If Maggs didn't hire Boras we'd be paying him a lot more than just on incentives because he would have signed the 5/70 deal. Hindsight is 20/20.. but I say thank you Boras!! :ph34r: