Willie Harris Article

DBAHO

Interesting read from the Southtown;

Willie Harris left SoxFest two weeks ago feeling as if he'd be the White Sox's starting second baseman in 2005.

As of Wednesday, Harris doesn't know where — or even if — he fits into the club's plans.

With the Sox expected to officially announce the signing of Japanese second baseman Tadahito Iguchi today, all Harris had to do was look at the reported two-year, $5 million deal Iguchi is receiving to see the writing on the wall.

"They aren't going to pay him that type of money to sit," Harris told the Daily Southtown from his home in Cairo, Ga. "I don't know how to take it. I'm used to it. It's not the first time they've done something like this with me. If that's their guy, if he's going to help the team, let's go. I'm not backing down from him.

"Hopefully, they don't just hand him anything."

Harris wasn't about to start making threats to the club, especially after coming off a 2004 season in which he batted .262. However, the 26-year-old did say he wants a fair chance to challenge Iguchi in spring training, and if the club doesn't want Harris after that, it might be time for him to move on.

"I'm a grown man," Harris said. "If you don't want me, just tell me, 'Willie, you don't fit in.' Don't feed me from a long spoon when you got me back home getting ready like I'm a starter and then sign someone else ... it motivates me. If that's their guy, that's what they want, I just want a fair chance to challenge this guy.

"In the offseason they say they have great expectations in me and a lot of plans, and now this thing. It's tough for me to deal with, but I have to take it as another challenge and get ready to play," Harris added. "Now I'm hearing rumors that they want to trade me. It's a business, so that's up to them. If this team doesn't have plans for me, why not go ahead and get rid of me? I'm not saying it as a threat. But pretty much they're saying, 'Willie can't play.' "

In Iguchi, the Sox are getting a 30-year-old who led the Fukuoka Daiei Hawks of Japan's Pacific League in stolen bases in 2001 and 2003. He was also a four-time All-Star and won three Gold Glove Awards.

Iguchi is projected to be the No. 2 hitter for the Sox, behind Scott Podsednik. Considering Iguchi hit .333 last season with 24 home runs and 89 RBI, he could even take over leadoff duties if Podsednik struggles.

Harris began the 2004 season as the starter at second base, before losing time to Juan Uribe. After Harris hit just .182 in June, the Sox traded for veteran Roberto Alomar for the second straight year.

Harris believes all he needs is the club to keep him in the lineup, the way it allowed Aaron Rowand and Joe Crede to try to hit their way out of slumps last year.

"Why did I struggle last year? I didn't play," Harris said. "Now people are going to say, 'You got over 400 at-bats (409 total) last year.' But it's when you get those at-bats. They were sporadic.

"I feel like I've accomplished a lot this offseason, but now I don't know if I'll get to show it. I'm upset because it does say, 'They don't believe in you, Willie.' When am I going to get a chance to get at-bats after at-bats after at-bats, instead of sporadic at bats? That's all I'm asking."

Harris said he hadn't heard from anyone in the front office since SoxFest.

"This is a business," Harris said. "I really don't know what to think about this, but I don't have much of a choice. I just work here. I just have to deal with it."

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Willie doesn't seem the type to sit quietly on the bench, in a reduced role, get "sporadic" ab's, pinch run and do the little things a reserve would be expected to do. He's got his back up already, thinking he deserves to start. I don't see Willie coming out of ST w/ the sox, if he makes it there at all.

He should go to a team where he can start. Whether he does anything w/ the new team, who knows. But he shouldn't be on the sox for long.

BTW-does anyone else see comparisons with Willie's situation and D'Angelo Jimenez a little?

Is this a parallel to Aaron Rowand? They didn't think he was ready either, and brought in Lofton and Everett to do his job. Willie shouldn't whine, play well when you're in there and if you're as good as you think you are the opportunity will come.

Ozzie plays players who play good. Earn your playing time.

The article basically confirms Dave Wills' contention that Willie thinks he's a star. He has accomplished nothing his major league career yet has the nerve to b**** about the team trying to improve itself and bring in a possible upgrade to his postion. He can talk all he wants, but he needs to get a clue and do his talking on the field. Willie hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt yet. Everytime the White Sox have counted on him, they have eventually had to bring in someone else. He says he didn't play last year, that's why he struggled. Give me a break.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 06:53 AM)
Interesting read from the Southtown;

I couldn't disagree with anything in the article.

...and he's completely right, if you don't yank him out of the lineup when he's hitting .330 and bench him for 5 straight games and then expect him to be an all star every other day when you finally decide to play him your nuts. Rowand didn't start to hit until he was left in the lineup for a few weeks and that was only because of a hitting streak (could you imagine where we'd be now if AROW happened to be an 0-4 that day. Timo would of gotten about another 100 at bats in CF :puke )

He's right. They either need to give him a fair chance to make the starting job or trade him. You can't blame a guy for being a little pissed when the organization has jerked him around so often.

I like how he refers to himself in the 3rd person. :lol: Great players have a tendancy to do that.

If I'm White Sox management at SoxFest, I'm in no hurry to tell him, "Uh, Willie. Just to let you know, we're trying to sign Iguchi for 2B." Why should they, who knew for certain they'd get the deal done?

beck72 says it best here, this is not a guy you want on the bench. At this stage of his career, he is not a good bench player ... and he basically admits it.

If Willie is hearing rumors he might be traded, he's probably hearing right.

There are people on this board thinking he should get some reps at SS and 3B and be the utility guy. beck72 also said it best, this is not little league. A guy cannot just learn two new positions in spring training and be expected to contribute at the major league level.

I do agree with Willie on one thing ... if the Sox have no plans for him, get a trade done.

I told you guys this POS was trouble the day Baltimore passed his sorry butt off on us..

Selfish, big mouthed, baby..  :crying  :crying

I re-read the BA Prospect Handbook from a couple years ago, when Harris was rated one of their Top 10.

Now, BA is certainly not the be-all, end-all. But they were raving about his work ethic, and drive. The write up also said his "makeup" was off the charts.

It goes to show, we should not believe everything we read. It's also possible he changed somewhat when he got to the big leagues.

Either way, at this point it's a bad marriage and it's time to cut the cord.

Willie has some skills.. he wouldn't be where he was without them.. it's his BS attitude that kills him. Exactly what I was told. He's a punk.

Totally consistent with every criticism leveled at Harris by those close to the team ... Melton, Wills, Rooney, etc.

I personally don't know, nor do I pretend to. But I believe 100% that's the problem. Too much smoke to be no fire.

The other problem is, word gets around. Other teams probably know about this too, which affects the trade value.

But really, who cares. They gave up little, rolled the dice, it didn't work out. So even if they get little in return it's not that big of a deal. A solid citizen utility IF would be nice.

Well, he has closed the case on something I already knew. he is a dumb ass. Contradicting his own quotes, referring to himself in the third person, and being ignorant to the fact that this team probably told him several times how he needed to play.

"They aren't going to pay him that type of money to sit," "Hopefully, they don't just hand him anything."- Contradict.

"I'm a grown man," I can tell from this teenage statement "When am I going to get a chance to get at-bats after at-bats after at-bats, instead of sporadic at bats? That's all I'm asking." ding ding ding- You won't- maybe you shouldn't talk on your cell phone when signing autograghs. Its not about you Willie never was, its about the team. Its the team Willie.

"This is a business," Harris said. "I really don't know what to think about this, but I don't have much of a choice. I just work here. I just have to deal with it." here is an idea, shut up, play hard, do your damn job and act humble. If someone came and took my job and bounced me down, I would wonder why and how I could improve, but I am sure he was told about 50 times.

Now more than ever I want this rapper want to be off the team. Sayonara Willie

he is a dumb ass.

"I'm a grown man," I can tell from this teenage statement "When am I going to get a chance to get at-bats after at-bats after at-bats, instead of sporadic at bats? That's all I'm asking." ding ding ding- You won't- maybe you shouldn't talk on your cell phone when signing autograghs.

Sayonara Willie

:lol:

:lolhitting

While I can certainly see why people are fed up with Willie, you have to admit the Sox and especially Ozzie send mixed signals sometimes. Willie's right, the team has gone back and forth about him. Just one week ago, Ozzie said that if Willie plays to his potential the team would have no problems. I don't know, that would sound to me like Willie not only has the starting job, but also will play a huge role in 2005. One week later, he's not starting and might be off the team.

Remember how Valentin was his team 'leader'? Apparently he was so much of a leader that the team decided to get rid fo him.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)
While I can certainly see why people are fed up with Willie, you have to admit the Sox and especially Ozzie send mixed signals sometimes.  Willie's right, the team has gone back and forth about him.  Just one week ago, Ozzie said that if Willie plays to his potential the team would have no problems.    I don't know, that would sound to me like Willie not only has the starting job, but also will play a huge role in 2005.  One week later, he's not starting and might be off the team.

Remember how Valentin was his team 'leader'? Apparently he was so much of a leader that the team decided to get rid fo him.

How long do you keep a team leader that bats 213. Till he's sixty? i mean really its time to move on. Willie has an attitude problem we will never know the full extent, but we get snipnets of a guy that is not proven and the sox don't want to let him prove himself out for there own reasons. The boy needs to go.

So then how was he possibly the team leader?? By Rah Rah cheerleading?

The point is Ozzie needs to stop making those comments, because guess what, the players actually listen and believe him. Same goes for the Wille comments.

Yes, Willie must go.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 03:28 PM)
How long do you keep a team leader that bats 213. Till he's sixty? i mean really its time to move on. Willie has an attitude problem we will never know the full extent, but we get snipnets of a guy that is not proven and the sox don't want to let him prove himself out for there own reasons. The boy needs to go.

While I can certainly see why people are fed up with Willie, you have to admit the Sox and especially Ozzie send mixed signals sometimes.  Willie's right, the team has gone back and forth about him.  Just one week ago, Ozzie said that if Willie plays to his potential the team would have no problems.    I don't know, that would sound to me like Willie not only has the starting job, but also will play a huge role in 2005.  One week later, he's not starting and might be off the team.

That's part of life dealing with the media. They certainly can't come out and say "he's a goner".

If Robbie Alomar had performed last year, Harris probably would already be gone.

I couldn't disagree with anything in the article.

...and he's completely right, if you don't yank him out of the lineup when he's hitting .330 and bench him for 5 straight games and then expect him to be an all star every other day when you finally decide to play him your nuts. Rowand didn't start to hit until he was left in the lineup for a few weeks and that was only because of a hitting streak (could you imagine where we'd be now if AROW happened to be an 0-4 that day. Timo would of gotten about another 100 at bats in CF  :puke )

He's right. They either need to give him a fair chance to make the starting job or trade him. You can't blame a guy for being a little pissed when the organization has jerked him around so often.

I gotta disagree with you, The Sox have given Harris every chance to prove himself and failing time and time again. Look at Rowand, when did you hear him b**** about playing time he made the most of what they gave him. Harris, has the SamME attidue it seems, and it isn't needed on this team. I would love to eat my words and see him succeed somewhere else.. but he never will, he wants teams to "give" him a job..but doesn't have the merit yet, he never earned the job.

Willie's problem is not unique. He is only 26 in a sport/profession where he has the potential to make millions if he produces. It is hard to produce from the bench. Our lineup is now pretty well set in the positions he can play. I expect if Iguchi looks okay in spring training, Willie will be moved for prospects or injury coverage. There is a reason most utility guys are older. You need the attitude of being happy to make several hundred thousand and help the team, not I am a star. I liked that he said it would motivate him. If he plays well in the spring it enhances his trade value. I can understand being pissed when told that "we have great plans for you" and then a somewhat (from Willie's standpoint) unproven guy is given millions for your job.

I say get rid of him. I understand he is frusterated, but it takes a real perfesional to keep your mouth shut.. *cough-*cough Rowand!

Rowand got shafted waaayyyy more than Willie ever did. And Rowand kept his mouth shut and gave his all every oppurtunity that arised for him. Patience has payed off for him. Rowand is a true team player. Willie on the other hand had to open up his mouth and start whining. I hope KW read that article and is busy as we speak working on a plan to get rid of him.