Remembering the Holocaust

southsider2k5

The way the world acted to the plight of the Jews in Germany during the holocaust was shameful during the existence of the Third Reich.

I took a course in Holocaust History in college, and it was the single most gut wrenching study I ever did. Not only did the Germans obviously have bloody hands, but other countries pre World War II generally supported the systemic oppression of Jewish people.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
As civilized as this world has been, it's amazing about the barbaric acts done during the Holocaust.

And the ones Stalin did, and Rwanda, and gender killings in China, and the disappeared in South America, and the Japanese Interment camps.....

Even slavery in America was not really THAT long ago if you think about it. Funny how people went along with that kind of crap and saw nothing wrong with it back then. Nowadays we look back on it and gasp as if it was some alien life form that did all that s***.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 08:06 PM)
As civilized as this world has been, it's amazing about the barbaric acts done during the Holocaust.

Considering that the US attempts to take the moral ground, the internment of the Japanese was just wrong. Basically, it was wrong because a large percentage of those people were US citizens. In-f***ing-excusable.

Having said that, the attrocities of the Bataan Death March makes the aforementioned internment look like a day in the park.

Comparing the Bataan Death March to the Holocost is like the old molehill to mountain comparison.

Perspective is important.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 28, 2005 -> 12:51 PM)
Considering that the US attempts to take the moral ground, the internment of the Japanese was just wrong.  Basically, it was wrong because a large percentage of those people were US citizens.  In-f***ing-excusable.

Having said that, the attrocities of the Bataan Death March makes the aforementioned internment look like a day in the park.

Comparing the Bataan Death March to the Holocost is like the old molehill to mountain comparison. 

Perspective is important.

Thanks, I was mostly just using that example because all of these atrocities mentioned have taken place far away. People usually don't mention huge US human rights violations like internment camps (albeit less, obviously, than the others) or the Trail of Tears....

QUOTE(winodj @ Jan 27, 2005 -> 11:30 AM)
The way the world acted to the plight of the Jews in Germany during the holocaust was shameful during the existence of the Third Reich.

I took a course in Holocaust History in college, and it was the single most gut wrenching study I ever did. Not only did the Germans obviously have bloody hands, but other countries pre World War II generally supported the systemic oppression of Jewish people.

None worse then then us in the United States. Boat loads of Jews came over seeking refuge from the Nazis and we just turned them around and told them to go back home. :headshake