Winter Progress Report

KevHead0881

He actually liked most of Kenny's moves...

Best moves II:  White Sox acquire Scott Podsednik and sign Jermaine Dye. It wasn't getting done for the Sox with the Paul Konerko-Carlos Lee-Magglio Ordonez trio. And with Frank Thomas' moodiness, the Sox's chemistry has been more inconsistent than a high school science lab. Credit GM Kenny Williams for starting an overdue makeover on the South Side. Podsednik's speed gives the White Sox the leadoff hitter they need and Dye, if healthy, is solid both offensively and defensively. Both are manager Ozzie Guillen's kind of players.

He didn't like the re-signing of Ben Davis...

Worst move:  White Sox re-sign catcher Ben Davis for one year and $1 million. The fact that Davis is still earning a million bucks simply proves that, relatively speaking, maybe Nicole Richie and Paris Hilton actually are earning every penny of what they make. If he was as good behind the plate as he is in front of the mirror, there would be no stopping this guy.

Since when is $1 million way too much money for a backup catcher that is pretty good defensively? What did the Cubs just pay for the purely defensive backtop, Henry Blanco? Oh yeah, 2-years, $2.7 million. :rolly

White Sox re-sign catcher Ben Davis for one year and $1 million. The fact that Davis is still earning a million bucks simply proves that, relatively speaking, maybe Nicole Richie and Paris Hilton actually are earning every penny of what they make. If he was as good behind the plate as he is in front of the mirror, there would be no stopping this guy.

:bang :lolhitting

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jan 28, 2005 -> 02:07 PM)
He didn't like the re-signing of Ben Davis...

Since when is $1 million way too much money for a backup catcher that is pretty good defensively?  What did the Cubs just pay for the purely defensive backtop, Henry Blanco?  Oh yeah, 2-years, $2.7 million. :rolly

I have to agree. Plus you have to remember that at the time signing AJ was far from a done deal. Davis made like what 1.3 Mil last season, KW got him to take a pay cut. Had he not resigned him at all and AJ didn't get signed we would have a catching Duo of Burke and ??????.

Also I guarantee you that AJ would have demanded way more then he got had Davis not been resigned because he would of smelt the desperation at having Burke be our only major league ready C. Davis was a necessary signing no matter how to look at it.

Everyone knows if the Scrubs made all these moves for all the same players they would hearld this on high about how the "Great" Scrubs are destined to win it all now!!! These would be the best moves ever by any team.... its the typical BS as normal. The Sox have to prove they are good.....

My extreme loyalty to the Sox has me jaded. I don't think I can look at rankings like this objectively. I still think the White Sox had the best offseason in the AL Central and one of the top 10 in the MLB considering our budget.

Now shagging fly balls behind the real estate sign: His glory days in Texas well behind him, Juan Gonzalez is stuck in the AL Central and he can't get out. He's bounced from Detroit to Cleveland to Kansas City (with a stop in Texas in between) and, now, back to Cleveland on a minor-league deal. Can he still play? Not too often: He hasn't played in more than 82 games since 2001, and he made it to the gate in only 33 games for Kansas City last year. Juan Gone did hit 41 homers and knock in 94 runs during his one year in Cleveland, but that was back in 2001. The only team in the division he hasn't played for is Minnesota. Juan, we've got some property in Excelsior to show you....

I may be wrong on this, but I can't recall Juan Gonzo ever playing for us...

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jan 28, 2005 -> 03:35 PM)
My extreme loyalty to the Sox has me jaded.  I don't think I can look at rankings like this objectively.  I still think the White Sox had the best offseason in the AL Central and one of the top 10 in the MLB considering our budget.

Agreed, and the majority of the 1200 voters so far in that poll feel the White Sox have had the best offseason too.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 28, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
I think we obsess too much over what other's think.  I like what KW has done.

I just think we should have gotten more for Lee.  Kolb + Pods.

Too bad by the time we did the deal kolb was no longer on the brewers.

I really wish we would have gotten Podsednik, Vizcaino, AND Keith Ginter instead of Hinton (the minor league prospect). Ginter could have been our fall-back plan for Crede at 3B and he's a righty bat. Oh well, I guess there's no point in crying over it now. :crying

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 28, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)

Kolb costs $2.1 million more than Vizcaino, and the Lee trade happened two days after the Kolb trade. The Braves also had to give up a lot of talent for Kolb.

I really wish we would have gotten Podsednik, Vizcaino, AND Keith Ginter instead of Hinton (the minor league prospect).  Ginter could have been our fall-back plan for Crede at 3B and he's a righty bat.  Oh well, I guess there's no point in crying over it now. :crying

But then again, had we gotten Ginter in that trade, he would likely had been our starting 2nd baseman or in a platoon with Willie and we would not have signed Iguchi. I like what Iguchi brings to the table moreso than what Ginter does.

QUOTE(Hall of Famer @ Jan 28, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)
I may be wrong on this, but I can't recall Juan Gonzo ever playing for us...

You should never let the facts get in the way of a good rip job. :rolly