indians sign shuey

CLEVELAND (AP) — The Indians signed right-hander Paul Shuey to a minor league contract on Friday to provide some cushion for their problematic bullpen.

Shuey, a member of the Indians during their last postseason appearance in 2001, was invited to major league spring training camp.

The 34-year-old missed last season with Los Angeles because of a ruptured tendon in his right thumb and a hip injury that required season-ending surgery.

Shuey spent 11 seasons with Cleveland after being drafted with the second overall pick in 1992. He posted a 3.60 ERA in 361 appearances with Cleveland, but was limited by recurring injuries.

“He is a person and player who made a very positive impact in his time here,” Indians general manager Mark Shapiro said. “It is our hope that his return will have the same positive impact.”

Cleveland traded Shuey to Los Angeles in July 2002 for pitchers Terry Mulholland, Francisco Cruceta and Ricardo Rodriguez.

Shuey has a career record of 45-27 with 22 saves and a 3.57 ERA with Cleveland and Los Angeles.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 12:52 AM)
I thought Shuey had retired.

He just took the entire year off that i know of.

Paul Shuey will sit out the rest of the season to have a third procedure on his right hip. Shuey's arm is in great shape, but his career is in jeopardy because of the degenerative condition in his hip. ''I have to do this. Otherwise, I'm giving up the game,'' he said. Doctors plan to restructure the joint in the front of the hip, and might use a titanium implant. If that doesn't work, the next step would be hip replacement surgery, and ''you can't pitch if you have'' that, Shuey, 33, said.

The indians were not the best choice for him sonce their pen is maxed out.

Indians signed RHP Paul Shuey to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training. This is the best Shuey could do? The Indians don't need more relief help. Even if Shuey shows up healthy after missing last season due to hip surgery, there probably won't be room for him in a Cleveland pen that's already eight deep: Bob Wickman, Bobby Howry, David Riske, Rafael Betancourt, Jason Davis, Matt Miller, Arthur Rhodes and Scott Sauerbeck.